Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Then & Now

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bardsey
    Originally posted by Fran
    but used to like playiong with the 2 tin cans which had strings attached and you walked on them. oh they were the days .....

We used to attach string to 2 cans but use them as walky talkies! Anyone else do that, or was I just a strange child
    Fran, Sorry I'm so thick. I realised after I sent the above that you DID mean talk on them..

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by Bardsey
    Fran, Sorry I'm so thick. I realised after I sent the above that you DID mean talk on them..
    Noo...I remember *walking* on them. Sort of 'junior stilts'.

Originally posted by Emma
    Noo...I remember *walking* on them. Sort of 'junior stilts'.
    Oh you're right! I'd forgotten about doing that too! But does anyone remember trying to use them as walky talkies???? Come on guys, help me out here, I wasn't so odd!!!!

B.T.C.
    Oh you're right! I'd forgotten about doing that too! But does anyone remember trying to use them as walky talkies???? Come on guys, help me out here, I wasn't so odd!!!!

Sorry but we were so poor we couldn't afford tin cans. We used to dream of tin cans............................ and string ???? You mean real string..........luxury !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Bill
    Sorry but we were so poor we couldn't afford tin cans. We used to dream of tin cans............................ and string ???? You mean real string..........luxury !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well we did used to scour the dustbins for them...... you know....dustbins, rich people put their rubbish in them, as opposed to us poor white trash, who used to just dump it in the street

The Forum Legend
    C'mon Bill....

We all know that things you liked to do in your youth that you can't do now, include things like hunting dinosaurs, inventing the wheel and fire etc.....

Steve

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    C'mon Bill....

We all know that things you liked to do in your youth that you can't do now, include things like hunting dinosaurs, inventing the wheel and fire etc.....

Steve

Dinosaurs were too scared to venture into my neighbourhood ......................and wheels........ that was a luxury. And fire.... for wimps. You don't need fire in the NE of Scotland. I was tough at 5 and I'm still pretty tough for a five year old

The Forum Legend
    I was tough at 5 and I'm still pretty tough for a five year old

Steve

Not cans, but plastic cups with a length of string: yes

What about those folded paper things that you used to put on your fingers and go "Pick a colour, pick a number" and after a lot of flicking of the thing this way and that, you'd get some sort of thing read out from the inside like "you fancy Bobby Dirty Pants" or something.... ....

Px

Originally posted by Pammy
    Not cans, but plastic cups with a length of string: yes

Px
    Plastic Cups????? Had they been invented????? I was obviously poorer than I thought.... and you too, Bill..... now plastic cups WOULD have been a luxury

Thanks though, Pammy, at least I know I wasn't the only one (plus my brother of whoever on the other end) standing in the street, talking into, in my case, a tin can and in yours, a plastic cup.

Imagine it, standing there in the street yelling into a tin can.....you'd be straight to the child psychologist these days (there you are, there's another for the list).

What about those folded paper things that you used to put on your fingers and go "Pick a colour, pick a number" and after a lot of flicking of the thing this way and that, you'd get some sort of thing read out from the inside like "you fancy Bobby Dirty Pants" or something.... ....

Px
    Sorry Pammy, missed that bit. Yes I remember doing that, funny thing was, we half believed it was true, didn't we? Actually the kids still do them. I had one done on me the other week and apparently I'm going to marry Robbie Williams.......so there

Sorry Pammy, missed that bit. Yes I remember doing that, funny thing was, we half believed it was true, didn't we? Actually the kids still do them. I had one done on me the other week and apparently I'm going to marry Robbie Williams.......so there
    Bugger; I'd always get someone like Jeremy Beadle

Bardsy you are a star, what a great posting
    dont forget the tv programmes of old - from muffin the mule to tiswas.

Let's not forget cutting up all the cereal boxes and toilet rolls to make the "thing" that Blue Peter were featuring that week....

Marbles, from the pee-wee, through to the god-size, from milky ways, galaxies, milkies, crystals, snowies, spaghettis (my favourite!) to dragons...

Ra-Ra skirts; I did a cartwheel and mine ripped all the way up the back!

Leg warmers and those gloves that had little faces on the ends of the fingers...

Rubbers and pencils that smelled of food; I had a swiss roll rubber that would definitely have been banned these days as it smelt of chocolate. Unsharpened pencils, double-sided pencil cases and collectible stickers.

Oh, and home fireworks were always disappointing. No matter what the box said, it was always one of those that went up, made a naff *pop* and chucked out a bit of glitter and that was it!

I always wanted to get one of my drawings on Tony's Harts Gallery at the end of Hartbeat...

Let's not forget, the saddest film of all time, no, not Bambi (although I did cry in that too), but Watership Down *Brighteyes, burning like fire*
    Last edited by Pammy; 28th-October-2003 at 12:40 PM.

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Bardsy you are a star, what a great posting
    dont forget the tv programmes of old - from muffin the mule to tiswas.
    Thank you and thanks for starting the post in the first place. I've had great fun reading everyone's replies.

My God, Muffin the Mule! I have a photo of myself with him.....now stop laughing I was only 4 years old!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pammy

Rubbers and pencils that smelled of food; I had a swiss roll rubber that would definitely have been banned these days as it smelt of chocolate. Unsharpened pencils, double-sided pencil cases and collectible stickers.

Okay now I have to know....where can I get one of those that smell of chocolate.... might stem my craving for the damn stuff!

Oh, and home fireworks were always disappointing. No matter what the box said, it was always one of those that went up and chucked out a bit of glitter and that was it!

Another thing about fireworks, how we used to go to the bonfire site the next day, find all the used fireworks and scoop out any remaining powder, put it in a tin then throw in a lighted match and see how big a bang we could make. DEFINITELY not allowed these days. It's a wonder some of us made it to adulthood when you think of the stupid things we did..... but we're still here!!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    I always wanted to get one of my drawings on Tony's Harts Gallery at the end of Hartbeat...
    Hartbeat ? Nick Berry cant draw can he? You mean Take Hart or its predecessor Vision On - i remember them

What i remember most about TV was the fact that it went off - TV programs are on 24 hours a day now...sad really. No more colour test signals, teletext rotations, pictures of the girl in front of the noughts and crosses blackboard with that weird muppet. Anyone remember that on ITV if they needed a filler between programs they would play a music video - used to happen quite a lot.

An annoying thing is that there was always complaints of 'the same old repeats' on TV when i was growing up. Then video recorders came out and there was even less excuse for repeated programs - and yet now...cable/sat channels seem to have a policy of repeats in the same week...and a cycle every few months/years too...wheres the logic ? We have to pay a licence fee PLUS cable/sat channel fees while they pad their schedule with the same programs over and over and over.

Also Directory Enquiries - anyone used it recently - first you have to get a valid number 118 something then you wait for them to intoduce themselves robotically and listen to ringing whilst they fail to find an operator. Took me 3 attempts to find a number last time. Who decided 192 was a monopoly that needed splitting up? Stupidest idea ever. If it aint broke, dont fix it. No one benefits except some shareholders.

right ...that'll do for now

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Also Directory Enquiries - anyone used it recently - first you have to get a valid number 118 something then you wait for them to intoduce themselves robotically and listen to ringing whilst they fail to find an operator. Took me 3 attempts to find a number last time. Who decided 192 was a monopoly that needed splitting up? Stupidest idea ever. If it aint broke, dont fix it. No one benefits except some shareholders.

I agree with you completely on this one. Worse thing they ever did, splitting it up. I can't ever remember the 118 numbers and when I eventually do get through, I have someone who I think is sitting at a switchboard in India trying to find me a number in Wetherby

The following is a free alternative to the 118 numbers:

www.ukphonebook.co.uk

Of course, its only useful if you are sitting in front of your computer at the time ;-)

Ian

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Hartbeat ? Nick Berry cant draw can he? You mean Take Hart or its predecessor Vision On - i remember them
    It came after Take Hart; I distinctly remember the music..

Hart BEAT Beat beat .. beat.. beat.. beat.. repeating........

Thread Information