Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Dance teaching qualifications

Commercial Operator

Re: Dance teaching qualifications

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    It must be only thing you haven't dressed up as
    I do have the hat*. It's just the blue latex that worries me. My colour analyst says that shade of blue makes me look washed out.

*and the small penis characteristic of all Smurfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    It's a problem for almost all us smooth young boys - although I would say that, for most people it's usually related to yanking or jerking

Um! that's a very Frank....errrr comment
    Last edited by SPROGGS; 29th-May-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The SJA or "Smooth Jive Association" is in existance, but in it's infancy. It is currently being looked at by the UKA and is very likely to be recognised by them. It has been set up by a handful of smooth jive teachers and there are people qualified to teach it, one being in Sussex.

Im sure you will hear more about it soon. Cant be bothered to write it all down as packing for Southport at the mo.

Now the bigger questions should be "should dance teachers be qualified full stop" and "should there be re-tests every couple of years"

I use two local teachers to me as an example. One has no qualifications and is pretty dangerous with it. Teaching beginners drops etc.

The other has been teaching 5 or so years, has Leroc training, yet has reduced people to tears (yes I have seen one poor girl crying) due to the violent way he dances (or trys to dance).
    Last edited by Lee Bartholomew; 29th-May-2008 at 08:06 PM.

I guess this is a South East England thingy.

Wild claims of "being the only one".

Claims of associations which might happen, and claims, that "we are the best".

Good luck boys

Fight fair

As for me I have no dance qualifications as in shiny pieces of paper.
    I do however train dance teachers, teach at weekenders, help with corrie and judge at comps... so go figure... I have not yet felt the need to seek "association".

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I guess this is a South East England thingy.

Wild claims of "being the only one".

Claims of associations which might happen, and claims, that "we are the best".

Good luck boys

Fight fair

As for me I have no dance qualifications as in shiny pieces of paper.
    I do however train dance teachers, teach at weekenders, help with corrie and judge at comps... so go figure... I have not yet felt the need to seek "association".
    I thought that it was Duncan McLeod in Highlander that was the only one - maybe he needs to come out with his sword to settle all of this? Mind you he was supposed to be Scottish so he might all Sussex-based teachers just in case..

For me I'm never impressed by associations, pieces of paper etc. I've several professional certifications in my chosen profession that are simply a recognition that at one point in time I was judged and found acceptable in something - one of these is now 20 years old. I suspect that dance is much the same, unless there is a regular programme of re-tests. I'm just qualifying as a life coach and this requires me to have formal professional 'supervision' so for the first time a certification might turn out to be a living, breathing thing - if UKA does the same then you just might get some value from association.

I've been to several venues now in my travels and largely the teachers have all been competent at teaching so not sure what the paper what give you other than bragging rights, and yet I doubt any of us would be impressed so can't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    My own opinion is the MJ is a smooth dance without a hand bounce, just like all other partner dances I can think of.
    Rock and roll?

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    I've been to several venues now in my travels and largely the teachers have all been competent at teaching so not sure what the paper what give you other than bragging rights, and yet I doubt any of us would be impressed so can't see the point.
    Well firstly you have to respect the person assesing you.

I have no desire to teach like a Ceroc or LeRoc clone.

I do not see Franck, Victor or even Mike Ellard (in his early days of teaching) as being Ceroc clones, they are well respected and competent teachers, who do not always "stick to the Ceroc basic rules" - that is what makes them stand out.

In my early years I travelled to London and sort out Victor and Mike Ellard (and Linda - who I have a lot of respect for, as she always remembered my name and always danced with me, even when I was a newby - Linda, that meant so much to me, thanks so much), plus a few other classes, as well as learning a lot from my local teacher.
    I never asked them for pieces of paper, just enjoyed the class and learnt stuff.

Ceroc Teachers Association List of Current Teachers(*) -- scroll down to the end.

SpinDr

(*) well in 2003 anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    I use two local teachers to me as an example. One has no qualifications and is pretty dangerous with it. Teaching beginners drops etc.

The other has been teaching 5 or so years, has Leroc training, yet has reduced people to tears (yes I have seen one poor girl crying) due to the violent way he dances (or trys to dance).

Are you offering these as role models? or is it just a "Secret Desire" of yours

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    Ceroc Teachers Association List of Current Teachers(*) -- scroll down to the end.

SpinDr

(*) well in 2003 anyway

That is really quite scary

No previous Ceroc req,,,, and the bit about being on hand all evening - well I do agree, it is a good thing, but does it always happen with Ceroc?

The SJA or "Smooth Jive Association" is in existance, but in it's infancy. It is currently being looked at by the UKA and is very likely to be recognised by them. It has been set up by a handful of smooth jive teachers and there are people qualified to teach it, one being in Sussex.

Sounds good, sadly I have never heard of the SJA (But then I do live by the sea)

As it is currently being reviewed by the UKA I assume that it is being driven by David Plumber or Jim & Nicki of Dance Riveria?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    next time i dress as a smurf i want to find blue body paint - the blue latex was horrible (i had to order that from an online sex shop )
    I hate to go off-topic (yeah, right) but I can't help wondering why sex shops have smurf outfits?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Well firstly you have to respect the person assesing you.

(and Linda - who I have a lot of respect for, as she always remembered my name and always danced with me, even when I was a newby - Linda, that meant so much to me, thanks so much),

Good grief Martin....Get a grip of yourself (No not that bit ) and stop dribbling on your keyboard

No I better reword this- Um! Oh just go and have a cold shower...

SPROGGS

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I hate to go off-topic (yeah, right) but I can't help wondering why sex shops have smurf outfits?

Perhaps a SJA member can recommend one for you in Hastings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    Perhaps a SJA member can recommend one for you in Hastings
    I am NOT dressing as a sex-smurf. Not even if Mr McGregor paid me.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The SJA or "Smooth Jive Association" is in existance, but in it's infancy.
    As is Smurf Jive Our initials are also SJA and we were here first....Sounds like you've been "found out" with your "accreditation"

It is currently being looked at by the UKA and is very likely to be recognised by them.

So it isn't recognised by anyone now then ? Are you on the board then that you know it is "very likely" ?

It has been set up by a handful of smooth jive teachers and there are people qualified to teach it, one being in Sussex.
    So this is a completely new thing and not like the smooth Jive Ceroc, Amir, Nigel and Nina, LeRoc, Rocksters and many others have taught for years ? Whats different about it. It's not just a marketing gimmick is it?

Im sure you will hear more about it soon. Cant be bothered to write it all down as packing for Southport at the mo.
    Charmed i'm sure

Now the bigger questions should be "should dance teachers be qualified full stop" and "should there be re-tests every couple of years"
    Bigger questions? Sounds like simply a different question to deflect from the question of smooth jive.

And SmoothJive accreditation will prevent any of this from ever happening again? Glad to hear it. You might went to save "perfect" up for a few years, it would shock people if they got it without being introduced to it slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    As is Smurf Jive Our initials are also SJA and we were here first....

Ah! So they are trying to get accreditation on the back of a Smurf

My vote is for the Smurf Jive Association.....But I am not keen on wearing Blue Lycra...

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I am NOT dressing as a sex-smurf. Not even if Mr McGregor paid me.
    If you do fancy dressing as a sex-smurf and you want an outfit for your male companion I hear that CJ might have a suit for sale soon............

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    Good grief Martin....Get a grip of yourself (No not that bit ) and stop dribbling on your keyboard

No I better reword this- Um! Oh just go and have a cold shower..

SPROGGS
    Sorry about the dribble. fortunately I missed the keybard when dribbling.

my little () comment was the fact that Mike Ellards partner all those years back, took time to say hi to me, took time to dance with me, took time with a relative beginner to remember my name and to chat to me. She made me feel welcome etc, and knew I took time to drive up from Brighton to come to the London classes.
    She made the effort to come up to me, to initiate chat and a dance request.

What I am saying is huge to her

Thank you Linda.

I think she is "Lindyloo" on the forum
    Last edited by Martin; 30th-May-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Thread Information