Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Dance teaching qualifications

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Dance teaching qualifications

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Looks fine to me... although it helps if you use the right URL: (http://www.leroc.org.uk/)

Ah was given the wrong url by msn live search

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    I think the greatest reviewers of all are the dancers.
    Greatest? Probably the worst. There are thousands of people who watch Big Brother and think it is good TV - I think they are idiots and are no judge of what makes good TV

I suppose by definition, those who go to learn dance, don't know anything about dance

How many people have failed their Leroc exams? Would be interested on knowing the pass rate. The CTA is a little different in that there is a larger commercial interest at stake.
    They're not different in this context : you do an exam, you do, or do not, get a qualification to teach dance after it. The people examining you are there for that purpose and as far as they are concerned, a pass makes you a proper qualified dance teacher.

there are plenty of really good teachers out there that don't have the Leroc or CTA qual, but still teach to a very high standard
    but you can't be sure until you go, and if you have no one to compare them to you may think it is good teaching when it isn't. Kind of like getting Biology at school entirely taught by a biased Creationist - hey, if he is really interesting and you learn loads, it must be a high standard !

With a qualification, you know someone can teach dance at a certain level, even if they teach it badly i.e. they are boring, they teach moves and nothing else etc...
    With no qualification, you can be sure of nothing. They may be great of course .

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I never moan - I poke and ridicule
    Your current status notwithstanding (or is that a scream?)

I think the greatest reviewers of all are the dancers.]
    Nope .. have to disagree. Some of the WORST technical teachers I have seen have been held up as 'great teachers' by punters .... who then go an dance badly elsewhere

Thats the point im trying to make is the Leroc and CTA are a good grounding in teacher training, they dont always produce good teachers.
    Have to disagree ... at best they show you how to demonstrate moves in an entertaining way. I've seen three recent 'graduates' from LeRoc ... and they were universally poor instructors (IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Have to disagree ... at best they show you how to demonstrate moves in an entertaining way.
    I don't really know anything about Leroc training, but from what I know of CTA training, I believe that candidates are trained how to front a Ceroc night: they are taught how to demonstrate and describe a move, and they are assessed on how well they execute it, how closely they follow the script, and whether they can do it in a sufficiently entertaining way. As far as I know, neither dance theory nor teaching theory are significant elements of the assessment (and therefore of the qualification). But this is completely my second-hand impression, so anyone who has done CTA please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I don't really know anything about Leroc training, but from what I know of CTA training, I believe that candidates are trained how to front a Ceroc night: they are taught how to demonstrate and describe a move, and they are assessed on how well they execute it, how closely they follow the script, and whether they can do it in a sufficiently entertaining way. As far as I know, neither dance theory nor teaching theory are significant elements of the assessment (and therefore of the qualification). But this is completely my second-hand impression, so anyone who has done CTA please correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Much of the Beginners Course is spent on learning the 'script' and teaching method but your description is incomplete as it involves quite a lot of technique, which is to be taught in an entertaining way and a lot of the teaching theory is built-into the script and training course.

Further courses now include a lot more than moves and all teachers within Ceroc have to take annual training courses which include technique and other specific dance training. This is a recent development (over the last 2 or 3 years), and I think a significant one!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Cool Re: Dance teaching qualifications

Makes you wonder how people learned to dance for the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years before "teaching people to dance qualifications" were implemented - osmosis?

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Makes you wonder how people learned to dance for the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years before "teaching people to dance qualifications" were implemented - osmosis?
    ??? Same could be said about any area of education ..... People seemed to wage war pretty well before Sandhurst was opened

Commercial Operator

Re: West coast swing.....seriously!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Yes, several.

Stray: just leave it...they're not worth it
    Really? Who? What internationally recognised qualification is that then?

Thread Information