Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dance teaching qualifications

Dance teaching qualifications

There are teaching qualifications for CeRoc, LeRoc, Salsa, etc recognised by bodies like the UKA. Is there one for Smooth Jive? Or is smooth Jive just a "trend" rather than having it's own syllabus?
    SPROGGS

Re: Dance teaching qualifications

I first came across the expression "Smooth Jive" being used by David Plumber of JiveVibe, since then other jive organisations have used the same phrase. Essentially it attempts to remove the bounce that is common in many Ceroc/Jive offerings. Also it borrows the slot from WCS.

I don't know of any offical qualifications offered in it that are recognised by any body such as the UKA. Infact even being a Ceroc trained (CTA) does not (or at least did not 2 years ago) gain any recognition by the UKA. As far as I am aware only LeRoc teachers are recognised by the UKA. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong in that.

Having said all that having a qualification does not mean you can teach, or dance for that matter!

Onkar
    Last edited by onkar; 29th-May-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Typo's

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onkar View Post
    Essentially it attempts to remove the bounce that is common in many Ceroc/Jive offerings. Also it borrows the slot from WCS.
    Something done by Ceroc for years too, to be fair, and they didn't bother calling it anything

As far as I am aware only LeRoc teachers are recognised by the UKA. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong in that.
    True as far as I'm aware, as Ceroc have their own internal training. Someone with experience of both will need to point out which is "better"

Having said all that having a qualification does not mean you can teach, or dance for that matter!
    It proves that someone who reviewed you thinks you can teach - it then depends how good a reputation those reviewers have.

Commercial Operator

I first came across the expression "Smooth Jive" being used by David Plumber of JiveVibe, since then other jive organisations have used the same phrase.

snip

Also it borrows the slot from WCS
    Dave and I have had many discussions on this subject. The first time I met Dave he was a DJ at a weekender where I was performing a cabaret and judging their dance competition. Dave's dancing was very bouncy, frameless, etc. I was quite brutal in my critique of Dave's dancing, pointing out that bouncing his cupped hand up and down was an action normally associated with solo sex for boys Dave is a fine fellow and took the ribbing well. The next day he came up to me and said words to the effect of "I watched my hand while I was dancing, you are right, how embarassing ". I can only claim to have moved Dave from "unconscious incompetence". He is entirely responsible for his transformation into a smoothy

My own opinion is the MJ is a smooth dance without a hand bounce, just like all other partner dances I can think of. I also think that there are slotted moves and there are rotated moves in MJ - I think that MJ danced where the lead stands in the middle of a circle and sends the lady out to the circumference of a circle is simply poor dancing - but, so long as people are having fun and nobody is getting hurt it's still good to see people having a great time together I think that there should be no reason to call your version of MJ "smooth jive" because that is what the dance is supposed to be. Dave and I have debated this at length and, I think, he calls his dance "Smoooth" jive to differentiate himself from his local competitors. I take a different view and think what we teach is correct MJ and what some, but not all, of our local competitors teach is incorrect or bad jive.

the bounce that is common in many Ceroc/Jive offerings.
    Do not tell Ceroc there's anything wrong with the bounce. Dave wouldn't be able to claim a local point of difference - then he'd just be another dance teacher offerning the same as a class down the road (although he would still be a very handsome one ).

As far as I am aware only LeRoc teachers are recognised by the UKA. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong in that.
    I think this is mostly correct. The LeRoc Federation are the only body that can examine and certify teachers for the UKA. However, you do not need to call yourself a LeRoc teacher after you have received the qualification.

I have done the LeRoc/UKA exam and you DO have to prove you can dance MJ and you do have to prove you can teach. That's what the whole examination process is about. What does Onkar think the exam is if it's not proving you can do and teach MJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I have done the LeRoc/UKA exam and you DO have to prove you can dance MJ and you do have to prove you can teach. That's what the whole examination process is about. What does Onkar think the exam is if it's not proving you can do and teach MJ?
    Perhaps I should rephrase that. I ment "teach well", for me that includes teaching the technique, and also engaging with the class.

Simply having a qualification (leroc/ceroc etc), does not necessarily make one a good teacher.

Apologies for any confusion caused!

Onkar

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Simply having a qualification (leroc/ceroc etc), does not necessarily make one a good teacher.
    So you can be good enough to pass a teacher exam but not good enough to be a good teacher? Sounds like a slight on the exam board judges if you ask me

True .... but I would be hard pressed to name any Ceroc (CTA) instructor that can't teach MJive to an adequate standard.

Must admit that I struggle to see the difference. Ceroc et al generally DO NOT teach bounce ... rather its something that they sometimes don't teach 'out', if that makes any sense. 'Smooth Jive' doesn't appear to be any different to Ceroc ... just ensuring that people don't adopt a particular bad habit ... I don't see it as being any better than generic Ceroc.

I think the fact that some people equate Ceroc to bouncy dancing is very misleading. Many clubs (that I have seen) don't suffer from this. I would far prefer to see all instructors trained to CTA standard than endure the far worse problems that occur when dancers simply step up on to the stage and magically deem themselves to be instructors.

I don't know of any offical qualifications offered in it that are recognised by any body such as the UKA. Infact even being a Ceroc trained (CTA) does not (or at least did not 2 years ago) gain any recognition by the UKA. As far as I am aware only LeRoc teachers are recognised by the UKA.

Onkar
    The reason I asked the question from this forum is that I noticed this advert in a local Paper -

" WICKED WEDNESDAYS. A brand new Modern Jive night every Wednesday 7:45 - 10:30 pm Taught by Sussex's only qualified Smooth Jive teacher. First Class is FREE!!!"

I am also unaware of a recognised qualification for "Smooth Jive" so to me this is misleading and untrue to prospective dancers. This also undermines the hard work put in by good teachers to obtain the skills to get a nationally recognised qualification.

So I cannot believe what I read in the papers - now there is a surprise.

So I assume this organiser is teaching "Smooth Cowboy Jive" on his wicked Wednesday.

SPROGGS

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    I am also unaware of a recognised qualification for "Smooth Jive" so to me this is misleading and untrue to prospective dancers. This also undermines the hard work put in by good teachers to obtain the skills to get a nationally recognised qualification.
    BURN THE HERETIC, BURN HIM!!!!

ETC. ETC. ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    True .... but I would be hard pressed to name any Ceroc (CTA) instructor that can't teach MJive to an adequate standard.
    Yes I agree and Leroc Federation teachers.

BTW is the a published list of Ceroc teachers available on the Net? - The LeRoc Federation ones are on their website

Affiliated members of the LeRoc Federation

Commercial Operator

Yes I agree and Leroc Federation teachers.

BTW is the a published list of Ceroc teachers available on the Net? - The LeRoc Federation ones are on their website

Affiliated members of the LeRoc Federation
    I think the list isn't up to date. I'm not on the list and I took the exam about 6 months ago.

I am afraid I can't comment about the "only qualified smooth jive teacher in Sussex". I've promised Franck

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'm the only qualified Smurf Jive teacher in the whole of Scotland. So there

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'm the only qualified Smurf Jive teacher in the whole of Scotland. So there
    You're in Scotland?

And I've just realised, I'm a smooth jive teacher and I'm qualified and I live and teach in Sussex - and I'm not (knowingly) a Smurf

The Oracle

and I'm not (knowingly) a Smurf
    It must be only thing you haven't dressed up as

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

next time i dress as a smurf i want to find blue body paint - the blue latex was horrible (i had to order that from an online sex shop )

The Forum Legend

The reason I asked the question from this forum is that I noticed this advert in a local Paper -

" WICKED WEDNESDAYS. A brand new Modern Jive night every Wednesday 7:45 - 10:30 pm Taught by Sussex's only qualified Smooth Jive teacher. First Class is FREE!!!"

I am also unaware of a recognised qualification for "Smooth Jive" so to me this is misleading and untrue to prospective dancers.
    Maybe you should go along to the class, and ask to see his or her qualification if you're so unsure that there is one. And if he or she doesn't have it there with him or her, ask exactly in what way they are qualified, and who authenticated this qualification.

Maybe best done from the middle of the class floor half-way through the class!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Maybe you should go along to the class, and ask to see his or her qualification if you're so unsure that there is one. And if he or she doesn't have it there with him or her, ask exactly in what way they are qualified, and who authenticated this qualification.

Maybe best done from the middle of the class floor half-way through the class!

Indeed, a sheepish "er...me!" as an answer to "Who's the attributing body?" will probably sound quite lame And why only "smooth jive teacher" why not "grand smooth jive dictator for life" ? think big

I've upgraded from "qualified smurf jive teacher" to "qualified grand smurf emporer of jive and all the lesser dances". *

*It was a multiple choice quiz, and a passing troupe of monkeys got a better score, but it had a low pass mark and i had the £5 for the certificate. So there!

I think the list isn't up to date. I'm not on the list and I took the exam about 6 months ago.

I am afraid I can't comment about the "only qualified smooth jive teacher in Sussex". I've promised Franck
    Oh! Andy so you have also received a premature adjudication

Commercial Operator

Oh! Andy so you have also received a premature adjudication
    It's a problem for almost all us smooth young boys - although I would say that, for most people it's usually related to yanking or jerking

Thread Information