Thread: Grading classes at the big events???

Exclamation Grading classes at the big events???

An idea has crossed my mind. Should the classes at the big events have a difficulty rating attached to them? One of the big jive events I have been to this year (I think it was MJC) did this and I thought it was a good idea.

I would use four colours similar to that of ski runs. now remember we are talking about the big events such as camber or bognor here where people coming generally know the basic jive moves, not your standard beginners class.

Green - suitable for people with no previous experience, of this dance. (This would be used for things like beginners salsa, lindy, west coast swing etc).

Blue - Suitable for people with experience of the basics and progressing into intermediate.

Red - suitable for competant intermediates, who wish to learn more challenging moves, styles etc, Moves may involve some of the more challenging drops, turns basic lifts etc.

Black - advanced moves. These are difficult moves that are recommeded for very experienced dancers, and preferably fixed couples. Moves will include large lifts, aerials, drops etc.

Would be interested on your thoughts on this.

The Oracle
    I think Camber does this to some extent - we have taught taster (beginner) classes in Hustle and WCS, intermediate WCS and advanced aerials. However there is no common standard across everyones' classes - some intermediate classes have been harder than some of the advanced ones.

I like the idea of colour coding - the hardest part might be talking Franco into buying a colour printer.

Two things I'd like to see at Camber:
    - a set of workshops on advanced dancing (technique, musical interpretation etc) that don't necessarily teach new moves. It would aim for the 5 or 10% that want to do something different. (In JonL's skiing analogy, these would be 'Off Piste')
    - somewhere to do private lessons, and some form of advertising on who can do them, and when.

David

Great idea. Love the 'off piste' analogy as well.

M

Originally posted by DavidB
    I think Camber does this to some extent - we have taught taster (beginner) classes in Hustle and WCS, intermediate WCS and advanced aerials. However there is no common standard across everyones' classes - some intermediate classes have been harder than some of the advanced ones.

I like the idea of colour coding - the hardest part might be talking Franco into buying a colour printer.

Two things I'd like to see at Camber:
    - a set of workshops on advanced dancing (technique, musical interpretation etc) that don't necessarily teach new moves. It would aim for the 5 or 10% that want to do something different. (In JonL's skiing analogy, these would be 'Off Piste')
    - somewhere to do private lessons, and some form of advertising on who can do them, and when.

David
    I agree with all you say, but all the classes should be assessed in advance so the rating is uniform.
    Actualy there is a lot on the teaching front that could be discussed.

Do you think it could become a UK wide code, that the teachers 'unofficially agree to' Then workshops also at events such as Stomping In Brighton, MJC, Rebel Yell, Beach Boogie etc.
    would be on the same level?

Sorry to people North of the Border here - these are all events South of Watford I am afraid to say!

Originally posted by Jon L
    Do you think it could become a UK wide code, that the teachers 'unofficially agree to' Then workshops also at events such as Stomping In Brighton, MJC, Rebel Yell, Beach Boogie etc.
    would be on the same level?
    In all honesty, no I dont think it will ever happen. :sorry

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    In all honesty, no I dont think it will ever happen. :sorry
    One day, one fine day ... when there is an indepednat teachers association with a minimum standard for teachers, no cowboys, proper training, everyone with Public Liability Insureance etc. etc. .... one fine day

No ... as LL says, there are too many self-interest reasons for this not too happen. There are many courses that are over-egged (i.e. described as Advanced when they are re-hashed inetrmediate moves). Practically, what one person may consider as advanced may be simple to another dancer. I'm afraid that it tends to be a case of experience.

Having said that, the 'better' events (IMHO) like Rock Bottoms and MJC are very forthcoming in getting the best teachers and being helpfull in making sure you do the classes best suited to you.

Well Gus,

Stranger things have happened!

Roger C.

Originally posted by Roger C
    Stranger things have happened!

Roger C.
    Name one!

errrr ........

Well I will remind you the day it happens!

Roger C.

Seeya soon.

Re: Grading classes at the big events???

Originally posted by Jon L
    Aevents have a difficulty rating attached to them?

I would use four colours similar to that of ski runs.

Green - suitable for people with no previous experience, of this dance. (This would be used for things like beginners salsa, lindy, west coast swing etc).

Blue - Suitable for people with experience of the basics and progressing into intermediate.

Red - suitable for competant intermediates, who wish to learn more challenging moves, styles etc, Moves may involve some of the more challenging drops, turns basic lifts etc.

Black - advanced moves. These are difficult moves that are recommeded for very experienced dancers, and preferably fixed couples. Moves will include large lifts, aerials, drops etc.

Would be interested on your thoughts on this.
    It seems a very sensible thing to do.

Having the colour codes you suggest rather than using the terms begs, improvers, intermediate, int\adv, advanced etc. is nice, in encouraging looking up the definition of the level in the key.

I would find it more useful if drops, lifts, aerials etc were additionally flagged rather than included in the basic definition of the level.

What a good idea hope this happens. I've been at camber and thought i'd do a class based soley on the name of it and only after starting to do it did I realise that I was out of my depth not because I was unable to do the moves but rather that had I known what level the workshop was at I'd have chosen to do it with a fixed partner.

Everytime I go to a workshop at a big event now I do it with a fixed partner.

Color coding is a good idea plus I think you need to say if the workshop contains lifts and drops and at what level these will be.

Thread Information