Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Ceroc Purist?

Are you a Ceroc Purist?

I was put out by a female dancer at a recent Kidderminster freestyle who said to me that she only does "official ceroc moves" Being being this way inclined surely she is limiting her overal dance experience and repetoire. While I understand that the Ceroc formula has been very successful in its various forms over the years I have to ask the question "Are you a Ceroc Purist".

Steve R

Re: Are you a Ceroc Purist?

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Crazy View Post
    I was put out by a female dancer at a recent Kidderminster freestyle who said to me that she only does "official ceroc moves" Being being this way inclined surely she is limiting her overal dance experience and repetoire. While I understand that the Ceroc formula has been very successful in its various forms over the years I have to ask the question "Are you a Ceroc Purist".

Steve R
    no

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, she must be good .... I can't tell one move from another in freestyle!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thinking about this... what does she do?.. stand still if its not an official move and hold up a yellow card... three strikes and your out!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Thinking about this... what does she do?.. stand still if its not an official move and hold up a yellow card... three strikes and your out!

I would not get through the first 10 seconds... I would be sent off

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Wow, she must be good .... I can't tell one move from another in freestyle!
    I can barely name any of them and wouldn't know what an "official" one was.

No Lory sadly she was downright rude and just walked off. I regard myself as a fairly advanced dancer so tend to invent moves as I go. Unfortunately she didnt like it. Never mind I have learnt a bitter lesson.

Steve R

No Lory sadly she was downright rude and just walked off. I regard myself as a fairly advanced dancer so tend to invent moves as I go. Unfortunately she didnt like it. Never mind I have learnt a bitter lesson.

Steve R
    Hey my son, danced with this girl and did a shoulder slide - made up thing... the girl stood there and said "that is not Ceroc, what are you doing?"

He said "I am dancing, what are you doing?"

I was put out by a female dancer at a recent Kidderminster freestyle who said to me that she only does "official ceroc moves" Being being this way inclined surely she is limiting her overal dance experience and repetoire.
    It also totally limits her ability to follow. I'm utterly amazed that a follower can think this way unless she is a very nervous beginner who wants to stick with a few 'safe' and familiar moves until she builds up her confidence.

(And how does she know anyway? There are hundreds of variations!)

I'm with you Lory, I don't really know 'moves' - I tend to try to follow a lead for 'movement' - direction, speed etc - without thinking about where its going to go next.

Thanks for your lovely comments Lynn and Lory

Steve x

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    It also totally limits her ability to follow. I'm utterly amazed that a follower can think this way unless she is a very nervous beginner who wants to stick with a few 'safe' and familiar moves until she builds up her confidence.

(And how does she know anyway? There are hundreds of variations!)

I'm with you Lory, I don't really know 'moves' - I tend to try to follow a lead for 'movement' - direction, speed etc - without thinking about where its going to go next.

Makes me wonder about the teaching she's experienced too, that moves can be so well defined, particularly with the variations there are around.

So does this mean that she knows, and can recognise with any leader, all 600 (or whatever it is) moves in the Ceroc "bible"?

The move i did was as follows.

Starts as a two handed move mans left and ladies right hand released and click away facing each other. Double handed again. Mans right hand and ladies left hand released and click away and facing each other. Then pushing away on alternate hands like a lindy type of move and spinning the lady. Hope this makes more sense to everyone else than it did to my partner lol.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    So does this mean that she knows, and can recognise with any leader, all 600 (or whatever it is) moves in the Ceroc "bible"?
    Must have one hell of a memory

Sounds like she needs a good slap with a dance shoe! The great thing about Ceroc is that it is a fusion of so many different forms of dance. Watch, for example, a Jive or a Cha Cha competition and you'll recognise so many of the moves, albeit performed slightly differently. The simplicity of Ceroc allows you to play with / vary the moves so much that the line between 'official' and 'unofficial' moves is greyer than a typical summers day in Scotland! She sounds like she has her head waaaay too far up her own , so I would just make a point of avoiding her in future...

Steve R
    There are moves?????

I had one appalling follower at an independent venue tell me she dances french style (by which I guessed she meant Ceroc) after a dance. Since I'd just got back from 6 months in France (and some excellent lindy classes), I felt compelled to tell her that her style would not be tolerated in a french class!

Steve R
    How can she possibly know every "official" Ceroc move? There are hundreds...with more being added all the time. The Ceroc spin (lovely move) is quite a new one, innit?

Come and dance with me, I love men that lead me into things I've never done in my life before To be honest, with a good leader, there is no need for me to "know" any of his moves.

Daisy

(An Accommodating Little Flower)

I don't think I do any move more complicated than a man-spin the official Ceroc way – remind me to steer clear of Kidderminster!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The Oracle

She has the right to dance whichever way she wants. If she only likes the moves she has been taught, and doesn't like being led into anything else, then that is her choice.

It is easier for leaders, as we only have to lead what we want. It is far harder for a follower, and short of not following the only thing she could do is tell you. Maybe she could have been a lot more diplomatic with the way she explained this. And she has to accept the consequences of her choice - such as some men not wanting to dance with her.

It is her choice to make, not ours to make for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    How can she possibly know every "official" Ceroc move? There are hundreds...with more being added all the time. The Ceroc spin (lovely move) is quite a new one, innit?
    Pretty sure it's just the lady spin renamed, except for taking hold of the follower's wrist to stop and spin then rather than getting the follower to create a fist to catch in a cupped hand and then spin.

Thread Information