Thread: Learning to play piano - a different approach

Learning to play piano - a different approach

Just in case anyone else is in the same boat.....

I wanted to share what is, for me, a revolutionary way of learning the to play the piano.

(sounds like a sales pitch but its not!)

I must have started trying to learn to play the piano about 5 or 6 times over the last 5 or 6 years. Each time giving up due to the theory and the sight reading challenges etc. that comes with it.

About 2 weeks ago I decided to give it another go but this time I wanted to learn in a different way as the other ways didnt really give me the instant hit of actually playing.
    I looked around the net and started investigating the method of "playing by ear". Sounded great so I dug a little deeper and came across this site

Piano Lessons: Learn to play Piano BY EAR (Free Videos Online!)

And I have to say it is absolutely fantastic.

What it does is it teaches you to play, essentially, the accompanying chords etc to songs. In essence you can then sing and accompany yourself (quietly of course). Ultimately you can break into any song and pick your accompnaying patterns at will.
    Needless to say it starts off for people who know nothing but the actual progress and feedback you can get from going through it is nothing short of amazing. What this does is also keeps you motivated.

It is delivered as seperate 'movies' along with a PDF electronic book for reference. It is taught by an American guy but it is not like other tired and dreary tuition things I have done before. Its actual very relaxed and friendly

Ok, the purists out there might sigh as its not strictly learning the piano as is traditional but, for me, it has given me something to get my teeth into.

Cant remember how much it cost. I think it was around £30 for the whole course. Very good value in my opinion.

If anyone did want to do it you obvioulsy need something to play on. I would recommend going for a 'controller keyboard' to start off with. This is a keyboard you plug into your laptop/pc etc. and it then reproduces the sound based on the keys you press. You can pick up a controller keyboard for around £40 second hand.
    Beyond that you can rent (or take on hire/purchase) a digital piano if you didnt want to outlay a huge amount of cash (should you not continue with it).

Thats pretty much it. A great way to learn to play without the traditional barriers. Yes it still requires a good deal of practice but if it gets people involved in playing then why not!

Re: Learning to play piano - a different approach

Thanks for the pointer Paul.

Must take a look at this when I have a bit more free time. I bought a MIDI keyboard for my Mac a few years back, but never really got anywhere with it.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Thanks for the pointer Paul.

Must take a look at this when I have a bit more free time. I bought a MIDI keyboard for my Mac a few years back, but never really got anywhere with it.
    Definately give it a go.

Forgot to say too....there is also no sign of the usual "Merrily we roll along" song that is in nearly every piano course

Sounds great Paul. About 10 years ago I spent about a year with lessons once a week to try and learn and then a house move and the sale of the piano put at end to it. Don't fancy going through the same process again and with the advent of PC keyboards etc. I've been thinking I might take it up again. Now all I've got to do is find the time...

Its gerat that you've found an alternative method that suits you. Good luck

Meanwhile my piano is currently living in a stroage warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    If anyone did want to do it you obvioulsy need something to play on. I would recommend going for a 'controller keyboard' to start off with. This is a keyboard you plug into your laptop/pc etc. and it then reproduces the sound based on the keys you press. You can pick up a controller keyboard for around £40 second hand....
    Or if you want something really portable - Maplin roll up usb piano (on sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Choc Chip View Post
    Meanwhile my piano is currently living in a stroage warehouse
    Mines in my living room, gathering dust. I spent a few years learning classical piano playing, but changed to 'jazz' style a few years back and lost my way completely.

I'd love to get back in to it but I just don't have the will power to practice regularly...or pay for the lessons.

Thread Information