Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Green fingered help

Blog Entries

Green fingered help

DT and I are doing some major renovation of her garden at the mo and we have quite a few nice plants in terrible places.

I'm willing to accept that I can't do anything about the 40ft willow tree, but I'd like to move this plant. Just in case I kill it in the process or it's not possible to move it, some help identifying this plant so I can get another would be appreciated please -

Re: Green fingered help

It's an azalea. "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azalea"

You might get away with moving it now if you could get it out with a large rootball intact and be prepared to water it profusely every day in the event of a dry summer. Needs acid soil.

If it should die you could get one in a more funky colour than pale purple.

Looks like some sort of azalea/rhododendron to me

They're in bloom all over the place at the moment - Beo and I were admiring the ones in Greenwich Park at the weekend, though they are nearly over now.

Hope that helps

btw - I think they are pretty hardy. I believe they were imported from the East where they are regarded as weeds... Wiki link

Blog Entries

Brilliant, thanks. I knew this dance forum would be useful for something!

I could be asking lots of questions here over the coming months...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Looks like some sort of azalea/rhododendron to me
    I think it's a Rhododendron. The difference between the two is that Azalia lose their leaves in winter. Rhododendrons have thicker, more shiny leaves.

I've loved these shrubs for years. They are really easy to keep if you have acid soil and almost impossible if you do not. They do have a nice, compact, root ball rather than spreading roots: this makes them easy to move. I've moved one shrub, a nice red one, from Chester to Hull and then down here to Sussex. As we live on mostly chalky soil it needed keeping in a tub filled with a peat mix to keep the soil acidic - I bought a cheap pH meter from a garden centre to make sure. The other thing to be sure of is that you do not let the roots dry out - but be careful not to water with tap water if you live in a hard water area.

One of our previous houses had nice, acidic soil and I planted my shrub in the front garden: I still drive past once in a while to see how it's doing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I think it's a Rhododendron. The difference between the two is that Azalia lose their leaves in winter. Rhododendrons have thicker, more shiny leaves.

I've loved these shrubs for years. They are really easy to keep if you have acid soil and almost impossible if you do not. They do have a nice, compact, root ball rather than spreading roots: this makes them easy to move. I've moved one shrub, a nice red one, from Chester to Hull and then down here to Sussex. As we live on mostly chalky soil it needed keeping in a tub filled with a peat mix to keep the soil acidic - I bought a cheap pH meter from a garden centre to make sure. The other thing to be sure of is that you do not let the roots dry out - but be careful not to water with tap water if you live in a hard water area.
    Thanks.
    I'm guessing it would be safe to assume that we would have the same soil type 20ft away in the same garden?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Thanks.
    I'm guessing it would be safe to assume that we would have the same soil type 20ft away in the same garden?
    Probably. Are you going to move it because it looks a bit sickly, or for other reasons? If the former, you could check with close neighbours who are into gardening as to whether your region has acid soil, much cheaper than forking out for a soil-testing kit. If in doubt you could buy a bag of acid compost and chuck it in the hole when you move the plant.

Thanks.
    Ah ha - I knew that listening to Gardener's Question time on R4 (although I live in a flat and don't have a garden ) would pay dividends one day... even if not for me.

No, you can't assume. It'll probably be OK, but apparently it can depend on what has been grown there previously and what the ground has been treated with. How long has DT lived there, and what's been on the spot your moving it to? And has she done anything to the spot it's currently in? (Although you'll probably need to look at the R4 GQT site to find out what to do about it as I can't remember!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Probably. Are you going to move it because it looks a bit sickly, or for other reasons? If the former, you could check with close neighbours who are into gardening as to whether your region has acid soil, much cheaper than forking out for a soil-testing kit. If in doubt you could buy a bag of acid compost and chuck it in the hole when you move the plant.
    It's just not where we want it. Mind you, it has had to fight with some huge weeds over the last year or 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Ah ha - I knew that listening to Gardener's Question time on R4 (although I live in a flat and don't have a garden ) would pay dividends one day... even if not for me.

No, you can't assume. It'll probably be OK, but apparently it can depend on what has been grown there previously and what the ground has been treated with. How long has DT lived there, and what's been on the spot your moving it to? And has she done anything to the spot it's currently in? (Although you'll probably need to look at the R4 GQT site to find out what to do about it as I can't remember!)
    This is getting far too complicated

The spot it's in has had nothing done and the spot it's going to has had ivy going mad in it for many years.

I'm thinking we'll go for the 'stick some compost in the new hole, water lots and see what happens' option.

I'm thinking we'll go for the 'stick some compost in the new hole, water lots and see what happens' option.
    make sure its ericaceous compost

The spot it's in has had nothing done and the spot it's going to has had ivy going mad in it for many years.
    Make sure you get rid of all the snails if you've ripped down ivy.

Don't kill them though. I put them in my compost bin.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Brilliant, thanks. I knew this dance forum would be useful for something!

First time for everything We expect before/after garden pics.

One other thing to add - now is not really the best time to move it. March / April or October would be better. however needs must so if you are going to do it now you will have to water it 2 or 3 times a week right through the summer. It is true that Rhodedendrons (sp?) and Azalea's have compact shallow root balls but a good general tip when moving an established shrub is to cut around the roots with a spade a few months before you move it to sever any long roots and encourage the growth of lots of new roots close to the plant which will help it to establish when it is moved. With a large shrub it is also a good idea to prune it back before you move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    We expect before/after garden pics.
    Too late for before ones, but I'll take some pics once my decking & borders are all finished.

I can't wait. I can already visualise me sunning myself on the decking, Pimms in one hand...copy of Heat magazine in the other.

yeah, yeah, I know....heat magazine is chavtastic, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    One other thing to add - now is not really the best time to move it. March / April or October would be better. however needs must so if you are going to do it now you will have to water it 2 or 3 times a week right through the summer. It is true that Rhodedendrons (sp?) and Azalea's have compact shallow root balls but a good general tip when moving an established shrub is to cut around the roots with a spade a few months before you move it to sever any long roots and encourage the growth of lots of new roots close to the plant which will help it to establish when it is moved. With a large shrub it is also a good idea to prune it back before you move it.
    I'm worried that the ivy roots might strangle a newly moved shrub.

Ivy roots are hard to eradicate.

Have you dug deeply Gav?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I'm worried that the ivy roots might strangle a newly moved shrub.

Ivy roots are hard to eradicate.

Have you dug deeply Gav?
    Dug? More like ripped it out with sheer brute force and ignorance.

Anyone know anything about Orchids?

mines just dropped most of it's flowers ... and I'm worried I've done something to it to cause this - and if not - what do I do next to get it to flower again

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    Anyone know anything about Orchids?

mines just dropped most of it's flowers ... and I'm worried I've done something to it to cause this - and if not - what do I do next to get it to flower again
    Dunno, but maybe the answer's here.AOS | Orchid Basics

Can't pretend to be an expert on Orchids really but:

1. Orchid roots must be exposed to a bit of light. That is why they are now normally sold in transparent plastic pots. However there can be a problem if you then put the plastic pot inside a more decorative pot which blocks out all the light.

2. They don't like strong sunlight - a north facing window is a good position.

3. They don't like to be above a central heating radiator.

4. The special compost they are planted in (looks like bits of bark) is incredibly free draining so it is all to easy to leave them standing in water after you have watered them which is very bad for them. Best way to avoid this is to stand the post on some gravel or small stones. This will also help to create a humid atmosphere which they like as long as the roots are not standing in water.

5. Don't use normal house plant food. You need special orchid food but you only need to use very small amounts.

With modern varieties it is possible to get them to flower again but you have to be quite careful. The most common reasons for flowers or buds dropping off are too dry an atmosphere, too much sunlight, or over-watering. They also don't like temperature fluctuations or draughts but most are surprisingly tolerant of a coolish temperature. Once they have flowered do not cut off the long flowering stem as new flowering shoots will often develop from this. They can flower twice a year.

Thread Information