Thread: Subaru Forester

Subaru Forester

Help!

I have got seriously adicted...

hired a car, for 4 days .. it was a Forester... and it was sort of non descript, but then getting back into my own car, I realised just how cool the forester is.

Not as high as a biggie, not as low as a normal, everything in the right place. Sort of a no worries car.

Has anyone got one?

I am seriously thinking of getting one... any positive or negative comments?

Re: Subaru Forester

I've not owned a Forester, but I have owned a Subaru Impreza, and another family member has had two Subaru Legacys. What can I say - they're Japanese, they're great quality, very reliable. I would definitely buy another Impreza (if I could afford the insurance!) I reckon you could do far worse...

You could also check out Parker's Guide for more info on reviews etc, though prices are relevant to the UK only.

They're a great car - if you can afford one (even the second-hand ones in Oz are rather expensive). They're that good that they "retain their value" to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I am seriously thinking of getting one... any positive or negative comments?
    What is the fuel economy like - if it's got semi-permanent 4 wheel drive, is the fuel economy excessive compared to a smaller car?

The comments about japanese made cars seem spot on - much more likely to be reliable than most cars.

You could try pm-ing maxx, I'm very sure he used to own one a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post
    I've not owned a Forester, but I have owned a Subaru Impreza, and another family member has had two Subaru Legacys. What can I say - they're Japanese, they're great quality, very reliable. I would definitely buy another Impreza (if I could afford the insurance!) I reckon you could do far worse...

You could also check out Parker's Guide for more info on reviews etc, though prices are relevant to the UK only.
    Likewise, I have a 2006 Impreza, and it is just the best car I've ever owned. Paid through the nose for it, but I don't think I could ever own anything else now!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    What is the fuel economy like - if it's got semi-permanent 4 wheel drive, is the fuel economy excessive compared to a smaller car?

The comments about japanese made cars seem spot on - much more likely to be reliable than most cars.
    Not too worried about fuel economy, only coz I do not do many miles. It does have all wheel drive.

Although I do sometimes travel to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, which are longer trips, but a comfy car helps.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR View Post
    Likewise, I have a 2006 Impreza, and it is just the best car I've ever owned. Paid through the nose for it, but I don't think I could ever own anything else now!
    I am looking to put the Subaru GPS system in it, has anyone used this? Is it any good?

Currently I have a "stick on the window" tom tom.

In my experience, built in sat navs are nowhere near as good as (or as flexible as) a TomTom (so long as you have a reasonably recent one). My Civic has the Honda sat nav and it's pretty useless compared to my TomTom and I always use the TomTom given the choice. IMO it's not worth shelling out the £1000 or so they charge for built in systems when a £200 TomTom does a better job.

Forester is a very good car though - consistently high in the JD Power customer satisfaction surveys and supposedly a very solid and reliable car (I have no reason to think otherwise). Turbo version is stonkingly quick for what it is, and very subtle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    In my experience, built in sat navs are nowhere near as good as (or as flexible as) a TomTom (so long as you have a reasonably recent one). My Civic has the Honda sat nav and it's pretty useless compared to my TomTom and I always use the TomTom given the choice. IMO it's not worth shelling out the £1000 or so they charge for built in systems when a £200 TomTom does a better job.

Forester is a very good car though - consistently high in the JD Power customer satisfaction surveys and supposedly a very solid and reliable car (I have no reason to think otherwise). Turbo version is stonkingly quick for what it is, and very subtle as well.
    Thanks for the info - the sat nav will cost an extra $4000 - about 2000 pounds. But if it is no better than Tom Tom, prehaps I should just stick to Tom Tom.

I am not looking at the high range turbo version, just the basic one, which, with the 2.5Ltr engine and the cruise control, does what I would want it to do.

Probably your best bet is to ask to have a look at (and a proper fiddle with) a sat nav unit in either a demonstrator or a vehicle in the showroom. My Civic is 2004, and so built in units may have progressed a lot since then. I'm still pretty certain it won't be as good as a TomTom though.

One other thing to consider is the fact that it will probably have a built in hands free for your mobile, which could be a good thing. But at £2000 it sounds a lot more expensive than a TomTom and a professionally fitted hands free kit (around £300 probably). You sure as hell won't get that £2k back come resale time, that's for sure.

Good luck, they're great cars (someone at my work has had a string of them and loves them) and the 2.5 isn't sluggish either.

Thread Information