Thread: Strictly No Sequins

Strictly No Sequins

Having looked at the strictly no sequins site this afternoon I wonder why this style of teaching ballroom and latin classes in the ceroc style of changing partners has not taken off.

Steve R

Re: Strictly No Sequins

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Crazy View Post
    Having looked at the strictly no sequins site this afternoon I wonder why this style of teaching ballroom and latin classes in the ceroc style of changing partners has not taken off.

Steve R
    Michaella Walker is going to try it in Bedford starting shortly.

I would love to see Ballroom and Latin brought to a truly mass audience in some way.

At the moment there is a resurgence thanks to various media feeds but I think there is still much more that can be done.

Part of the reason I see for B+L still not really grabbing people is down to it's technical nature, of course, and the fact that the classes that can be found are so variable in approach. On the one hand you have classes in dedicated, expansive ballrooms with excellent facilities (although not many left any more). On the other hand you have the tiny village halls which tend to reinforce the stereotyped view of the dance.
    I have not seen many that bring a lighthearted approach to teaching. Coupling that with the concept of using 'core' moves (like MJ), a set evening structure, supporting material, recognition of progress, provision of freestyle, workshops etc. The possibility is there but it would take work.

Although a lot of the traditionalists will disagree (and yes, i do value tradition) I really believe that there is scope to take it to a different level. It needs lots of thought and experimentation to try and engage a mass-market of dancers but I really think its possible. At least I hope!!!

Im sure the TV coverage wont last forever so now would be the time to strike.

I am sure you are right Paul. I am sorry to say that I have more of a ballroom background than M J. I prefer ballroom/latin from a purist dance point of view but far prefer the laissez faire laid back attitude of M J. I think that a lot of people would benefit trying ballroom and not being so blinkered in there dance approach. I will be posting a new post on this about an experience I had recently entitled are you a Ceroc Purist.

Steve R

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Crazy View Post
    I am sure you are right Paul. I am sorry to say that I have more of a ballroom background than M J. I prefer ballroom/latin from a purist dance point of view but far prefer the laissez faire laid back attitude of M J. I think that a lot of people would benefit trying ballroom and not being so blinkered in there dance approach. I will be posting a new post on this about an experience I had recently entitled are you a Ceroc Purist.

Steve R
    I recently wanted to check out the social dancing schools for B+L in Sydney (Australia) - that's how I got into learning B+L before moving to the schools who teach/coach competition couples (I did it competitively as well). The reason I wanted to check it out was that I wanted to get back into dancing B+L (for the variety of dances and music - which there isn't really in MJ), and I recalled that they also have weekly socials at these dance studios. When I first learnt (quite a few years ago now!) the structure of the dance companies (and this included the likes of Arthur Murrays who were the benchmark for most of the other dance studios) was such that they relied on the group lessions - where they insisted on rotating partners - and then if you wanted to get more serious then you booked yourself in for private lessons. I guess this way it was more sociable, and easier on the pocket for the pupils.
    After checking with three social schools in Sydney (Arthur Murrays was one of them incidentally) - two out of the three relied on private lessons, and had no group lessons whatsoever. From what I could make out of the dialogue, they don't have the guaranteed numbers attending the classes, therefore they don't pay the teachers for sitting around doing nothing.
    I think MJ works cos a lot of people who get in contact with MJ is pretty much by referral. B+L does well when there's a movie launch, or a TV show that "sexes up" or puts the dance styles back into the minds of the public. It is taught in a more rigid format - but I guess this works to get the styling and leading to work - or so the teachers say. Having learnt MJ & B+L in group class environments I would say that MJ is easier to learn - helps the confidence of new dancers, and so they want to tell their friends about it. Unfortunately B+L doesn't seem to do this.
    I thought this info might help out considering it's pretty recent, and the issue isn't just restricted to where you are.

My better half and I started B & L classes in January and the school we attend does group classes where the partners are rotated.

I know what you mean but what I was looking for was a structured approach to b and l. Would like to see it in the Ceroc method of instuction although I can understand that it may not be that easy to pick up for most dancers.

Thread Information