Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Hill Walking Club

Ceroc Hill Walking Club

This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with dance, music or venues but as lots of forum members don't let that get in their way of posting on this forum, I'm going to do the same.

As the good weather is about us all, do any forum members (male or female) want to join together and form a Ceroc/Leroc/MJ/WCS hill walking club (I'm open to suggestions as to a name). At the moment I walk with Bill (taxi dancer at JJ's Glasgow), Nigel (Ceroc/WCS dancer, Glasgow) and occasionally, Alison & Edna (Ceroc, JJ's Tuesday).

Since the end of November I've been walking and climbing in snow and ice with crampons and axe but last weekend I did Creise & Meall a' Bhuiridh on the Black Mount Traverse and although there was plenty of snow about, the routes were clear and I didn't put a boot onto a single flake of snow, so nobody needs fear walking in snow.

After an initial outlay of around £300 for apparel and equipment, hill walking only costs the fuel to get to the hill(s) making it an affordable pastime.

One caveat - you need to be reasonably fit but I'm a kick up the arse off 60 and I've done 6 Munros on one outing so to an avid dancer, hill walking should be a scoosh, especially to the younger dancers.

Let me know if anybody is interested, either on the forum or by PM and I'll arrange an outing for an easy (OK, easier) Munro to try and we'll take it from there.

You never know, Franck might sponsor us, who'd mind climbing up a hill wearing a Ceroc tee-shirt?

Re: Ceroc Hill Walking Club

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Ceroc/Leroc/MJ/WCS hill walking club (I'm open to suggestions as to a name).
    What a great idea!!

I used to do a lot of hillwalking, and was a member of the Dundee uni mountaineering club. Have done about 87 munros so far (3 new ones this year, aiming to get my total to 100 by the end of the year), but don't have many hillwalking friends left in Dundee any more, so finding it increasingly difficult to get to the hills, as I don't have a car!

Unfortunately, I now need to get the all clear from the vet for my favourite hillwalking buddy - my wee collie dog - who's been having problems with her hind legs lately.......... It would feel so wrong to go walking without her!

So, anyone in Dundee or surrounding area who'd be up for this, too?

I'd love to come along, if I ever was anywhere near Glasgow! However, I'm scared of snow, so strictly summer conditions only. My compass work's a bit dodgy as well.

I used to be walking / climbing every weekend at one time, now I'm lucky if I get out to do a few flat Leicestershire footpaths every few months. I do miss it, especially going to the Lakes, and I think it's really affecting my fitness, especially as I don't dance as much as I use to either.

I've only done two Munros, but they were the two biggies!

Great idea

i realy enjoy the hills but sadly am nowhere near experienced enough to go without a strong leader so don't go very often....and my boots went mouldy cos misplaced them when I moved house and then found them a good few months later - very annoyingas they were great boots.

I'm not sure about the bit about cheap day out as only fuel to pay for - 116.9p at our local absolutely everywhere supermarket beggining with the letter T - no sure if i'm allowed to name it on here...

probably comments for a different thread though.

No seriously soundsa great plan - espaically if we dance at every summit!

Amc

Great idea - count me in! I'm only into hillwalking/scrambling though - not got a clue when it comes to anything requiring ropes...

Choc Chip - maybe we could share transport, which would make it significantly more affordable.

Though obviously there's an abundance of great walking up this neck of the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post

Choc Chip - maybe we could share transport, which would make it significantly more affordable.
    Great idea, especially at £1.27 / ltr. for diesel!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post
    Though obviously there's an abundance of great walking up this neck of the hills.
    Makes me wish I stayed nearer to Inverness - Bill's thinking of moving up there for a year so he's nearer and more able to bag all 284 Munros!

My suggestion of a hill walking club is exactly that - Hill Walking.
    I did the D Gully Buttress (V-Diff rock climb) to the left of Curved Ridge on Stob Dearg, [Buachaille Etive Mor] last year with Bill but I really didn't enjoy the exposure (nor the thought of a very long fall!) and it put me off rock climbing completely.

Walking and scrambling is just what I'm suggesting and scrambling, to me, is not having to stretch out higher than my head or even shoulders.

4 positive replies already, I think just a few more and we'll be ready to go for it

4 positive replies already, I think just a few more and we'll be ready to go for it
    I'd be interested in this too. I climbed Ben Nevis this time last year and really enjoyed it but have done no other hillwalking before or since.

Only problem is, it's difficult for me to get the time at weekends as I'm often working but will try anyway if you keep me posted.

Great initiative. I'm definitely interested. Love hillwalking, but unfortunately not done much last couple of years and do have very limited access to babysitters for my little one, but definitely keen to join in the fun when I can. Live in Dundee, but anywhere in Scotland possible with my wee car

Hi I,ve just moved to inverness, looking to do some walking/scrambling and learn some ropes/ice technique. If you're up for a random hill walking companion and have room in your car (I've no transport) give me a shout!

Taxi Dancer

Me and possibly Jazzyshuggy (still need to ask) may be up for it. Like LM it would need to be collie-dog friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Birlmeister View Post
    Me and possibly Jazzyshuggy (still need to ask) may be up for it. Like LM it would need to be collie-dog friendly
    You got a collie too?? Or Jazzyshuggy?

Hi, Birlmaster directed me to this and its me who has the very energetic boy collie dog - he just loves walking for miles and miles and miles. We, (Birlmaster, Jason the dog and me along with the Ramblers) are off to Glen Doll for 8 miles walking on Saturday (5th July) and then dancing at Bonar Hall, Dundee at night - doggie has to stay at home for this though!!

Have transport so would really like to arrange something!
    Last edited by Jazzyshuggy; 3rd-July-2008 at 11:32 AM.

collies are really useful.

Get in there LM.

Just back from my holidays last night so I haven't had time to make suitable arrangements but Bill, Nigel and myself are doing the Easains, Saturday 5th July, (Stob a’ Choire Mheadhoin & Stob Coire Easain) at Loch Treig starting from An Dubh Lochan (NN 34878 78921).
    If anybody's interested in joining us we're travelling from Glasgow via Cumbernauld (A80), Stirling (M9), Perth (A9), Pitlochry, Blair Atholl & Dalwhinney.
    We're leaving from the west end of Glasgow at 6:30 and expect to arrive at the starting point about 9:15, the walk is around 16 Km, 1100 metres ascent and should take around 61/2 to 7 hours inc. stops. It's a relatively easy walk with only one steep climb up to Meall Cian Dearg and no scrambling.

Our next walk is scheduled for Saturday 12th July. No it's not an Orange Walk

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'm seriously interested too, but its getting away for a whole day (my wife wouldn't come she hates hills - bad on the knees). Maybe when Mon and LM are doing one too

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'm seriously interested too, but its getting away for a whole day (my wife wouldn't come she hates hills - bad on the knees). Maybe when Mon and LM are doing one too
    Knees!! they're the big problem with Munros but other than Bill, we tend to take it easy, especially in the summer months when we're not expected to be racing against nightfall. You could always try it out with Mrs DS on an easy Munro first (well, there's not really such a thing as an easy Munro, rather easier ones than others) like Ben Chonzie or Meall Ghaordaidh or the Munros to the east of The Cairnwell (they're cheating 'cause you start at around 670 Mtrs and you can easily do 4 or even the 6 of them in one day), then there are another 4 in a day to the west of the Drummochter Pass.
    Come to think of it, once you're hill fit there really are some easy Munros

You're welcome to come along whenever you're able to and not all of our walks will be a full day long.

Commercial Operator

I'm a qualified Summer Mountain Leader so would be happy to take people out whenever I'm up in Scotland who either may feel a bit unsure, or equally who who want to tackle something more adventurous. I've got loads of spare kit and tents of good quality for wild camping in the middle of the outback too!

I'm making my way around all the Munros... only got 18 left so should be finished either end of this year or beginning of next. I especially love scrambling, and winter mountain walking (bring on the axe ice and crampons... love 'em!), and in Feb/Mar this year clocked off some long routes in the Cairngorms, including spending a night out on my own in a lovely home-made snow hole! (see my YouTube videos if you're interested... type in 'Revdrop' or 'Morris Cairngorms' and you should find them.

Once I'm finished all the Munros I intend to keep coming back to Scotland to climb some of the more interesting ones again..... and I just love dancing with you guys in Scotland! So I'm up for meeting up with others who share the love of mountains with the love of dance!

How do you intend to take this on in terms of dates etc?

Bill, Nigel and myself are doing the Easains, Saturday 5th July, (Stob a’ Choire Mheadhoin & Stob Coire Easain)
    Great day out, fine weather/views - possibly doing the Grey Corries on the 12th July if anyone's up for it, 4 Munros & 6 Tops, 22.5 Km, 2115 mtrs ascent, about 10 hours. A BIG, challenging day out.
    Last edited by Brian Doolan; 5th-May-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Commercial Operator

- possibly doing the Grey Corries on the 12th July if anyone's up for it, 4 Munros & 6 Tops, 22.5 Km, 2115 mtrs ascent, about 10 hours. A BIG, challenging day out.
    This is a great walk... lots of quarzite to walk on though so not great if wet. There's some good scrambling if you start at the bothy at the East end of grey corries and follow the steam west. Lots of interesting scrambling on the right of the stream which can be easily missed if you just head on straight up the main drag.

I'm spending next week in Scotland myself... more Munro bagging....depending on weather either Torridon (7 still to do), or a couple in Glen Shiel, or 2 in Cairngorms, or all the ones East of Corrour Halt station. If anyone's interested in joining me for any of these send me a PM with mobile number before Thursday 10th July.

Quote Originally Posted by Revdrop View Post
    This is a great walk... lots of quarzite to walk on though so not great if wet. There's some good scrambling if you start at the bothy at the East end of grey corries and follow the steam west. Lots of interesting scrambling on the right of the stream which can be easily missed if you just head on straight up the main drag.
    lots of quartzite - that's why they're called the Grey Corries

The problem with starting from the bothy is the 8.5km trek from Corriechoille with an 8.5km trek back to the car

My route starts from Corriechoille to the edge of the forest and onto the ridge at Ruigh na Gualainn, that puts me onto the first Munro, Stob Choire Claurigh (1177 mtrs) after less than 8km, whereas walking to the bothy, I'd just be at 470 mtrs after 8.5km with over 2km and about an hour & a half climbing to the first Munro.

I'll PM you with my mobile no. maybe my wee team could meet up with you, the Grey Corries can wait if something better turns up, we haven't done the Ring of Steall yet, that classic 4 is east of Corrour Stn in the Mamores.

Thread Information