Thread: Dancing in Sydney

Dancing in Sydney

A friend of mine is going to Sydney this Friday for a couple of weeks on business and would really like to sample the Ceroc/jive scene while she's there. Can any Aussie forumites recommend any good venues/events or a website where they might be listed. Thanks very much!

Re: Dancing in Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Belle View Post
    A friend of mine is going to Sydney this Friday for a couple of weeks on business and would really like to sample the Ceroc/jive scene while she's there. Can any Aussie forumites recommend any good venues/events or a website where they might be listed. Thanks very much!
    Ceroc & Modern Jive Dance Company. Learn to Dance, Partner Dance Ceroc Modern Jive

Ceroc Australia Dance Company - Learn to Dance, Partner Dance, Like "Dancing with the Stars", Modern Jive

are the websites for the two main companies in Sydney - and they both have venues all over the city.

I can't really comment on which venues are better than others as it's been a couple of years since I danced in Sydney that said - CMJ's (the first website) wednesday night venue was a fav of mine when I visited - and their Thursday nights a Willoughby were a must have as well

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

The websites Yliander mentioned cover most of it. There's also nuroc.com.au (a bit further out west, depending on where your friend is staying).

I'll probably be at the dance party @ Concord on Saturday night, hope I see your friend there (my experience so far with UK dance girls has been 100% wow!).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The websites Yliander mentioned cover most of it. There's also nuroc.com.au (a bit further out west, depending on where your friend is staying).

I'll probably be at the dance party @ Concord on Saturday night, hope I see your friend there (my experience so far with UK dance girls has been 100% wow!).
    and if you were the right shirt it's possible to make him stop mid dance LOL

so Gary - any chance of convincing you and your lovely wife to come to the UK for a visit???

miss you both

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    ...........so Gary - any chance of convincing you and your lovely wife to come to the UK for a visit???
    I can get my dance then

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Ceroc & Modern Jive Dance Company. Learn to Dance, Partner Dance Ceroc Modern Jive

Ceroc Australia Dance Company - Learn to Dance, Partner Dance, Like "Dancing with the Stars", Modern Jive

are the websites for the two main companies in Sydney - and they both have venues all over the city.

I can't really comment on which venues are better than others as it's been a couple of years since I danced in Sydney that said - CMJ's (the first website) wednesday night venue was a fav of mine when I visited - and their Thursday nights a Willoughby were a must have as well

Totally agree with both Yliander & Gary on the venues.
    It might be helpful to know where your friend is staying in Sydney - it's a pretty spread-out city - so that we can suggest more specifically which venues to check out.

and if you were the right shirt it's possible to make him stop mid dance LOL

so Gary - any chance of convincing you and your lovely wife to come to the UK for a visit???

miss you both

I'll second that If your friend makes it to any venue that either of these two dance at, nab them for a dance.

And Gary we're waiting to hear that you're coming over
    *Alice crosses her fingers very hard*

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    And Gary we're waiting to hear that you're coming over
    *Alice crosses her fingers very hard*
    Probably not any time soon . Wife, kitten and Sydney mortgage to support. Hoping you come back once in a while, before you lose that broad Aussie accent we all love

Probably not any time soon . Wife, kitten and Sydney mortgage to support. Hoping you come back once in a while, before you lose that broad Aussie accent we all love
    Watch this space....

(so do you have a spare sofa? )

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Watch this space....

(so do you have a spare sofa? )
    You know, Auckland is only a little out of the way on the way back from Sydney.....

I'll probably be at the dance party @ Concord on Saturday night, hope I see your friend there ...
    Well I was there, but I didn't notice any girls looking especially UK-ish. Hope your friend had fun with whatever she did Saturday night.

Well I was there, but I didn't notice any girls looking especially UK-ish. Hope your friend had fun with whatever she did Saturday night.
    Thanks to everyone for all your help with this. I've passed it all on to Fiona and she's definitely packed her dancing shoes! She only arrived in Sydney Sat lunchtime so probably didn't go anywhere Sat night - bit of jet lag I would imagine. But she's got a list of all the venues so when she gets back I'll let you know how she got on! She's staying in the City area apparantly - if that means anything to you. She's there for 3 weeks.

Thanks to everyone for all your help with this. I've passed it all on to Fiona and she's definitely packed her dancing shoes! She only arrived in Sydney Sat lunchtime so probably didn't go anywhere Sat night - bit of jet lag I would imagine. But she's got a list of all the venues so when she gets back I'll let you know how she got on! She's staying in the City area apparantly - if that means anything to you. She's there for 3 weeks.
    If she gets a chance the Ashfield venue is still pumping, I went there last Thursday and is was a lot of fun (I was down for a few days in Sydney)

"CEROC CENTRAL
    THE POLISH CLUB
    73 Norton Street, Ashfield

This new venue is 'something very different'. We have our own twin floors so you can either mix all night or take some time out in the second room to practice something special (or with someone special!).
    Yes, there is a licensed bar, air-conditioning, plenty of parking and a great atmosphere"

If she wants a trip to the Gold Coast, let me know, and I can provide accomadation and I can "tour guide" - also good classes here on a Wed and Fri eve...

Thread Information