Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The police are becoming a self-parody

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: The police are becoming a self-parody

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    I see that the police are having another go at earning public respect:

'You can't preach the Bible here, this is a Muslim area'

Perhaps the Government will add the concept of free speech to the police training curriculum...
    Sounds like it has been blown out of proportion - but yes, it is not the job of the police to restrict peoples free speech. If the quote is true and the policeman did say "You have been warned. If you come back here and get beat up, well, you have been warned.'" then really they should, at the very least, give him a suspension and a written warning. Its an implication of "we'll turn a blind eye to violence against you".

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Sounds like it has been blown out of proportion - but yes, it is not the job of the police to restrict peoples free speech. If the quote is true and the policeman did say "You have been warned. If you come back here and get beat up, well, you have been warned.'" then really they should, at the very least, give him a suspension and a written warning. Its an implication of "we'll turn a blind eye to violence against you".
    One article I read suggested that the police had had to break up a heated argument between the Christian drongos and some Moslem locals. It hardly seems so terrible for the policeman to say "Well, you've been warned not to come here. There isn't always going to be a policeman on hand to pull your nuts out of the fire. If you come back and get beaten up, don't blame us."

Who saw the article about the bloke with the Transformers t-shirt and the BA numbskulls?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    It hardly seems so terrible for the policeman to say "Well, you've been warned not to come here. There isn't always going to be a policeman on hand to pull your nuts out of the fire. If you come back and get beaten up, don't blame us."
    Indeed - but we never get the full story in any one article . It is worrying if they got abuse by locals just for being there though.

Who saw the article about the bloke with the Transformers t-shirt and the BA numbskulls?

Yes, saw it. I would have complied and put it back on again a.s.a.p knowing it would make a better story - and I'm pretty sure the police, when called, would realise they probably had better things to do ...er...he says, going against plenty evidence to the contrary recently

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Indeed - but we never get the full story in any one article . It is worrying if they got abuse by locals just for being there though.
    Surely the 'abuse' was a result of their proselytising evangelism, rather than 'just being there'?

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

A final point: since scientology doesn't have the faintest link to or in the teeny tiniest way endorse the christian religion - why is a traditional crucifiction-type cross such a central part of their - um - logo? Badge? Of course, it's crossed by an X for Xenu, but still...
    Probably not very important, but the cross was used a long time before christianity. Its a design, a symbol.

It has 8 points to represent the "8 dynamics" which in the philosophy are 8
    basic urges, drives in life, compartments in life (1 self, 2 sex and family, 3 group, 4 mankind, 5 life forms, 6 physical universe, 7 life source, 8 supreme being or infinity - check the video channel on Scientology Video Channel: Church of Scientology Official Site for further explanation)

By the way, as far I know it has nothing to do with either Emu or Xena the warrior princess, although I did watch it a few times I must confess

My apologies at missing the debate but I've been busy on tour, LA, Glastonbury, Montreux etc...

Quote Originally Posted by jiveknight View Post
    Probably not very important, but the cross was used a long time before christianity. Its a design, a symbol.

It has 8 points to represent the "8 dynamics" which in the philosophy are 8
    basic urges, drives in life, compartments in life (1 self, 2 sex and family, 3 group, 4 mankind, 5 life forms, 6 physical universe, 7 life source, 8 supreme being or infinity - check the video channel on Scientology Video Channel: Church of Scientology Official Site for further explanation)

By the way, as far I know it has nothing to do with either Emu or Xena the warrior princess, although I did watch it a few times I must confess

My apologies at missing the debate but I've been busy on tour, LA, Glastonbury, Montreux etc...
    Thank you for that elucidation. One is struck, however, by the fact that an eight-pointed star would have done just as well for that purpose.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Surely the 'abuse' was a result of their proselytising evangelism, rather than 'just being there'?
    does that matter ? We always had Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses travelling round the doors now and again when i grew up, but I NEVER heard of abuse against them. It was more "quaint" than anything else. I'd say it qualifies as "just being there" - unless they are forcing people to listen somehow - they are no worse than candidates before a election.

Thread Information