Thread: Is this being star struck???

Re: Is this being star struck???

Quote Originally Posted by dep
    Clara,
    what were you doing last night?
    Posting @ 0255gmt seems weird.
    Had the man just fallen asleeep?
    Yes... sad as it looks i am on night shift with no work to do!!! xx
    Last edited by ducasi; 18th-May-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: more quote fixing!

I suppose we'll settle for you earning, so that you can make yourself available for our dancing needs.

I have been star struck in the presence of people like Deborah Szekely and Tatiana, but have worked at my WCS and have danced with them recently to positive effect. Tatiana was particularly complimentary towards my dancing when we danced once whilst in Northampton for the J & T weekender last month.

The best way to combat nerves is by developing your dancing on your own terms and become the best dancer you can be, not a shadow of those people you admire, because the chances are you may be better than them in the long run

best
    johnnyman

Quote Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
    Someone please tell me I am not alone….
    Definitely not alone

I went to Blaze aswell, and I didn't ask any of the teachers to dance... I wanted to dance with them, but wasn't confident enough to ask (apart from Franck, as, well... Franck is Franck ) I regret that now. Because I taxi, I'm constantly telling people to ask the more experienced dancers to dance, as that is how they will progress... do you think I can take my own advice??

I dance often with experienced dancers, however, teachers are a different story... so I totally understand!

I don't have any advice for you, but just know that you're not alone!

Lou x

Maybe you were just not compatible with that person.

Happens to me all the time.

There's some people who I just don't get yet there are obviously great dancers.

It just happens.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Clarabella, you are sooo not alone.

I taught at Blaze I,II and III and i teach regularly in Northern Ireland (3 times a week) and i still get the "wobble board" nerves when dancing with a fab dancer ( not necessarily a teacher). Its not restricted to what level you think you dance at but you own confidence.

I always tell "good" dancers to be gentle with me and if i mess up well, i mess up and do exactly what you do and go in search of a good friend.

At Storm i had a dance with a guy and walked away feeling utterly useless and it really made me feel pants, then a very good friend pointed me in the direction of a few guys who she knew, that i didnt, that i would have a very lovely dance with to restore my confidence. It worked.

My advise when asking someone that scares you, take a wingman, they can then tell you if you really looked pants or just felt it, then they can give you a hug and make you feel better

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    My advise when asking someone that scares you, take a wingman,
    Clara,
    can I be your "wingman" on Friday?

You are so not alone!

I have a vivid memory of my first ever party.

I noticed a guy whom everyone was queueing up to dance with. I got a shock when he actually came over to me and took me onto the floor.

I felt totally out of my league but tried my best (I had only been dancing a month or so). If he hadn't come over I probably would have stuck with my class mates, and not dared to approach the better dancers.
    As soon as the Blues room opened I hid in there and watched in awe as the best dancers blended into the music.

I suddenly saw the dancer who had asked me, and before I lost my nerve I asked him for a dance. I was as scared as Hell, but I am so glad I did.

I hadn't a clue who it was, all I knew was that they were superb.

Who was it??

Franck

So leaders, when you groan when I come asking for a dance, now you know who to blame for me being a bit more extrovert

The lesson learnt is this:

Dancing with better dancers may be scary, but boy is it rewarding.

Cheers Whitetiger
    Last edited by whitetiger1518; 26th-May-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mshedgehog View Post
    I definitely have the same feeling with certain people. I try to just admit that some stress is understandable, not to let it frighten me, and to be OK with the fact that I may not dance as well as I do under easier conditions.

So I admit to myself that I think I'm taking an exam, and I use it to motivate myself and measure my progress - if I can deliver something with a person who makes me nervy, I know I've mastered that thing and I chalk that up as a win.

And the last step is to think about the rewards; I think that I have been very lucky to dance with that person, and to experience the musicality, the possibilities, and whatnot that I don't experience with most people. I can learn a lot even if I dance badly.
    I used to positively love the adrenalin-fuelled challenge of asking people who I thought were out of my league, partly to learn and partly to measure my own progress. However, I've pretty much given up on scaring myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger
    Dancing with better dancers may be scary, but boy is it rewarding.
    If you never push yourself to dance with better dancers then you won't experience the example of high quality dancing, therefore may be slower to make progress.

About the feeling that you've messed up - a really high-class leader will be so smooth, precise & considerate he will make it all seem easy for you and for three minutes you will believe you are the most brilliant dancer in the world. So, if that is not what you've experienced, maybe he wasn't quite as good as you thought, therefore you don't have to bother feeling intimidated by him next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu Baby
    I dance often with experienced dancers, however, teachers are a different story...
    Many teachers are utterly brilliant and thoroughly deserve their awesome reputations - as you have found.
    However, there are plenty of people who teach dance who I would class as very able, but by no means in the brilliant category. But I'd expect all teachers to be willing to give a nervous novice a gentle and sympathetic dance.

Quote Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
    Am I star struck???

experienced dancer, and whack…. I couldn’t spin, didn’t listen to his lead very well, couldn’t have eye contact and generally felt like a complete twit!!! After cowering off after my dance and wanting the ground to swallow me up, I lost all confidence to dance with anyone other than my usual buddies.

What is going on, I ask? This is ridiculous, I have given myself a right talking to but nothing works!! Why do I turn into a wobble board??

Someone please tell me I am not alone….

xx

definately not alone . I have been dancing 3 years now and still feel like that , so much so that I dont ask anyone to dance either (which is daft as it means i get to dance very little and thererfore lose even more confidence - vicious circle I know but what ever I say to myself it doesn't help when i get to a dance ).

I went to camber the other week and by the end of the 3 days thought I had cracked it , however I went to a dance on saturday and was right back to square one , as soon as someone approached me that I had seen dancing and thought they were good i fell apart ..... what is the cure ??????

Quote Originally Posted by SJ's View Post
    I went to camber the other week and by the end of the 3 days thought I had cracked it , however I went to a dance on saturday and was right back to square one , as soon as someone approached me that I had seen dancing and thought they were good i fell apart ..... what is the cure ??????
    Heck, if THEY ask YOU you can throw caution to the winds and just go for it! I'm at my most nervy when I'VE inflicted myself upon THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    About the feeling that you've messed up - a really high-class leader will be so smooth, precise & considerate he will make it all seem easy for you and for three minutes you will believe you are the most brilliant dancer in the world. So, if that is not what you've experienced, maybe he wasn't quite as good as you thought, therefore you don't have to bother feeling intimidated by him next time!
    A really good lead will not only give you a good dance, they will give you confidence.

Thread Information