Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been to see a medium?

Re: Has anyone been to see a medium?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

I can't believe you just wrote that without any irony whatsoever.
    It's true.

The seventh daughter of the seventh daughter of the seventh daughter.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    You think BS post suggested he has been to see a medium? Sounded more to me like second hand information based on things he has read or seen on TV rather than actual experience to me. Not that its not possible to make a detailed study of something without actually experiencing it, but then you can't say you have 'experience of the the subject'.
    As I have pointed out elsewhere, if mediums are really doing what they claim to be doing, it completely overthrows the laws of physics.
    A person consists of their character and their memories. Memories, we now know, are neural pathways. We know the chemical reactions that lay down and then refresh those neural patheways. We know that a dead body cannot sustain those chemical reactions. So the memories are no longer in the brain - and in fact, if they were, there would be no way to access them, because dead bodies cannot speak, or write, or do semaphore.

For the memories and the character to be transferred, at the moment of death, to some other place where they can be accessed by mediums, there would have to be a tremendous data transfer conduit. Next time you want to transfer 4Gb of data over a USB 1.0 connection, note that it will take over an hour. OK, USB 1.0 connections are slow, but there's a hell of a lot more than 4 gigs of data in someone's memories. Think of the first weekender you went to and work out what sort of storage capacity that would need - people you met, their names, moves you learnt, places you encountered, memories of how to get to your chalet from the car park and from the chalet to the dance hall, etc. And that's just one weekend. There is no known mechanism by which data is transferred from a dying brain to some other place. If and when (if it hasn't been done already) a real-time MRI setup is attached to the head of a dying person I'm confident that it will (did) not show the sort of electrochemical activity which would be required.

The energy necessary to transfer those sort of data quantities is not insignificant either. Disconnect the laptop from the mains and battery and the 4Gb data transfer will come to a complete halt.

Of course, Christians have no problem with believing that these sorts of transfers are possible, without any known mechanism or energy source, because they believe in a soul. And since we almost all learned about souls before we learnt our 12x table, the concept is difficult to dislodge. This partly explains why most people swallow the nonsense spouted by mediums without asking questions. If you believe David Blaine can bring a dead fly back to life you're more likely to believe he can make himself float 4 inches above the pavement. But the first is the simplest of tricks, and is a preparation to make you believe the really difficult stuff.

But if RubyRed believes in life after death because she has a faith, then she ought to seek help from church personnel rather than mediums. If she has no faith, then perhaps it might help her to ask why she believes in mediums.
    RR - I hope that whatever you choose to do, you find peace and acceptance of things.
    Me too.

It's called Metaphysics.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    It is often inherited.
    Uh-huh. I'm sure the Human Genome Project is going to tell us on which chromosome the gene is located, a-n-y day now...

Avoid advertisements I would say.
    Absolutely.

Sit in your favourite chair, close your eyes and think about an infinitely tall, infintely wide wall, absolutely smooth, painted dead white. Any good medium should be able to beam his or her name and phone number onto the wall in the colour of his or her choice.

It's called Metaphysics.
    Defined as...?

Believing in any new-age (or old-age) gobbledygook.

It's true.

The seventh daughter of the seventh daughter of the seventh daughter.....
    Oh Gawd. It's going to be one of those threads isn't it.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Uh-huh. I'm sure the Human Genome Project is going to tell us on which chromosome the gene is located, a-n-y day now...
    I'm waiting for the telepathy and telekineses genes to be discovered - i want them activated God created us all, so clearly there is an ON switch, its just hidden

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I think you're chanelling Barbara Cartland

Whilst I agree with the general advice that RubyRed should speak to the living about this rather than trying to go through a medium and contact the dead, can I suggest, our of respect for her situation, that it doesn't degenerate into the usual slanging match. We know Barry's perspective on this stuff, as well as DS's and various other people's. If people want to go over that ground again, maybe start another thread.

As I have pointed out elsewhere, if mediums are really doing what they claim to be doing, it completely overthrows the laws of physics.
    No it dosn't. It's like watching a stage magician - just because you/we don't know how it's done does not mean that it's against the laws of physics...
    A person consists of their character and their memories. Memories, we now know, are neural pathways. We know the chemical reactions that lay down and then refresh those neural patheways....
    You are assuming that the "ghost" has to originate from the deceased at the time of death. If you get rid of that assumption, you can start to base things on physics and 'reality'.

The person that is visiting the medium brings their own "ghosts" with them. They have known that person. They know how they would react, they can extrapolate conversations, picture their movements and expressions, and have a complete 'picture' of them built up in their own heads. The deceased has created a ghost, but it's a construct of memories within someone's head. Does this make it any less real?

The medium may pick up on body language, tells, vocabulary, ... and give a plausible reading. If they are unaware of doing this and call it a "hunch" or something more specific - does this make it any less real?

Reality is tainted by beliefs. Beliefs can have an influence on reality. Perception taints all. If the medium helps heal a mental wound, then what does it matter if they bend perception /belief /reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

Whilst I agree with the general advice that RubyRed should speak to the living about this rather than trying to go through a medium and contact the dead, can I suggest, our of respect for her situation, that it doesn't degenerate into the usual slanging match. We know Barry's perspective on this stuff, as well as DS's and various other people's. If people want to go over that ground again, maybe start another thread.
    Hey, I've been mild and non-confrontational.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    We know Barry's perspective on this stuff, as well as DS's

You do ? Wow, I'm not sure I do, so well done

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    No it dosn't. It's like watching a stage magician - just because you/we don't know how it's done does not mean that it's against the laws of physics...
    It isn't me who doesn't know how mediums do what they do, even mediums don't claim to know. At least the magician knows how his tricks work. (Actually, so do some at least of the mediums, I suspect...)
    You are assuming that the "ghost" has to originate from the deceased at the time of death. If you get rid of that assumption, you can start to base things on physics and 'reality'.
    I'm not assuming anything. It was just a short f'rinstance of the problems involved.
    The person that is visiting the medium brings their own "ghosts" with them. They have known that person. They know how they would react, they can extrapolate conversations, picture their movements and expressions, and have a complete 'picture' of them built up in their own heads. The deceased has created a ghost, but it's a construct of memories within someone's head. Does this make it any less real?
    Ya got me there. Of course, it's infinitely more real than a ghost, since ghosts don't exist in the first place.
    The medium may pick up on body language, tells, vocabulary, ... and give a plausible reading. If they are unaware of doing this and call it a "hunch" or something more specific - does this make it any less real?
    Well, let's ask the audience. "Actually, I'm not able to contact the dead, or heal the sick, or find missing persons, but I just have a really slick routine that fools you into thinking I can do it. But that's just as real as if I could do those things, isn't it?"
    Reality is tainted by beliefs. Beliefs can have an influence on reality.
    No, they can't. There is only one reality. It may be difficult to ascertain, and is certainly prone to differing perceptions, but reality is just what is. Beliefs don't change it, except indirectly. (If enough people believe Gordon Brown is a bad PM, he might not get re-elected. The reality of who is PM has altered; but not the reality of whether he was a good PM or not.)
    Perception taints all. If the medium helps heal a mental wound, then what does it matter if they bend perception /belief /reality?
    Lies and deception are not the answer.
    Besides, your question is hypothetical. It remains to be proved whether mediums have any such effect.
    A new law is about to or may already be in effect. Anybody who holds themselves out as having mystical powers is going to have to prove it. That's gonna separate the sheep from the goats.

Thank you for your posts, I intend to give them much thought.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Thats a big assumption. Not a single person on this forum is immune to being conned no matter how smart they are.
    I'm not making any assumptions about every single person on this forum.

Rubyred has stated that she has already decided to consult a medium and asked for thoughts.

I gave her my thoughts, based on the info she gave that her grief was not recent and based on having met her. It is quite clear from meeting her that she is not a stupid, weak, vulnerable, gullible woman. This does not make her immune to being conned but I doubt it would be easy to con her. Therefore, it is my opinion that if she has decided on this course of action she should go ahead and it is unlikely to harm her.

If a different type of person had posted the question or if the grief was more recent and raw, I may have a different opinion.

the people who go to them are gullible enough to believe any old rubbish.
    Your usual sweeping generalisation about anyone who believes differently from you.

I don't believe Rubyred is gullibe enough to believe any old rubbish. Are you saying that she is?

Thats rather niave, reminds me of the Dr.Pepper adverts. Go on, whats the worst that could happen
    Why don't you enlighten us then? What harm is likely to befall Rubyred if she goes ahead with this?

You do ? Wow, I'm not sure I do, so well done
    Of course she does. We all do. Your perspective on any subject is to agree with everything and anything Barry posts.

Commercial Operator

Given the nature of Ruby's original post, let's show some sensitivity and avoid a fight on this thread, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I have decided to go to see a medium next week, my reasons are around the difficulty I have had in coming to terms with a death in the family, not a recent one I hasten to add. I have to admit I am nervous about it to an extent, and not entering into the experience lightly, but I wondered if I could get some answers so as to try to understand my situation better. I wondered if others have had experience of going to see mediums and what they were? I invite your thoughts please?

......and of course before the joke is aired medium in this case has nothing to do with size.

Great idea to go and see a medium.

I have been to see a couple of mediums and have had a great deal of comfort from some of them. For a couple of days before going to your reading think about the person that you are wanting to come through, talk to them, ask them to mention something specific that would confirm them.

I would suggest taking a pen and paper with you; the experience is so overwhelming that you can never remember everything that is said. It’s good to have something to refer back to.

I made sure that I did not discuss anything to do with my personal life while waiting to be seen and took off my wedding rings too. Some people make obvious comments if they get clues to your life. Wouldn’t mention that you are grieving either. If the medium is good they will know it already!

I am a big believer in spirits and not trying to sound like a complete freak, I have someone that visits me regularly. I see him often; although scary to begin with I am now keen to know what he wants.

Most of all relax; don’t expect to feel ‘all sorted’ after ‘cause that wont be the case! Mediums are not fixers they are there to help you open doors if you allow it.

Good luck.

x

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    It is quite clear from meeting her that she is not a stupid, weak, vulnerable, gullible woman.
    It's also clear that someone who is not a stupid, weak, vulnerable, gullible person may occasionally be stupid, weak, vulnerable and gullible, if the circumstances dictate.

(And, for avoidance of doubt, that's a general remark and not aimed in any way at RubyRed, whom I do not know. (I think.))

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Your usual sweeping generalisation about anyone who believes differently from you.
    Unfair. I was referring to specific sorts of people who go to specific mediums.

Plus, you should distinguish between the fact that I criticise people who believe differently from me, and why I criticise them. It isn't because they believe differently from me. I believe that Blade Runner is the best Hollywood film ever made, but I won't scoff at someone who prefers Chinatown.

Thread Information