Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been to see a medium?

Re: Has anyone been to see a medium?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Stewart is channeling Samuel Johnson donchaknow.
    More like Wilko Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Since we now know that that Hippocrates' science is complete cobblers, we should at least be hugely sceptical of any other a priori claims of Greek philosophers.
    To this day, newly qualified doctors have to swear The Hippocratical Oath. Plus the Symbol (the snakes on the staff caduceus) is still used by the the Royal College of Physicians.
    Physically? Why would that be? What is it about contact with dead people that is draining physically? I can understand why it would by psychologically draining, dealing with the recently bereaved; but where in what they do is there a physical effort involved?
    I put the 2 words together - physically and psychically. See how similar they are? What does that tell you?
    How are they to be spotted, please?
    Get references?

(Notice how I resisted posting: The Charlatans? I thought they'd split up. Great band!!)
    But you didn't resist, did you?
    Last edited by Astro; 20th-May-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I put the 2 words together - physically and psychically. See how similar they are? What does that tell you?
    Its the SAME WORD! I should have noticed.

Has anyone noticed how potato and tomato are really similar? A baked tomato and cheese is great by the way, i tried it.

Get references?
    Fair enough. But someone must have spotted the charlatans in the first place. So how did they spot them? I mean, can you check their credentials? (Maybe some of them have a degree from the University of Metaphysics?) Catch them out?

How? If one medium gives you one message from your dead great-great-aunt and another gives you a completely opposite message, how do you know which one is right? Consult a third one and go the majority vote?

I'm confused.

After all, you wouldn't use a plumber or builder out of the Yellow Pages would you?
    I wish someone had told me not to when I bought my first house!!! the number of times I've been conned by bloody builders....grrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    I wish someone had told me not to when I bought my first house!!! the number of times I've been conned by bloody builders....grrrrrrrrr
    What you should do is find a good medium and ask them to recommend a decent plumber / builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    What you should do is find a good medium and ask them to recommend a decent plumber / builder.
    Alternatively, if there was a decent plumber/builder who was also a medium, you wouldn't need the Yellow Pages to call them, they'd be able to find you

(I'll get me coat)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Alternatively, if there was a decent plumber/builder who was also a medium, you wouldn't need the Yellow Pages to call them, they'd be able to find you

(I'll get me coat)
    Bloomin' genius!

(I'll get me coat)
    Funny thing that, because I have a sister who needs a new kitchen...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Why would you want a dead plumber/builder? Are some of the live ones THAT bad ?

I think you're thinking of a psychic.

Thought I would feed back my experience, and I stress it purely subjective and I mean no disrespect to people who get comfort from consulting mediums.

It didn't work for me, she said it was the worst sitting she'd ever had. I don't know what it was about me or her but there was no connection, what she told me could be applied to almost everyone and was too wide sweaping and general for me to take on board. I was not trying to be unreceptive but I kept coming up with if ands and buts in my head, and would get really frustrated, because she kept pulling me back to things that weren't significant for me. Then she said that if these things don't mean anything to me now then they might be for the future, well lets see!!!

Funnily enough when we had a glass wine together afterwards we got on really well. I am glad I went for the experience but its not for me.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I kept coming up with if ands and buts in my head, and would get really frustrated, because she kept pulling me back to things that weren't significant for me.
    I'm sorry you didn't get anything out of the experience.

On the other hand, it reads like you might just be too sensible to really believe in this stuff...

Blog Entries

I'm sorry you didn't get anything out of the experience.

On the other hand, it reads like you might just be too sensible to really believe in this stuff...
    Thats exactly what i told her.

Its all a load of tosh if you ask me but as you have correctly said, if you find comfort then whats the harm. its the same as asking god to help when your in a crisis, we all do it now and then even though we may not beleive but it may help to pray when your frightened and give comfort, this is the same for mediums. IMHO anyway.

my mums a medium she does it on stage.. shes just been on tour in america lol.

I am glad I went for the experience but its not for me.
    I'm sorry you didn't find the answers you were looking for and hope you find them elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Thats exactly what i told her.

Its all a load of tosh if you ask me but as you have correctly said, if you find comfort then whats the harm. its the same as asking god to help when your in a crisis, we all do it now and then even though we may not beleive but it may help to pray when your frightened and give comfort, this is the same for mediums. IMHO anyway.
    I find it impossible to believe that lying to vulnerable and distressed people, tricking them, or mistakenly telling them things which are completely untrue, is a good idea. Whether it comforts them or not is pretty hit or miss, isn't it?

I find it impossible to believe that lying to vulnerable and distressed people, tricking them, or mistakenly telling them things which are completely untrue, is a good idea. Whether it comforts them or not is pretty hit or miss, isn't it?
    Oh I dunno Barry. Mediums tend to make vague comments that could relate to any part of your life, so if you believe in them you can turn the session into whatever you want it to be and make it a positive experience.

It's a bit like the BNP thread. No one wants to take them seriously, but lots of people believe in them and give them credibility, so you can't dismiss them.

Blog Entries

Well... you and me think that as do so many other people, but some people when they are deep in grief are desperate to feel, find, have something back. Whilst mediums in our opinion are con artists, to these people who are desperate it could make a major difference if they feel that they have managed to communicate with a loved one. Is it a good idea, in principle yes if it works for them. Tricking them etc etc, well thats no different to most things in this world. Things are never as they seem.

<LI class=byline>Charlie Brooker <LI class=publication>The Guardian, <LI class=date>Monday December 4 2006 <LI class=history>Article historyAbout this article

Close
    This article appeared in the Guardian on Monday December 04 2006 on p5 of the Comment & features section. It was last updated at 00:04 on January 12 2008.

If I walked into a single mother's house and said I could read her baby's mind, then started shouting four-letter words, claiming I was simply voicing her offspring's thoughts, I would expect to be arrested the moment I stepped outside.

And if, during my "psychic reading", I also speculated about the mother's sex life, and a potentially abusive relationship with a former boyfriend, claiming her toddler was concerned about "men who want to touch mum's privates", and I went on and on in this vein until the mother burst into tears, there in the living room, in front of her child, I'd expect to be arrested, sectioned, and beaten in the back of the van.

And if I allowed a TV crew to broadcast what I was doing, I'd expect to be attacked by a mob, who'd pull me apart and kick my remains around the street, pausing only to spit on any bits of my face that got stuck to their shoes.

But no. In fact the outcry would be muted at best and Ofcom would turn a blind eye - as it did last week, while clearing Channel 5's unbelievably disgusting Baby Mind Reader of any wrongdoing.

I've never fully understood the public's docile acceptance of psychics, or why, when it comes to their supposed abilities, the burden of proof is assumed to lie with the sceptic, as opposed to the sort of shrieking idiot who claims to be able to contact the spirit world (or in Derek Ogilvie's case, communicate telepathically with kids too young to talk).

I'm quite hardcore on this. I think every psychic and medium in this country belongs in prison. Even the ones demented enough to believe in what they're doing. In fact, especially them. Give them windowless cells and make them crap in buckets. They can spend the rest of their days sewing mailbags in the dark.

The audiences that psychics prey on are equally infuriating, albeit less deserving of contempt. They're just disappointing, like a friend who's let you down. Often, they're simply grieving and desperate.

I mean, if you want to believe in psychics, fine. You're a dangerous idiot and I wouldn't trust you to operate a spoon without putting an eye out ... but fine. Your choice. Delude yourself silly. Your world is probably more fun than the real one. There's no death, just an afterlife filled with magic spirits who like to communicate with eerie, ugly, otherwise-unemployable bottom-of-the-barrel "showmen" back on Earth.

But don't accuse anyone with the temerity to question your sad supernatural fantasies of having a "closed mind" or being "blind to possibilities". A closed mind asks no questions, unthinkingly accepting that which it wants to believe. The blindness is all yours.

(If you want to feel your eyes pop rudely open, swot up on the "cold reading" techniques fake psychics use - a combination of guesswork and sly conversational tics which give the impression that the "psychic" is magically receiving accurate information from the ether. A fantastic (albeit pricey) step-by-step guide is available from Ianrowland.com.

Anyway, back to my psychic prison fantasies. The problem with trying to jail all the mediums in Britain is they'd a) see it coming, and escape overseas to somewhere even more gullible, like Narnia, before you'd passed the legislation, or b) call on their ghostly friends in the spirit world to whisk them from harm's reach.
    Except they couldn't because ghosts - unlike scumbags and conmen - don't exist. Pity. But that's the real world for you. Often disappointing. But real. At least it's always real.

It didn't work for me, she said it was the worst sitting she'd ever had. I don't know what it was about me or her but there was no connection, what she told me could be applied to almost everyone and was too wide sweaping and general for me to take on board. I was not trying to be unreceptive but I kept coming up with if ands and buts in my head, and would get really frustrated, because she kept pulling me back to things that weren't significant for me. Then she said that if these things don't mean anything to me now then they might be for the future, well lets see!!!
    If there was no deceased person's presence present, then where did she claim to get her information from?

Thread Information