Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been to see a medium?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Has anyone been to see a medium?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    What makes a recommendation or referral by a church something 'religious sponsored'? (Especially when Keefy has said they are non religious counselling services.) You think the church gets paid to refer people to counsellors?
    No Im not using "sponsor" in that way. I'm merely pointing out what i see as a double standard with Keefys post. I admit the link is tenuous at best but its the fact that he is so clearly against mediums (with no knowledge of them) whilst not batting an eye at a link to a religion in his counselling service suggestion.

I think your personal prejudices against churches are what is showing up here DS.
    Thats a shame, as I don't have any prejudices against churches. I chose to get married in one and still attend ceremonies. My arguments on the forum have rarely anything to do with my real life
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 19th-May-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    No Im not using "sponsor" in that way. I'm merely pointing out what i see as a double standard with Keefys post. I admit the link is tenuous at best but its the fact that he is so clearly against mediums (with no knowledge of them) whilst not batting an eye at a link to a religion in his counselling service suggestion.
    I understood that mediums charged money, and preferred people to see them, than refer people on if they don't have the experience or expertise to deal with the issues people come to them with. Which is what churches will do.

When people go to mediums and say 'I'm not sure I really believe in what you believe but I am struggling with this situation' and the medium responds by saying 'here is a list of approved counsellors you can contact - and by the way - no charge' then its going to be a comparable situation.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I understood that mediums charged money,
    Not all of them. And the original post never mentioned a payment so it wasn't something I thought of as an issue.

When people go to mediums and say 'I'm not sure I really believe in what you believe but I am struggling with this situation' and the medium responds by saying 'here is a list of approved counsellors you can contact - and by the way - no charge' then its going to be a comparable situation.
    I don't think its likely to ever be a comparable situation even at that, the purpose of both is different - a local church (or other) counsellor is there purely to counsel; a medium is there to talk to the deceased on your behalf.

Thats a shame, as I don't have any prejudices against churches. I chose to get married in one and still attend ceremonies. My arguments on the forum have rarely anything to do with my real life
    In that case, maybe you should take that into consideration when engaging with others in discussion. Keefy was talking about a friend's experience in real life and RR is also talking about a real situation. So it may have nothing to do with real life for you, but it does for others.

This thread is an academic discussion for you maybe, but other people are simply trying to offer what they feel is helpful advice to RR.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

In that case, maybe you should take that into consideration when engaging with others in discussion. Keefy was talking about a friend's experience in real life and RR is also talking about a real situation.
    And he had a real and obvious bias against mediums I felt was worth pointing out. I don't understand why you would think it necessary to restrict me when you do not dismiss Keefys bias on something he has no real life experience of

And he had a real and obvious bias against mediums I felt was worth pointing out. I don't understand why you would think it necessary to restrict me when you do not dismiss Keefys bias on something he has no real life experience of
    I'm not trying to restrict you! I don't think Keefy was hiding his dislike of mediums - and the only basis you had of arguing with him was because he said he had no experience of them - you didn't have any problem with BS also dismissing them with no experience himself either.

I'm still not clear exactly what the problem was with Keefy sharing his opinion (presumably based on things he has heard or read) on mediums and his opinion on church referred counsellors (based on a friend's experience) and why you feel you have to take issue with it - especially when you yourself have said the two are not comparable anyway?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'm not trying to restrict you! I don't think Keefy was hiding his dislike of mediums - and the only basis you had of arguing with him was because he said he had no experience of them - you didn't have any problem with BS also dismissing them with no experience himself either.
    I already said it sounded to me like he DID have a lot of experience of mediums - whereas Keefy admits he has none. My basis for arguing was his opinion they were are out to con DESPITE having admitted not knowing what he was talking about. BS is talking as if he DOES know what he is talking about - maybe he doesn't, but I'm not concerned with proving who is correct.

I'm still not clear exactly what the problem was with Keefy sharing his opinion (presumably based on things he has heard or read) on mediums and his opinion on church referred counsellors (based on a friend's experience) and why you feel you have to take issue with it
    There is no issue on his opinion other than pointing out the double standard. Thats it. No other agenda or bias is involved. No sheep were harmed in the making of these forum posts

especially when you yourself have said the two are not comparable anyway?
    They are not comparable in the way you suggested i.e. their counselling angle - but they are belief based (tenuous as i said as the church service may not BE religious despite the links) and some people would beg to differ on Keefys utter dismissal of mediums. I merely pointed out the bias and you've come along to draw a moustache and glasses on it and call it a heretic Really, its not that big a deal - if you don't agree there was a double standard, we can disagree

I bet you clear the kitchen at parties.
    I bet you don't get invited to any parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    Sorry Astro, but Metaphysics has nothing to do with physics, and is certainly not the mother of physics. It is more closely aligned to philosophy, if anything.
    Socrates wrote a book on metaphysics. But, you are right, it is pegged as philosopy. The reason it is classed as philosophy is that the physics scientists do not understand it, it being scientifically unmeasurable.

here is an example -

There is an ancient legend that there is a secret door in the Spinx (Eygpt).
    Inside lie the secrets of the universe which will show that metaphysicical Law is omnipresent.

To date, no one has found the secret door. A rational scientist or archeologist would say it is a myth - we have examined every inch of the Spinx and there is no door.

An understanding of Metaphyisical law, would know that the door will only be found by the right person at the right time.

If these scrollls fell into the hands of our rational scientists of today they would try to use the information and destroy our planet faster than they are at present, due to their limited understanding.

This New Thought University seems exactly the sort of place that is interested in the development of your spiritual self through the physical manifestation of taking away your money. Personally, I haven't heard of Metaphysics as primary degree courses at the likes of UCL or Oxbridge.
    It gives an idea of the many different aspects of metapyschics.
    A death can be a traumatic experience for those around it and can leave people vulnerable. Whilst there are many well-meaning people there are also those who are prepared to take advantage of grief and bereavement. Whilst I hope RubyRed is able to overcome her problem and find some comfort, I would also advise her to be wary.
    I agree. A true medium will not advertise.

In fact they will hide, because they have too many customers.

It is very draining on their health, psychically and physically
    Last edited by Astro; 19th-May-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I bet you don't get invited to any parties.
    actually - i do alright, i don't talk "forum stuff" in real life Nor am I all that "scathing" in the flesh, lifes too short.

In fact I think I'm getting worse on here, I'll try and not be so picky

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Socrates wrote a book on metaphysics.
    They didn't know anything in those days. They simply speculated and then adopted the results of their speculations as fact. Which is why nearly 3,000 years later people who were on the brink of death were treated to a blood-letting by their physicians, who diagnosed the illness as being due to an excess of a particular 'humour', when modern medicine has revealed that the illness was caused by a viral infection.

Since we now know that that Hippocrates' science is complete cobblers, we should at least be hugely sceptical of any other a priori claims of Greek philosophers.
    The reason it is classed as philosophy is that the physics scientists do not understand it, it being scientifically unmeasurable.
    Cleverly put. Makes it sound as though physicists are inadequate.

Things are not 'scientifically' measurable: they are measurable, or not. Some very scientific 'things' are unmeasurable (or practically so): gravity waves, for example. Metaphysics is not incorporated into science because it i) makes assertions that have quantifiable, measurable effects where ii) those effects have never been reliably observed. cf. Russell's teapot, the invisible pink unicorn, pots of gold at the end of the rainbow, 'memory water' in homoepathic medicines.

That's not all. Not only are the effects unobserved, but no proponent of metaphysics has ever proposed a reasonable mechanism by which these effects come about.

Peter Sutcliffe said he killed because he was told to do so by God. Why - if we are in the business of uncritically accepting unsubstantiated assertions - is he still in jail?
    There is an ancient legend that there is a secret door in the Sphinx (Eygpt).
    Inside lie the secrets of the universe which will show that metaphysicical Law is omnipresent.

To date, no one has found the secret door. A rational scientist or archeologist would say it is a myth - we have examined every inch of the Spinx and there is no door.

An understanding of Metaphyisical law, would know that the door will only be found by the right person at the right time.
    You're not serious? You don't really believe nonsense like that? Somebody once poked fun at creationist theories of human/dinosaur co-existence by saying that he couldn't deal with people who thought the Flintstones was a documentary. That statement of yours makes it appear that you believe that the Indiana Jones films are documentaries.

(PS What are the secrets of the universe? How to boil the perfect egg? How to travel FTL? Why Paris Hilton became a celebrity? I mean, what secrets?)
    If these scrollls fell into the hands of our rational scientists of today they would try to use the information and destroy our planet faster than they are at present, due to their limited understanding. It gives an idea of the many different aspects of metapyschics.
    That makes me want to ask you for a list of nonsensical things that you don't believe. Scientists aren't responsible for what has happened to our planet, we are.

Science (and its siamese twin, technology) has given us: modern access to great art (music, theatre, film); an understanding of the way the universe works; increased crop yields to feed the world; ways of combating disease and illness which help people to live and to live longer lives and to live better lives (I personally would be dead if not for medical science, not to mention crippled); the ability to travel round the world and see and understand our fellow humans better; ways of dealing with natural disasters (helicopters in China; water purification tablets in Burma; forecasting of severe weather conditions; etc etc). Your idea of science is rather limited, it would appear.
    I agree. A true medium will not advertise.

In fact they will hide, because they have too many customers.

It is very draining on their health, psychically and physically
    Physically? Why would that be? What is it about contact with dead people that is draining physically? I can understand why it would by psychologically draining, dealing with the recently bereaved; but where in what they do is there a physical effort involved?

NB I'd like the Moderators to consider splitting this so that the vigorous argument isn't in RubyRed's face.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    NB I'd like the Moderators to consider splitting this so that the vigorous argument isn't in RubyRed's face.
    or just delete all my posts and their replies - don't you just hate it when a point of pedantry escalates

although I'm not sure an argument on metaphysics or how dubious the concept of mediums may be, is beneficial to rubyreds original question on others experience of mediums, when she is already going.

It was keefys dismissal of something she was already going to do that prompted my argument, I'm sorry i bothered now.

(PS What are the secrets of the universe? How to boil the perfect egg? How to travel FTL? Why Paris Hilton became a celebrity? I mean, what secrets?)
    Well doh! if you knew, then they wouldn't be secrets would they!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Well doh! if you knew, then they wouldn't be secrets would they!
    so you mean we don't know the questions OR the answers? i think you might be right

This is a fallacy. These people depend for their income on fooling people into thinking that they are telling them things which they could not know if not for their mystical powers. You really think that they aren't good at doing it? Of course, some of them are probably lazy because the people who go to them are gullible enough to believe any old rubbish.
    You have to be very skilled to use deception and make it look like your talking to people from beyond the grave

ie Have you ever been married ?

No, ......... I thought not because ......

yes........... I sense that because......

I dont know about all mediums but i know there is a lot of skill with some

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    You have to be very skilled to use deception and make it look like your talking to people from beyond the grave

ie Have you ever been married ?

No, ......... I thought not because ......

yes........... I sense that because......

I dont know about all mediums but i know there is a lot of skill with some
    Derren Brown is on record as stating that he is not a medium.

He states he uses phsychology and sleight of hand.

I agree that there are Charletans purporting to be bona fide mediums.

That's why word of mouth reccomendation is the safest way of finding a true medium.

After all, you wouldn't use a plumber or builder out of the Yellow Pages would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I agree that there are Charlatans purporting to be bona fide mediums.
    How are they to be spotted, please?

(Notice how I resisted posting: The Charlatans? I thought they'd split up. Great band!!)

A)Peter Sutcliffe said he killed because he was told to do so by God. Why - if we are in the business of uncritically accepting unsubstantiated assertions - is he still in jail?

B)Physically? Why would that be? What is it about contact with dead people that is draining physically? I can understand why it would by psychologically draining, dealing with the recently bereaved; but where in what they do is there a physical effort involved?

I think we need to help BS out

Ans to A , he cant see the exit ??

The Ripper's final victims | Independent on Sunday, The | Find Articles at BNET.com

To suggest in Ghosts that Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg) didnt suffer physically is a bit far fetched. If someone enters your body it surely has a physical effect ?

Whoopi Goldberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I think we need to help BS out

Ans to A , he cant see the exit ??

The Ripper's final victims | Independent on Sunday, The | Find Articles at BNET.com

To suggest in Ghosts that Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg) didnt suffer physically is a bit far fetched. If someone enters your body it surely has a physical effect ?

Whoopi Goldberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Um - that's not mediumship. Is it called 'channelling'?

Whenever I 'enter someone's body', if it doesn't have a physical effect I'm really disappointed. Moans are good, quivering also.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Um - that's not mediumship. Is it called 'channelling'?
    Stewart is channeling Samuel Johnson donchaknow.

Thread Information