Thread: Salsa Tumble...

Salsa Tumble...

Hi guys...my dance partner and I are trying to add the Salsa Tumble into our repertoire of moves, and I was wondering whether forumites have any tips for executing it well, and inserting it into the flow of the dance. I know a lot of salsa dancers do that thing where the man executes the move, then smirks while standing over the follower, pretending to smarm back his hair etc etc, but I think that looks a bit cheesy.

I was also wondering whether followers have any tips for maintaining posture during the movement - ie when the follower is bent backwards, supporting their own weight? I'm guessing it probably calls for good core strength, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Just in case I've got the name wrong, this is the move I'm referring to:
    Last edited by Terpsichorea; 15th-May-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Re: Salsa Tumble...

Well, I can't see this hitting my repertoire any time soon but based on the clip I reckon using both hands to support the lady rather than slicking your hair back with one hand or styling it some other way is probably a good idea. I think the eye will be drawn to the lady rather than you so I would concentrate on making it as stable and comfortable for her as possible. Also wouldn't recommend trying it on anyone but your regular partner but seems like that's your intention anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Well, I can't see this hitting my repertoire any time soon but based on the clip I reckon using both hands to support the lady rather than slicking your hair back with one hand or styling it some other way is probably a good idea. I think the eye will be drawn to the lady rather than you so I would concentrate on making it as stable and comfortable for her as possible. Also wouldn't recommend trying it on anyone but your regular partner but seems like that's your intention anyway.
    Hi Rob, cheers for that - yes it's definitely one which I'll be reserving solely for my regular partner!

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Hi guys...my dance partner and I are trying to add the Salsa Tumble into our repertoire of moves, and I was wondering whether forumites have any tips for executing it well, and inserting it into the flow of the dance. I know a lot of salsa dancers do that thing where the man executes the move, then smirks while standing over the follower, pretending to smarm back his hair etc etc, but I think that looks a bit cheesy.

I was also wondering whether followers have any tips for maintaining posture during the movement - ie when the follower is bent backwards, supporting their own weight? I'm guessing it probably calls for good core strength, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Hi,
    Lucille and me do this move (or very similar) , we just call it a tumble turn.
    In Strictly Come dancing - mark and karen did one during their salsa routine. Plenty of clips on youtube. They like us have the lead using just one arm to support the follow.
    I think Lucille goes on her toes as she is turning into the drop so that it is easier to turn and she doesnt rock back too much onto her heels. She also makes a big effort to thrust her hips up so as too avoid a sitting position look(i.e. bum near the floor). She also puts her arms slightly out to side for styling. I also put left arm out to side for styling as well.
    We tried several different methods of getting into the move and the one that suits us is using the catapult and as the follow is led to the leads left, I place my right hand on her left shoulder as she steps infront of me on her toes in prep for turn/drop. Sometimes I use my hand as support and sometimes I use the whole of my lower arm. I personally found this worked for me, as I have both feet planted at shoulder width for stability. I am sure others will have their own preferences.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by jemessex; 15th-May-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I do a move similar to this with Claire, where i Dip her by her kneck then compleatley let go catching her with the back of my leg.

Anyway, one or two things to make sure, First your hand is at the base of her kneck and not at the top as this could hurt her and is less supporting, Second the girl should crab with her legs (bend at both knees) at least to practise as this is more supporting.

With regards to mens styling, I would support with both hands but make sure that any height reduction is done at the knees rather than the back or shoulders.Keep the head up and dont look down at your partner (unless making eye contact) or it just looks like you are looking down her cleavage.

I've got the Peter Philips Dips 'n Drops DVD and this shows how to do the MJ equivalent of this move called the 'Wave' (and lots of others of course). The way he teaches it makes it easy to get the right hand in the correct position on the lady's neck, and shows the correct technique for the lady's legs. I'd suggest this is a good investment if you're keen on learning some of the more flash dips 'n drops for use with a fixed partner.

I've done one kinda similar - but it was a double drop, as well as the lady's legs not being bent and a part (the legs were more like placement in a dip/drop - ie one straight and supporting one bent).
    I've seen the one you're referring to quite a few times - it looks a lot more flattering when the woman's crotch isn't aimed at the audience when the drop is executed. Although I guess it all depends on the look you're after...

Quote Originally Posted by jemessex View Post
    Hi,
    Lucille and me do this move (or very similar) , we just call it a tumble turn.
    In Strictly Come dancing - mark and karen did one during their salsa routine. Plenty of clips on youtube. They like us have the lead using just one arm to support the follow.
    I think Lucille goes on her toes as she is turning into the drop so that it is easier to turn and she doesnt rock back too much onto her heels. She also makes a big effort to thrust her hips up so as too avoid a sitting position look(i.e. bum near the floor). She also puts her arms slightly out to side for styling. I also put left arm out to side for styling as well.
    We tried several different methods of getting into the move and the one that suits us is using the catapult and as the follow is led to the leads left, I place my right hand on her left shoulder as she steps infront of me on her toes in prep for turn/drop. Sometimes I use my hand as support and sometimes I use the whole of my lower arm. I personally found this worked for me, as I have both feet planted at shoulder width for stability. I am sure others will have their own preferences.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers mate, I think the catapult will be a good way to get into it, I'll give it a go tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    I do a move similar to this with Claire, where i Dip her by her kneck then compleatley let go catching her with the back of my leg.

Anyway, one or two things to make sure, First your hand is at the base of her kneck and not at the top as this could hurt her and is less supporting, Second the girl should crab with her legs (bend at both knees) at least to practise as this is more supporting.

With regards to mens styling, I would support with both hands but make sure that any height reduction is done at the knees rather than the back or shoulders.Keep the head up and dont look down at your partner (unless making eye contact) or it just looks like you are looking down her cleavage.
    Hi Lee, cheers for that, I'll give it a go, and thanks for the tip about not bending at the back or shoulders!

Thread Information