Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coughing

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Coughing

well last night/this morning has to go down in the record books as the night from hell.

Having spent the last 5 1/2 hours coughing and as a result throwing up, i now feel throughly rotten and very very sore.

About 3 weeks ago i was coughing up green stuff to be told by my doctor that i has acute bronchitis, a course of antibiotics and i started to feel better until yesterday, there seemed to be a catching in my throat, nearly like a stray hair or something went down the wrong tube. Last night i took an almighty coughing fit which landed me at the toilet seat relieving my stomach of its contents, since i have not been able to sleep or settle despite hot drinks and "trying" to sleep sitting up.

Does anyone have anything that may mean i might be able to have a half decent sleep tonight before Viva Las Vegas?

Re: Coughing

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    well last night/this morning has to go down in the record books as the night from hell.

Having spent the last 5 1/2 hours coughing and as a result throwing up, i now feel throughly rotten and very very sore.

About 3 weeks ago i was coughing up green stuff to be told by my doctor that i has acute bronchitis, a course of antibiotics and i started to feel better until yesterday, there seemed to be a catching in my throat, nearly like a stray hair or something went down the wrong tube. Last night i took an almighty coughing fit which landed me at the toilet seat relieving my stomach of its contents, since i have not been able to sleep or settle despite hot drinks and "trying" to sleep sitting up.

Does anyone have anything that may mean i might be able to have a half decent sleep tonight before Viva Las Vegas?
    a decent drowsy making cough suppressant - there is one that i got in boots last year - can't remember the name of it - but it was potent stuff - tasted vile - but I was so tired & sore from coughing that I didn't care

ask chemist for a cough suppressant - and then pick the one that isn't labelled none drowsy and with a little luck sleep will be yours

I hate to say it, but the best thing might be to get yourself back to the doctor and explain what happened, and take the weekend off to get yourself recovered - you won't be able to dance anyway if you are coughing all the time and have had no sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    I hate to say it, but the best thing might be to get yourself back to the doctor and explain what happened, and take the weekend off to get yourself recovered - you won't be able to dance anyway if you are coughing all the time and have had no sleep.
    oh and then there is the very sensible option...

Look after yourself Dee!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

There will be other weekenders. (And you were on a weekender just last weekend anyway!) Pushing yourself on when you feel so ill is not a good idea. Sometimes we have to put our health first.

I know its tough, I've had to pull out of a weekender on the Fri morning having woken up very ill - but even had I been able to travel (which I couldn't) I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Lynn; 15th-May-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Get yourself to a doctor, asap! I once had a cough that lasted for months and ended up cracking a rib cause of it, which is really not nice...

Hope you feel better soon Dee

i use pholocodine which is a cough supressant!

And horrible though it is to miss a weekender, do you really want to hear everyone cursing the person who spread the lurgy around VLV and knowing it was probably you?!

Take good care of yourself and get better before Southport...

There does always seem to be a catalouge of people being ill after these weekenders, clearly a breeding ground for germs.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It could be Asthma.

Even though you've never had it before, it can strike at any time. Sometimes its due to an allergen.

I'm allergic to may things, bizarre things, like lemon barley and dry white wine, these two in particular cause me to have a wheezy cough.

So, go see you doctor, it could even be hay-fever!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    It could be Asthma.
    I was about to say that too!

I once had a cough that lasted for weeks - eventually Dr gave me some asthma inhalers and that did the trick in just a few days

Not wanting to sound like your Mother D but are you still smoking?

not going to southport and i doubt i am contagious as no one else has picked it up off me.

I do have stress related asthma (ie when i get stressed i cough for no reason and do it for months it was awful the first time it happened)

i also have hayfever

so all rolled into one i think we have a winner!

Just as an aside and based on something I heard this week...

Please - anyone who has a long term persistent cough get it checked by a doctor. A friend didn't, thinking she was just prone to coughs, and it has now led to something very serious.

Doesn't sound like an asthma cough to me. Asthma coughs come from the chest, not the throat.

The only non-medicine way I know of tackling coughs is to lay on your side when you sleep.

Good luck Dee xxx

not going to southport and i doubt i am contagious as no one else has picked it up off me.

I do have stress related asthma (ie when i get stressed i cough for no reason and do it for months it was awful the first time it happened)

i also have hayfever

so all rolled into one i think we have a winner!
    I would suggest buy a mask so that when you come to Camber people don't realise you have come with a cough. ;o)

So you have a winner? What is you cure then?

Benylin Non Drowsy Dry Coughs with Dextromethorphan

Non Drowsy Hayfever and allergy relief

and lots of water

havent coughed in 1/2 hour!!!

Benylin Non Drowsy Dry Coughs with Dextromethorphan

Non Drowsy Hayfever and allergy relief

and lots of water

havent coughed in 1/2 hour!!!
    Good luck.

Depending on if the cause originates from your sinus' as they get blocked and mucus etc runs straight to your chest making you cough. You could think about steam inhalation and sudafed but cafeful taking medicines together.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Just as an aside and based on something I heard this week...

Please - anyone who has a long term persistent cough get it checked by a doctor. A friend didn't, thinking she was just prone to coughs, and it has now led to something very serious.
    for my grandmother it was the first symptom of a very serious completely non-lung/breathing illness

................there seemed to be a catching in my throat, nearly like a stray hair or something went down the wrong tube...............?
    The last time I had something like that,I had it checked and it was like a small ulcer right at the back of the throat.It drove my crazy for a day or two.You have my sympathy.

Codeine is fantastic for stopping coughing, but being a strong prescription painkiller it's not normally something people have kicking around! Er, unless you've got a bad back or something like that....

I find that none of the cough mixtures help at all, and hot drinks, cough sweets etc only help for about a minute, if that..... I had a really bad cough a few years back, and in the end phoned one of my doctor friends, who was completely crestfallen when he discovered I had a medicine cupboard full of dihydrocodeine, and hadn't tried one to stop the coughing. Well I didn't know codeine stops coughing, did I?? But now that I do, I never need to spend endless nights coughing my lungs up any more!

Hope the cough stays away, Dee! If not: SEE YOUR DOCTOR!! (Says the monkey who ran out of asthma meds two weeks ago and haven't had time to go and get new ones...)

Thread Information