Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaze III – the aftermath

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Blaze III – the aftermath

I had some awesome dances this weekend AND the space to really go for it!

I don't usually do many workshops at weekenders, as I know I don't get much out of them but I did all but one of Mario's and found them extremely entertaining and very informative. I was so impressed with how he suddenly came up with the idea of dividing the class into a row of WCS'ers and a couple of rows of Cerocers, then managed to teach the same idea but translating it to fit the needs of each group...

...the mans a genious!

One thing that struck me during the last class, the one on syncopations, was how much the cerocers instantly looked like they were doing WCS, as soon as the added the 'hitch ballchanges and tap ballchanges', they were dancing in slots already, as it was a class! It was quite amazing!

Personally, I've got lots of things to work on now, although I haven't started spinning to and from my bedroom, yet!

I want to thank all the leads who let me/encouraged me to try things out and gave me honest feedback when I asked for it, its people like you, who made my weekend

The music was mostly brilliant for me and the fact that it was so simple to change rooms, when a track wasn't quite to my taste, that I don't remember dancing to anything I didn't like!

The downsides for me were...

My Caravan practically being in England. I can't tell you how much I hate being far away, as I like to pop back through out the day and night to freshen up but my feet were having none of it, so I, (and everyone else) had to put up with me being sticky

The bar being decommissioned in the venue, meant having to go downstairs to get drinks... they must have lost revenue from this, as I know I personally stuck to the free water most of the time, cos it took too much time and ruined my flow, when I went out.

Back to the good....

The main thing about the weekend, as always, was the Scots, you never fail to make me feel welcome and your all such lovely dancers!

It was nice to put some more names to faces and I had some lovely dances with a couple of new (to me) forumites, Dundee dancer and the Whale. I just wish I'd met/been introduced to some more. Maybe next time?

So, where will 'next time' be?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Absolutely fab weekend! Thanks to Franck and Sheena, you're both stars And ofcourse to everyone else for making it such fun! Loved it. Special thanks to my fixed partner in the Aregentinian Tango class and Daring Dips, I thought we done really well

Got to meet a lot of new people, and wish I could dance with you more often! (Filthy Monkey... )

What a great crowd

Can't wait for the next one.

Lou xx

Blog Entries

I forgot...

I loved the line dancing classes too! Well done Kriss!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

It sounds like you all loved Blaze as much as I did in October. So jealous that I couldn't get to this one. Stokie did say late on Saturday afternoon (after receiving a text from somebody there making me green) - maybe we could get in touch with Franck and go up!

However Scotland is just a little too far to go on the spur of the moment!

2 questions:

1 - When is the next one. I REALLY want to get to the next one so need as much advanced planning as possible.

2-How do I get the DVD?

Thanks.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Here's your one line summary of that class as far as I remember it

Accent the one in the music using one of: a finger point, adjusting height up or down, foot tap or striking a pose
    Spot on Rob!! I have been lucky enough to do this class a number of times and it really does just boil down to basically what RobD says!

However, as simple as the above sounds, the real power of its impact on how your dancing (Jive/WCS) will look is very visual. I think it couldve been shown on video as it was demonstrated from the stage.

In my opinion (from a WCS point of view) Once youve mastered what was contained in the Musicality, the Dance to the music and the sncopations workshops you'll never need another pattern. Sadly for me thats most probably the rest of my life.

I found it really good that these classes were mixed, it just goes to show

Blog Entries

Accent the one in the music using one of: a finger point, adjusting height up or down, foot tap or striking a pose
    Some people managed to combine both a 'double' finger point AND the pose....

...me thinks SpiceNEasy has been to the Kays catalogue school of modeling!

Here's your one line summary of that class as far as I remember it

I hope it wasn't my pose robd you know I have the paintent on it at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    In my opinion (from a WCS point of view) Once youve mastered what was contained in the Musicality, the Dance to the music and the sncopations workshops you'll never need another pattern. Sadly for me thats most probably the rest of my life.
    Got to say as well that Mario walks the walk as well as talks the talk - the freestyle demo he and Sam did on Sat night contained a lot of musical interpretation that I missed when watching live but caught when watching again on DVD. You could see his theory in action (tho' I am not sure he mentioned the body poppin' in class )

Had a lovely weekend.

The good
    - Meeting lots of forumites that I'd never met before. Not going to list them all here as too many! Lovely to see some that I don't see too often either. The friendly people are always a good reason to come and dance in Scotland!
    - Mario's classes - did almost all of them. Loved his teaching technique - use of imagery, his method of error correction, getting people to think and building of concepts and technique. The WCS/MJ divide worked well and meant there was something for everyone. We have come back with so much to work on!
    - Teachers on the dance floor - I saw a lot of the teachers mixing and socially dancing with everyone. (It was interesting to note that some of our NI dancers who had never seen any of the teachers before picked up the vibes of which they felt they could ask for a dance - who weren't just dancing with the experienced dancers.) Esp Mario and Sam who despite travelling, teaching lots of classes and privates, still came out to play in the evenings and mixed in with everyone. I found Mario so approachable to ask for dances, and he didn't make me feel that he was 'dancing down' to my level, it was just great fun.
    - The weather.
    - The cakes - and pmjd's truffles...
    - A forumite who asked our shyest guy for a dance - he was too shy to ask anyone he didn't know and only two ladies asked him all weekend. She made him look and feel good about the dance.
    - The other WCS dancers. I found everyone so helpful in offering feedback and tips. Really made a difference. I probably did as much WCS as MJ and had several fun hybrid dances too.
    - The music - esp Tiggerbabes and Trampy's in the second room on Sat and Sun nights. Good mix of chilled but with energy. Also a lot of stuff that seemed to work for both MJ and WCS.

The bad
    - Missing the syncopations class because my brain and body were simply too tired. I really wanted to do it.
    - Venues were hot but it was warm outside, can't really be helped and there was always water.
    - Missing Marc's set on the Fri night as just too tired.

I'll leave out the ugly as it was all hassles with the site and caravans.

I had a really good weekend, didn't have any bad dances and had a lot of fun, playful, creative ones.
    Last edited by Lynn; 13th-May-2008 at 02:06 PM.

First weekender for me and what an amazing time I had

After not being able to persuade any of my usual Ceroc buddies to venture along for the weekend I made the right decision to come by myself, it felt like the right decision straight away because as soon as I arrived on site everyone was really friendly and chatty .

Lowlights:-
    Being away from home all week beforehand due to work commitments meant I started packing for Blaze at 5pm on the Friday. I had seriously under estimated how much packing was required. Once I was happy that I had almost everything I set off for Blaze at 2pm on the Saturday.

Arriving that late certainly had it's disadvantages : the person I was sharing with had the information pack, accommodation key and had rightly taken the best room in the caravan.

After waiting 20 minutes to get a spare key cut at reception then waiting another 15 minutes to get my meal voucher card, I finally made it to the dining room to get the worse school dinner ever, where was Jamie Oliver when we need him??

Arriving late on the Saturday also meant I had missed most of the beginners classes that I had pencilled myself in for , that was annoying enough but not as annoying as the people who expressed disappointment that I hadn't been attending workshops…grumble…

The ceilidh was a great bit of Scottish fun to get the Saturday night off to a swinging start but wearing the kilt with all that heat was something else.

My only other little grumble was that sea of chairs and tables in the main room, by the time you had fought your way through all the chairs, tables and bags to ask someone to dance the track was half over.

Highlights:-
    Friendly faces on the reception desk

The budget caravan was actually rather nice.

Weather was amazing, did mean I skipped loads of classes and sat on the beach instead but definitely can't complain about that.

Mario's musicality class was amazing? Yes, no maybe??? Cylinders and pizza plate's.

Showcase was electric!

Freestyle events that lasted for ever and so many superb dancers to dance with, I didn't even manage to dance with half the people I wanted to. So thanks for all the fabulous dances I had and sorry if I missed you this time, I will try harder to make it happen the next time.

The after parties were great fun to, those gin and tonics were very refreshing and an excellent way to unwind after all those memorable dances.

Not to mention the cakes and cookies which were delicious, my favorite being the Black Forest gateau

Overall was so much fun and it was just a bonus meeting up with so many fellow forumites from all over the UK, hopefully it won't be to long before we stumble across each other again.

Best wishes, DD

Well the fun started on Thursday evening when DTS and Trouble arrived at my house and the enjoyment lasted all weekend. I learned a lot about how to conserve fuel and I think DTS you should be retitled the Green Warrior, but we won't mention the short cut via a city called Glasgow
    You guys are great fun and sharing with you and Blueshoes was one of the highlights for me, especially DTS's breakfasts ...well the diet starts again today.

A weekender with a difference, and I knew it would be going to Scotland and dancing with the Scots is always a really big treat for me. The standard of dancing was brilliant and I just wanted more and more. There was plenty of space to dance, and the workshops as mentioned earlier were not over crowded, and it was possible to see everything and ask questions if needed to.

Everyone was really friendly and nothing was too much trouble to ask for. We found the site staff were very efficient, there were some problems with the caravan but they did get sorted out quickly.

Lovely to meet new formurites, and ones that I have known for a while again but only get to see at SP. Being a smaller attended weekender it was possible to have a proper chat and get to know people properly.

Thank you to Lemon cake for the cakes, they really helped to keep to the energy levels up and were delicious.

Thank you to all the lovely men and women who danced with me, I have to mention a few,Blueshoes, DTS, Ducasi,The Whale, PretzelMeister, pmjd, Magic Hans, Robd, Keith [non forumite], Mcjester, Trouble and Little Monkey.

One thing I will take away is that I have started to appreciate WCS and now feel inspired to take it up, having resisted for so long!

Thank you to Franck and Sheena for a good weekender and I hope to make it to many more.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Smile Re: Blaze III – the aftermath

Having only been doing Ceroc for a few months and only just recently progressing into the Intermediates (I was a beginner when I took the plunge and booked) I was quite nervous about coming to Blaze. However, by the time i went to bed in the early hours of Saturday morning I couldn't imagine why. What a fabulous bunch of people!

I had such a great time and danced myself silly over the weekend with so many great and very kind partners who taught me a hugh amount and allowed me to try things out I wouldn't have had the nerve to at home. (Even if they didn't all know it).

The workshops were amazing. Amir took my 'follow' to a new dimension ( was I the only one who found it so intense in the Tango that I blushed), Paul F has inspired me to Cha cha and there is no "yes, no, maybe", about Mario ... it was all "yes, yes, yes".

I just know that my dancing has come on so much and I've come home with loads to think about and do. Most of all, as a new dancer, my confidence has soared. There are too many people to say thank you to individually, so thanks to everyone for such a great atmosphere and a truely fantastic time... Oh yes, and not forgetting all the invitations to go to Dundee, Edinburgh and south of the border!

Hope to see you soon!

This has been the cuddliest weekend I've ever been to, yes-no-maybe?? YES!!

I am a Cuddly Little Monkey. I like hugging people, and apparently people like hugging me. This is great. But this weekend, hugging and cuddling was just taken to a whole new level. People kept running after me for hugs, and I kept getting ambushed when walking down corridors/to my caravan/on the middle of the dance floor/ in the middle of dance classes.

Mario must have noticed this, and as I was sitting on the edge of the stage in one of his classes, waiting for my turn as I was currently between partners, he came up to me and said: 'You're the lady everyone cuddles all the time. I wanna see what this is all about!' and gave me a good cuddle in the middle of the class. Then for the rest of the weekend he kept coming back for more cuddles, and said 'I'm gonna take you home, lady!' and on Monday morning at the end of the dancing, he gave me a massive cuddle and said 'I'm never gonna let you go'. When I pointed out he might get a slightly sore back from cuddling me forever, due to our height difference, he replied: 'That's fine, I'll just pick you up and carry you with me forever!'

Apart from being a very cuddly guy, Mario's also an absolutely awesome teacher and dancer, and makes everyone feel at ease. He presents the material in bite-sized chunks that are easy to understand, and is also highly entertaining!! I made it to 6 of his classes, but had to miss out on one due to the need of eating.... Bugger!!

So, a summary:

YES

This is just the friendliest weekender around, and Franck spoils us westies rotten with the amazing American pro's he gets to teach for us. The classes were amazing!

I had the best caravan mates anyone could ask for (Isis and pmjd), and had lots of folk back to our LUXURY caravan for cakes, tea and a good old banter.

LOTS of my favourite dancers were there!

Trampy's last set on Monday morning. I didn't want it to end!!!

All my cuddles - and Mario!

The weather for most of the weekend.

NO

Not being allowed to bring cakes in..... Not good......

Getting cramps in the sole of my foot mid-class on Sunday. Ouch!! This kept returning for the rest of the day/night...

Too many people I didn't dance with or didn't get enough dances with (greedy Little Monkey that I am). Only got two with Paul F and one with Mario.... And none at all with Jamie or Sparkles!

MAYBE....

.......It's a good thing mikeyr didn't wear his pirate's costume? Particularly after describing what he wanted to do with the hoop earrings.....

....... The temperature in the venue wasn't the best, but didn't stop me from having a great time!

....... The floor in the blues room wasn't as fast as I'd have liked it to be, but the staff kept talcing it, which made it better.

....... I need to get spare feet for next time so I can last a bit longer!

Oh, and mikeyr is a budgie......

The Dashing Moderator

I had a really lovely time at Blaze.

Many Thanks to Franck and Sheena and all who were involved in running it.

Best bit for me (and why I came) was the opportunity to dance with some lovely dancers, to fab music. Plus being able to catch up with old friends and meet some new people.

I'm afraid I only did a couple of workshops on Saturday- Franck's workshop on Stops and Preps (which included a sneak preview of the "Find the One" principle) and Mario's workshop where he taught WCS and MJers simultaneously.

I think it's a shame that the Boudoir wasn't going more of the time. Compared to some of the Ceroc "Boudoirs", there's actually a fair amount of space, and there was a definite point on Sunday afternoon where I just wanted to dance rather than do workshops, and it was a bit frustrating that I couldn't. I got the impression on Sunday that there was a lack of "Sack the DJ" volunteers - was this right?

Being in caravans meant that the heavy-footed seagulls were particularly audible as they were clomping around on my roof. On the other hand, it was really lovely to walk back through the dawn chorus at 4:30am on Sunday morning as it started to get light.

I never found any of the much-hyped cake, either.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I think it's a shame that the Boudoir wasn't going more of the time. Compared to some of the Ceroc "Boudoirs", there's actually a fair amount of space, and there was a definite point on Sunday afternoon where I just wanted to dance rather than do workshops, and it was a bit frustrating that I couldn't. I got the impression on Sunday that there was a lack of "Sack the DJ" volunteers - was this right?
    I was glad in a way there wasn't any daytime dancing esp on the Sunday as I wanted to do Mario's classes and needed to rest in between them. Part of the problem may have been simply that a fair few of the folk who you'd normally find in the Boudoir were in Mario's classes later on the Sun afternoon.

I don't normally do many workshops at weekenders, partly cos the classes are so big and partly as it tends to be stuff I've heard before - limited advantages of doing moves based classes as a follower. One great thing about Blaze is that the smaller size means its much easier to see (even for a tiny person like me!) and that there are a lot of technique classes. So I don't mind so much about the daytime dancing, esp when still getting a good few hours freestyling at night, might have been different if music ended at 2am, but going on till 4am added 6 hours freestyling to the weekend.

Now then, now then, now then. What is it that I can be saying?

One of the best weekends that Trouble and I have been on.

You lovely Scottish people can dance, make no mistake about that, at times I felt like a clumsy beginner compared to some of the dancers there.

Super to meet everyone for the 1st time. Trouble, Ruby Red, Blue Shoes and I were treated like long lost friends and for the warmth and affection I thank all of you.

Another lovey, gushing post, but hey I call them as I see them.

And a big thanks to all of the men who led me this weekend, stunning leads and stunning dances all weekend. I did not have 1 bad dance all weekend.

Franck and Sheena....You is both lovely.

Cheers everyone DTS Dave XXX XXX

Now that I've recovered, sort of, it's time to say without a doubt the best Blaze yet!

We had a great time as always, but with well over forty of us down from Inverness how could it not be?

We were ultra spoiled with a brand spanking new caravan, but the walk to and from the venue seemed to get longer every night as our feet got more sore!

Although we did fewer workshops than at previous Blazes they were all really good. Mario is an exceptionally good teacher, and the spins and pivots was definately something to practice. Marc and Rachel's classes were, as always, spot on. I could go to a week of their classes and not get bored, and the steal dancing was good fun, and meant that I actually got to dance with quite a few people I wouldn't have otherwise, albeit for thirty seconds or so. Double trouble was good too, although us boys aren't so good at the multi-tasking...

We really enjoyed participating in the cabaret, and very gratifying for people to say afterwards how good it looked after only a couple of hours practice, but a shame it's not on the DVD. Apparently the quality wasn't very good or something, but I'd love to see it, if anyone recorded it.

Watching the wcs leaders on saturday night was really inspirational, especially Mario, Mikeyr & Robd (sorry for bumping into you during freestyle...).

I always have a hitlist of people I'd like to dance with and never manage to get through it - still nervous about asking certain people to dance, especially the wcs dancers - but had fab dances with Little Monkey, Claire (don't know if she's on forum - had a great dance on fri night), Drathzel, who I've waited three Blazes to ask to dance, and had two dances on the trot with on sunday and who made me come off the floor grinning like a loon!, Trouble also on sun night who asked me to dance and was so fun to dance with, Fiona (of course, but always lovely...), Noel, for an....interesting....dance, all the fab Inverness dancers, and lots and lots of others in the blues room whose names I didn't get, sorry.

Only one minor grumble, which was Mario's first class being at six on friday, while we were stuck in traffic, but our fault for not leaving early enough.

Apart from that, lovely weather, lovely people, great music (Mario esp playing some really interesting disco/boogie stuff), great dancing.

So, when's Blaze IV?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    .......It's a good thing mikeyr didn't wear his pirate's costume? Particularly after describing what he wanted to do with the hoop earrings.....
    Wanted to do? He did do it!
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your taste) not in public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    Mario must have noticed this, and as I was sitting on the edge of the stage in one of his classes, waiting for my turn as I was currently between partners, he came up to me and said: 'You're the lady everyone cuddles all the time. I wanna see what this is all about!' and gave me a good cuddle in the middle of the class. Then for the rest of the weekend he kept coming back for more cuddles, and said 'I'm gonna take you home, lady!' and on Monday morning at the end of the dancing, he gave me a massive cuddle and said 'I'm never gonna let you go'. When I pointed out he might get a slightly sore back from cuddling me forever, due to our height difference, he replied: 'That's fine, I'll just pick you up and carry you with me forever!'
    I don't think there was one lady untouched by his compliments. I did suggest to Mario that he and Franck could do a new workshop together, 'Smooth Operator', a class on how to charm the ladies.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Big thanks to Franck and Sheena - you guys do an amazing amount of work for Blaze

It was so great to meet folk like Trouble, DTS, Blueshoes, Rubyred, etc, etc etc......DTS - you made me blush!!! Blueshoes, I hope our dance was okay for you 'cos I loved it! To the folks that I've come to consider as friends - PMJD, every dance a winner! LittleMonkey - we cuddle you 'cos we love you to bits and I wish I could dance like you. Dave the Whale and Debs - you know what I think of you guys and its all good... can I have the Morgan's spiced now?? BlackIsleBoy, Wuzzle et al - thanks for dancing with me guys its always great....Nightowl, thanks for fixing with me for the dips and drops - I've always wanted to swoop face first to the floor!

Classes wise..

Amir - OMG he called me "baby" - 'nuff said

Mario's musicality class was fabulous, very well put and as a musician/singer, I really got what he was saying about phrasing - "talk to me Goose"! And how smooth is that man?? "might not get another chance to make her smile"??? The guy should give lessons in charm .... he's just sooooo lovely!

Clint and Emma's slides and glides - my thigh muscles have recovered and I'm still grinning about that class - Go Aussie!!

Roll on Blaze IV - can't wait......

ps - gonna stop being gushing now...it's totally out of character...

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post

I played a set from 5pm to 6 pm in the boudoir!!! We started off with about 20 dancers as well, but people got hungry and wanted to do classes so i only played for the hour.

Thread Information