Thread: Ultra portable laptop for surfing

Ultra portable laptop for surfing

Hi

While I'm hanging out in Geeks corner, can anyone help?

I am looking for an ultra portable (ie can put in (big) pocket) device for surfing. What I want is to be able to:

- connect via Wifi easily
    - if no Wifi, then I want to be able to 3G....it
    - to do this in the UK and Spain and potentially other countries
    - a reasonably easy to use keyboard

So far the only brand I have encountered, which is near to what I want, is Asus and their eee PC range - with 7" screen. I'm not sure of the limitations (or benefits of Linux (versus Windows XP - but from the reviews it seems fine....- and anyway it is just for surfing really)

(See.....Amazon.co.uk: ASUS EEE PC 2GS-W CELM-900M 2GB 512MB 7IN NOOPT LINUX: Electronics & Photo)

Are there any other options/ideas you could recommend - especially from personal experience..........

Thx

Blog Entries

Re: Ultra portable laptop for surfing

Pocket Surfer2 looks pretty good.
    It works by gprs rather than hotspots so you can switch on and surf straight away.
    The thing that looks really good is that you buy the device and you get 20 hours a month surfing free. £5.99 a month gets you unlimited access.
    No personal experience, but if I wanted one I'd be seriously considering this.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Mac air doesn't look bad!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I am looking for an ultra portable (ie can put in (big) pocket) device for surfing. What I want is to be able to:

- connect via Wifi easily
    - if no Wifi, then I want to be able to 3G....it
    - to do this in the UK and Spain and potentially other countries
    - a reasonably easy to use keyboard

So far the only brand I have encountered, which is near to what I want, is Asus and their eee PC range [...]
    I've played with an Asus eee for a little while. It's nice, but for what you're looking for, a iPhone or iPod Touch might be just what you need.

It looks like the 3G iPhone is coming out quite soon. I can't wait!!!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

My HTC TYTN II does what I want it to..

keyboard, 3g,HSDPA, camera ,wifi, gps, mp3 player, built in teleporter and VERY portable

(ok so it doesn't actually have a teleporter.. I fibbed about that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post

keyboard, 3g,HSDPA, camera ,wifi, gps, mp3 player, built in teleporter and VERY portable

Or wait for the T-Mobile MDA Vario IV (an HTC Diamond with Qwerty keyboard and, presumably, Opera Mobile 9.5 )...

Cool Re: Ultra portable laptop for surfing

On many of the new Vodafone tariffs you get 500MB of mobile Internet and email allowance a month bundled in for free (usable 24/7 not just off-peak). I use my Nokia N95 8GB for checking out the Internet and the speeds are perfectly usable.

If you get something like the Samsung F-700 you'll even get a full QWERTY keyboard and a portrait aspect screen (you can also use it as a camera and.... ohhh yeah, a phone)

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post

what side is the sink on? I'm right handed.

You might consider it requirement creep, but it might be wise to get something that can play DVDs directly. Copying from other machines (when you can) is a pig.

I have the 4gb Asus eeepc which I just took on a 5 week road-trip round the USA with me - it was perfect! Really good for the price (I had it on order for aaaaaages, but it was sold out everywhere, and I actually ended up buying it at Heathrow airport for cheaper then I had seen it everywhere else!)

Ultra portable, very useful! The keys are pretty small, so not too great for long IMing, but otherwise brilliant!

I would recommend it, but I've also heard great things about the itouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post
    I have the 4gb Asus eeepc which I just took on a 5 week road-trip round the USA with me - it was perfect! Really good for the price (I had it on order for aaaaaages, but it was sold out everywhere, and I actually ended up buying it at Heathrow airport for cheaper then I had seen it everywhere else!)

Ultra portable, very useful! The keys are pretty small, so not too great for long IMing, but otherwise brilliant!

I would recommend it, but I've also heard great things about the itouch!
    Thx for all the comments guys (and gals).

Hiya Mel - yeah - I've been looking at Asus more and more - so interested to hear your comments. Having been in Taiwan the last few weeks I've seen quite a few of them about. The price over there is a lot cheaper - but of course no point in buying there 'cos the keyboard is different!

I found a great web site jkkmobile - where the guy JKK (from Finland) basically modifies the machines - he put a 3G modem into the ASUS - so as he says - now it is totally portable/mobile - wherever he goes. No WiFi? Just use the 3G. He also modified it so it has a touch screen.....which I think they may do in the future anyway.

And I can see from his blog that now the Asus eee 900 model (slightly bigger screen) is being sold with a 3G bundle. Just what I need - I guess it can't be long before it hits the rest of Europe. Great!

Did you look at their other models (in leather, pink etc....)?

Not cheap (around £600), but this HTC Advantage looks like another option.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Thx for all the comments guys (and gals).

Hiya Mel - yeah - I've been looking at Asus more and more - so interested to hear your comments. Having been in Taiwan the last few weeks I've seen quite a few of them about. The price over there is a lot cheaper - but of course no point in buying there 'cos the keyboard is different!

I found a great web site jkkmobile - where the guy JKK (from Finland) basically modifies the machines - he put a 3G modem into the ASUS - so as he says - now it is totally portable/mobile - wherever he goes. No WiFi? Just use the 3G. He also modified it so it has a touch screen.....which I think they may do in the future anyway.

And I can see from his blog that now the Asus eee 900 model (slightly bigger screen) is being sold with a 3G bundle. Just what I need - I guess it can't be long before it hits the rest of Europe. Great!

Did you look at their other models (in leather, pink etc....)?
    I have the pink one! It was wifi and built in webcam too, which is cool.

I looooooooove the idea of a touch screen! The newer, slightly bigger model could be good, as the speakers take up quite a bit of screen space on mine...still love it though!

Definitely handy, as I said before, great for travelling, and it fits in my handbag!!!

You may be interested in this comparison - Asus Eee PC versus the CloudBook - though at the moment the Cloudbook would have to be imported from the US.

This may be more practical though - the MSI Wind U100 is scheduled to go on sale in the UK in 3 weeks time.

Well this is my first post with a new MSI Wind U100 in white (well off-white). It has a nice feel to it - except getting used to navigation with the pad is taking a while - as I have been used to a 'nipple' for the last few years.

Still - so far so good..........it seems to be a quality product - running Windows XP......pre-installed.

The screen is very nice.

From the reviews it seemed that apart from battery life it was ther best of the bunch. (I got an extra battery).

Thread Information