Thread: Talc or No Talc

Commercial Operator

Talc or No Talc

A discussion point that’s had many debates but there are two main sides that still cause concern.

The Organiser for the venue.
    The Dancer, regular or visitor.

The Organiser has to offer a decent dancing floor that’s meets middle ground for the dancer. Middle ground is suitable for most dancers as different dancers who wear different types of shoe soles can affect the way they dance and on any given floor. The organiser has to ensure safety and if there is a problem with the floor, have it addressed. It could mean no longer using that hall, cancelling a night or going for a safe quick fix solution.

This time of year when we go into summer, humid conditions occur and these do affect the floor surface from week to week. Dampness makes a floor slow and sticky. Dry and Air con venues can have a fast floor one week without anything being done to the floor, And totally different the following week.

The Dancer is really only interested in dancing on a good floor, then every thing else is a bonus it would appear from previous discussions?

NOW what’s your view to this?

The Organiser has made a statement that that NO TALC is be used in the venue as the venue owners has stated that in the hire agreement. This is made noticeable by a poster sign on the entrance as dancers come in. In stated in newsletters and made clearly in announcements, that should it be put on the floor, the person doing so will be liable should anyone fall over as a result of this action, i.e. them using talc. It could happen that night; it could in fact be a different hirer the following night when the residue was not fully cleaned away. Regulars know but how do you inform/educate visitors of the risks who dont see the notices, hear the announcements etcs

The Organiser has a duty to Health & Safety and carries a responsibility to their Public Liability Insurance cover, one claim could result in that club unable to secure further insurance. There is a good dance floor in the venue.

The Dancer just wants to dance, some aren't bothered for safety of others, just that they in their opinion some will use talc, as they can dance better rather than have a 2nd pair of shoes as an alternative. So they put down talc, but someone falls over because of it! Should dancers get their own insurance to dance (don’t know if any one offers it) to cover all risks but one policy exclusion would be "no use of talc"because of its high risk factor! People have told me most dancers who put down talc are mainly arrogant dancers? They also ignore all notices and announcements! Is there any truth in this?

Most clubs have a high % of regulars who conform but it mainly seems that visitors to the club are the ones that this problem mainly reflects back too. How would a dancer like being sued for an accident? Are they bothered?

I’m sure a few will be able to discuss the subject hotly.

And as for new visitors (good male dancers) doing drops on people they have never danced with before and having a strop when the female refuses, that consideration is only for themselves that they can do drops on total strangers without checking they can or not, will or wont, never changes it seems too!

What are your thoughts as I have had the above discussions more and more in last month as the weather comes warmer too.

Re: Talc or No Talc

I find it really hard to dance on a floor covered in talc, so I would say no talc, better shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Little 'un View Post
    I find it really hard to dance on a floor covered in talc, so I would say no talc, better shoes?
    Depends on the floor. At the Greenwich Christmas Ball the organisers were covering the floor in talc as it was impossible to dance otherwise - you stuck to the floor just walking across it. It was such a shame as the venue was otherwise lovely, and the floor had apparently been OK when it was checked out.

As for the original question, if the signs say no talc, then there should be no talc. As I'm sure that Mr Shnikov will confirm, ignorance of the law (or signs in this case) is no defence...

If an organiser is forced to put up signs and instruct people not to use talc, but some still feel they need to use it, it suggests that the problem may lie, not in the signs or the people using the talc, but in the organiser's choice of venue.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The more talc the better... i go 2 have fun when i dance local, and i find spinning moves fun! Completly ruins my night whn i cant spin! and even my partner cant. i always take my own talk with me BUT i put in on my shoe souls not the floor as its not far if ppl cant dance on talc. But i think the organisers shud make sure floor is good.... jive has ALOT of turns involved Good organisers carry talc with them as wel!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    If an organiser is forced to put up signs and instruct people not to use talc, but some still feel they need to use it, it suggests that the problem may lie, not in the signs or the people using the talc, but in the organiser's choice of venue.
    Why with an organsior choice of venue?

Some dancers will still do it on a fast floor regardless, for them its talc talc and more talc.

The majority conform but some are just bloody minded I have found.

Maybe the dancers who feel the venue needs it should not attend that venue when the organisor states it cant be used on safety grounds. Why should they over rule a venue organsior, do they lack respect for others and their judgements?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Why with an organsior choice of venue?

Some dancers will still do it on a fast floor regardless, for them its talc talc and more talc.

The majority conform but some are just bloody minded I have found.

Maybe the dancers who feel the venue needs it should not attend that venue when the organisor states it cant be used on safety grounds. Why should they over rule a venue organsior, do they lack respect for others and their judgements?
    I suspect that what Ducasi means is that if the floor is that bad, then the venue organiser should find a new venue with a decent dance floor, or persuade the venue to sort the floor out (which is exactly what Jammy did with Chiswick).

As for the bloody-minded dancers who persist in using talc, yes they do lack respect for others. They are putting your business at risk - threaten to ban them. And if they continue, then carry out your threat. That way they will have to find another venue.

It might not be pleasent to do, but it's better than someone having an accident, and you being liable because you didn't enforce the rules. If the person decides to sue for the injury, you could lose a lot more than just your business.

Excepting the bloody-minded, reasonable people will not put talc onto a reasonable floor.

If I had to dance on a slow or sticky floor at all often, then I would probably use talc, as well as asking and hoping for the organiser to find a venue with a decent floor.

If I had to dance on a bad floor and I wasn't able to use talc, I'd try to find classes/events run by someone who cares about the quality of their venues.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Excepting the bloody-minded, reasonable people will not put talc onto a reasonable floor.

If I had to dance on a slow or sticky floor at all often, then I would probably use talc, as well as asking and hoping for the organiser to find a venue with a decent floor.

If I had to dance on a bad floor and I wasn't able to use talc, I'd try to find classes/events run by someone who cares about the quality of their venues.

Yes onus is on organisors to find decent venues with dance floors and I agree with quality issue you raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I suspect that what Ducasi means is that if the floor is that bad, then the venue organiser should find a new venue with a decent dance floor, or persuade the venue to sort the floor out (which is exactly what Jammy did with Chiswick).
    He did and the floors passed my inspection last month.

BTW no talc is allowed at Chiswick, but it's not needed anyway.

I suffered an injury at Ealing last October from a sticky floor and have not been back since.

The floor was resealed just before Xmas, but it went wrong.

It is going to be done again soon apparently.

I hope so as it's a lovely sprung floor.

Thread Information