Thread: Stanmore - a report

Stanmore - a report

Went to Stanmore on Sunday - which is a new venue run by Le Roc (or more specifically, LoveLeRoc). Of course, most of the important dancers in the world were elsewhere - so I did wonder how it would be.

1. Finding it
    Is fine with SatNav and the balloons and signs helped to get to the building. The location is North West London.

2. Dance floor/location
    Is very good indeed. Nice shape (square-ish) with stage up front and raked seating to the rear. Plenty of space.

3. Price
    Well arriving at 7.45 we (all 6 of us experienced dancers) were charged £8. If we had left it another 20 minutes or so, it would have been.....free. (Yes £0). Still - no matter - you win some you lose some - no big deal - and if it helped the organisation to get going , then fine.

4. Drinks
    Table set up offering soft drinks. £1 (?) for a small bottle of water. Maybe best to byo here.

5. Lesson
    Well the remainder of the Beginners lesson was fine - led by Brian with the excellent Missy D as demonstrator. Couple of points: (i) I prefer when the teachers tell you how to do a move rather than what can go wrong and what not to do. (ii) the Yo-yo could have added the style point for the woman to put their arm on the shoulder of the lead. Personal preference again for me - I like it when that happens.

6. Music
    Overall - very good. Not sure who the DJ was - think I've seen him before. Consistently enjoyable, danceable and varied.

7. Dancing
    It was an interesting mix of very good experienced dancers - and then total beginners. Not much in between. So that was interesting. Oh - and getting a couple of dances with Missy D (Dawn) was worth the entrance fee.

Overall a good location and a very enjoyable evening. I think it is free for the rest of May on a Sunday.

PS - Not sure how they got my email address.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Stanmore - a report

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    6. Music
    Not sure who the DJ was - think I've seen him before.
    Its BobGadget, he used to DJ at Ashtons
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

PS - Not sure how they got my email address.
    I keep getting emails from them too.

Sounds like it might be worth going to.

Blog Entries

Went to Stanmore on Sunday...
    I've been meaning to go for ages - but keep getting scuppered.

The first time was only a couple of weeks ago. I think I found the venue - but it looked empty. I still don't know whether it was actually on. Brian swears it was, and that I didn't look hard enough. But since then he's apparently increased the signage (which probably means the balloons. )

I was going to go last Sunday - but I managed to fall & badly twist my ankle that afternoon - so decided to rest it. It still hurts now. *pout*

And yes - it was free after the lesson for anyone with a membership card of any other organisation. However, I wouldn't mind attending the class, as (at least from the e-mails) it sounds like they're taking a sligtly different approach with the teaching. It sounds like they address technique, as in a previous e-mail it said:
    Last week we concentrated on the tension between men and women ..no not that sort.

Men need to lead but can only do so when they feel the tension (resistance) from their partner. Not enough and its like dancing with a piece of rope and they lose interest, too much and it feels like the lady is taking over. Then the man either pushes back too hard or just gives up.

And of course both partners lose out just like real life!
    However - they are Federation.... Ho hum.

Is anyone going this week?

BTW Isn't the standard price of water at cerocLondon venues £1? Sounds like market rates to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I keep getting emails from them too.

Sounds like it might be worth going to.
    Nice report from JiveLad, and thanks to him for that

It's not been going long and it's a great venue.

At present, till exams are out of the way we are confined to the Music room.
    Still plenty of space to swing your cats, but not as nice as the large hall.

Both halls are either side of a lake, and that's nice on these barmy warm nights to take a breather if you need, and watch the Herons feeding ! ! !

As with so many new venues when they start, the numbers can be low, that is why there is an offer of FREE entry, at least till the end of May, for anybody with another organisations membeship card, or copy of the email they might get.

Freestyle is from about 8 - 8.15, till the end of the evening, 10pm.

One of very few places to dance on a Sunday night, and I am enjoying having the freedom, at last, to play the tunes I feel the dancers want ! ! !

As with everybody who has taken the plunge (not in the lake ! ! ) they have found the venue very friendly.

Afterwards there is a trip to a local restaurant, Jonathans in Stanmore, for the most delicious apple crumble, made fresh so you have o be patient, and great coffees & chocolate.

It would be good to see some old faces from when I worked for another organisaton ! ! !

Hope to see you soon, and thanks again on behalf of Brian for JiveLads report.
    BG

Is the venue open this Sunday 18th May?

No email this week from Brian Ross.

Blog Entries

There's no Stanmore class this evening. They are back next week.

Blog Entries

I'm cursed!

Whenever I find a local class I like, they seem to close. Tonight's the last Stanmore class.

I've just checked my e-mail to find the lastest circular from Brian:
    BAD NEWS ....and WORSE NEWS!
    Would you like the bad news? or the worse news... OK the bad news is ......I have just been advised that North London Collegiate are not going to continue hiring out the hall to us or any other outsiders.
    The worse news is.... I am re-thinking our format and will be coming back with ideas for the future. Suggestions welcome !
    In the meantime our last night at this venue will be this Sunday the 6th of July...lets make it a good one!
    Ah well. Hopefully he'll find another local venue. I'd better make it tonight!

Thread Information