Thread: Competition Music

Competition Music

There are a couple of spin offs similar to this title - but I think there is a need to know what we think should be played rather than comment on what has been played.

Personally I think challenging music (what-ever that may be) should be used in the Advance and Open level

Your Opinions Please - what and where :-

• Lucky Dip
    • Intermediate
    • Advance
    • Open

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

Re: Competition Music

I'd like to see how some advanced dancers cope with Grieg's "In The Hall of The Mountain King" ... but then I'm evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'd like to see how some advanced dancers cope with Grieg's "In The Hall of The Mountain King" ... but then I'm evil.
    Look up on Youtube and check out the rendition which is put up by Projectunborn .......funky.....definitely get the ceroc bounce going!!!!
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Personally i find that music that has a constant club beat isnt neccesarily challenging just boring and thats how i found the music on the day of the champs.... (lucky dip had good music)

I would prefer to see something like:

4 minutes by Madonna and JT - Fairly new, good fun to dance to a few breaks and hesitations great to spot musical interpretation.....

Fuoco Nel Fuoco - Eros Ramezotti - Or however you spell it, really nice dance track, latin and open to interpretation

Anything by Micheal Buble - Stuck in the middle with you is good, lots of people know his stuff and everyone likes it.

If all the music that is played is the same sort i think that people will not perform as well as they could, if you want to challenge people, play them something that they don't know.... Maybe a latin track that no one knows?

NOT ALL CLUBBY S!*" Sorry but i am 18 and i don't like it so i doubt many others do, the reason i state this is because alot of remixes etc are generally aimed at the younger generations and are played in clubs..... *If you disagree thats fine by me i am just stating that some tracks should be left alone and not ruined by having a constant club beat put over the top of them!*

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Look up on Youtube and check out the rendition which is put up by Projectunborn .......funky.....definitely get the ceroc bounce going!!!!

That was ... horrible. I feel .... unclean. I need to go wash my ears out now.

Now... for a real dance challenge, try messing around to this....

[EDIT]No - I'm not seriously suggesting it as an MJ competition track. But it's sublime for dancing to[/EDIT]

Commercial Operator

re: Comp music.

I actually thought the tracks used in the open were really appropriate: each one a challenge, and each one used to produce the best from the dancers. My only quibble is that the 3 tracks used in the first round were all different styles: all challenging, but different. So....... if U had a latin feel to ur dancing, but were stuck in the third heat which was bluesy swing, U were screwed... If ur style was bluesy, but got the first heat U were scrambling amongst a latin tune.

We have a bluesy swing feel, got a bluesy swing track and STILL didn't get through but let's not go there...

Please dont shoot me - but i kinda loved every track we had to dance to in the intermediates

I love upbeat latin and also we were lucky enought to get Dee Dee Bridgewater so i was in my element cos i love that song

I think I can remember (or perhaps it was just heat and dehydration) 'Candyman' being played at one point, in which case it was definitely a track designed to test competitors.

I didn't like the music in the Intermediates, but that's just a personal preference. In fairness, we got a couple of Latin tracks which is what my partner and I enjoy dancing to; it was just the other Euro-disco ones which I found annoying and uninspiring.

I would have preferred a few bluesy songs, but the judges make the competition, so they know what they're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post

That was ... horrible. I feel .... unclean. I need to go wash my ears out now.

]

if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post

Meanie

Thread Information