Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the better dancer?

Who makes the better dancer?

Forgive me if a similar thread already exists.

I have my own opinion as to what a good dancer is, I was interested in what others thought.

Is a good dancer someone who can do tricky moves but perform them badly?

A couple where the follow is obviously being pulled around by the lead to get loads of moves in.

or a couple that look fluid together, with well executed moves but not overly complicated necessarily. Both enjoying the dance and both looking like one?

I've been horrified at some results because it appears dancers do quite well in competitions just by doing fancy but poorly executed moves that look a struggle to do. Very unpolished.

I dont think by doing well executed beginner moves entitles you to win though.

I hope someone kinda gets my point! lol

Commercial Operator

Re: Who makes the better dancer?

Quote Originally Posted by wigglebum View Post
    Is a good dancer someone who can do tricky moves but perform them badly?

A couple where the follow is obviously being pulled around by the lead to get loads of moves in.

or a couple that look fluid together, with well executed moves but not overly complicated necessarily. Both enjoying the dance and both looking like one?
    Is this a trick question?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Is this a trick question?
    Surely there must be a hidden aganda!!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Surely there must be a hidden aganda!!!
    But what in the world could it be?
    (cue drumroll)

Quote Originally Posted by wigglebum View Post
    Predictability = Crappability in my book (although it discribes me well).

If you look like/are a fixed couple then you ain't gonna be a "better dancer" IMHO.

lol

No hidden agenda, just curious. I didnt compete this year, so, its not as if I'm bitter or anything. hehe

It may seem from what I said earlier an obvious answer. But. If it was the case then there wouldnt be the dodgy amount of dancers getting through the rounds. lol Again just my humble opinion.

and I agree that for competitions having a couple that can surprise you with good, complicated moves is great providing they are well done.

Surely doing complicated stuff badly shows that you arent the great dancer that you think you might be

Hope Im making sense.

The thread title 'Who makes the better dancer' seems different to the question being asked which is 'what makes a good dancer' and the answers I would guess are quite different. They will also differ according to whether you are referring to social or competition dancing though the OP seems to concentrate on competition dancing.

I think that in any competition you will see complicated (and sometimes not so complicated) moves executed poorly - competitiors know that they need to catch the eye of the judges and stand out from the crowd. I find the airsteps category at the Champs terrifying to watch as I think the women are gonna land on their heads every time they are put up there

I know I am a popular social dancer and I know this is because I am a 'safe' dancer - It's nice and smooth if monotonously even paced but I do not really challenge the followers (nor hurt them). This is a good thing IMO for social dancing but not so good for competition as it means I am less likely to come to the judges attention.

The art of good dancing is to know how to do simple moves very well and showing the most respect for your partner and those around you. If both partners can work well together, then the joy of good dancing will prevail.

best
    johnnyman

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    If you look like/are a fixed couple then you ain't gonna be a "better dancer" IMHO.
    They are very different things. Being a fixed couple often trains people how to dance with each other without actually learning anything about how to connect with another dancer or lead/follow well. Many of the top dancers, on the other hand, can "look" like a fixed couple (in terms of how well they connect) without ever having danced with their partner before.

what's competitions got in common with makes the better dancer?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    Ich spreche keine Deutsch.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I know I am a popular social dancer and I know this is because I am a 'safe' dancer - It's nice and smooth if monotonously even paced but I do not really challenge the followers (nor hurt them). This is a good thing IMO for social dancing but not so good for competition as it means I am less likely to come to the judges attention.
    You certainly are a popular social dancer and dancing with you is always a delight...whenever I can get to dance with you that is!!

IMO you can't social dance in the same way that you would whilst doing a competition, the two are different. The latter demands more drama and performance which would look out of synch with your partner, and in some ways you may end up dancing with someone who is not including you in the dance, but just dancing for themselves. After all dancing is about leading and following and having a three minute relationship on the dance floor with the music.

For me a 'better dancer' doesn't have to do complicated moves or even do a lot of moves, but connection, musciality and attitude is important. I like smoothness,and for the partner to let me know that they are enjoying themselves, smiling is good.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    four foot one

My opinion is - in a competition you dance "outward"* more, for an audience and judges - with a normal social dance you have no such consideration (unless you are some weird show off like David James (where IS he?) )

* outward = "presenting yourself and partner more","more big moves", "less close holds", "more cleavage"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    like David James (where IS he?) )
    Reinventing himself in TOP

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I have been told I, too, am a popular social dancer, yet I am not "safe" in dance terms. I dance musically with passion, soul, invented moves, changes in speed and direction, spontaneity and with an unpredictable streak wider than the Bering Strait. Yet, I haven't ripped anyone's arms off, yet... Go figure

Perhaps, it's not what we do but how we do it that makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post

IMO you can't social dance in the same way that you would whilst doing a competition, the two are different.
    Totally agree but some dancers cannot lose the 'look how good am I attitude' on the regular dance floor so does that make them a better dancer or just a show dancer?

IMHO I think the best dancers are the 'social' dancers that have a good ear for music, a great feel of musicality and just the pure love and enjoyment of dancing...........and a smile!

Cool Re: Who makes the better dancer?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    I have been told I, too, am a popular social dancer, yet I am not "safe" in dance terms. I dance musically with passion, soul, invented moves, changes in speed and direction, spontaneity and with an unpredictable streak wider than the Bering Strait. Yet, I haven't ripped anyone's arms off, yet... Go figure

Perhaps, it's not what we do but how we do it that makes the difference.
    Your dance ethos is so similar to mine CJ

To misquote you slightly if I may: Perhaps, it's not what we do but why we do it that makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    Totally agree but some dancers cannot lose the 'look how good am I attitude' on the regular dance floor so does that make them a better dancer or just a show dancer?

IMHO I think the best dancers are the 'social' dancers that have a good ear for music, a great feel of musicality and just the pure love and enjoyment of dancing...........and a smile!

Is that where hot-shottery starts?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    What is this meant to bring to the discussion other than "By the way I'm fantastic"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post

Hi Jay Jay,

In the interests of my development I will hand you a short questionnaire next time we meet to find out my good and bad. I think I can safely put a tick in the 'smile' box though !

Maybe see you Sunday at Berko.

Marcus
    x

Thread Information