• Fri - Focus Freestyle (Ceroc Central) - Rugby

2 4.08%
  • Fri - Mojive Jukebox freestyle (requests) - Minstead

0 0%
  • Fri - LeRoc Surrey Friday Freestyle- Ashtead

1 2.04%
  • Sat - Dance Yourself Dizzy freestyle - Totton

0 0%
  • Sat - Mojive Progression (Advanced/musicality freestyle, Viktor Andeke lesson) - West Quay

1 2.04%
  • Sat - WCS workshop (afternoon, Cat Wiles/Rachel Martino) - West Quay

0 0%
  • Sat - Ceroc Nantwich - Nantwich

2 4.08%
  • Sat - Pulse - Bulwell (Nottingham)

2 4.08%
  • Sat - Dance Social at the Bowls (Crosland Music)- Rugby

1 2.04%
  • sat.- Hammersmith, London

6 12.24%
  • Sat - Charity MJ/WCS freestyle (South Coast Dance ) - Hastings

1 2.04%
  • Sun - Berko

4 8.16%
  • Friday - Ashton's - London

5 10.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who's going where? Weekend 9th/10th/11th May 2008

Re: Who's going where? Weekend 9th/10th/11th May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Focus Freestyle in Rugby last night was dire! What a disappointment.

For a kick off, the class started at 8:30 - not at 8:00 as advertised. I know that's been the subject of another thread so I won't bang on about that here.

A 150 mile round trip to dance in an oven to a top DJ being forced to play cr@p most of the night. The frustration on OXOs face was painful to see. Such a pity to waste the talent of such an amazing DJ
    Why was he forced?

For once Stokie, I am going to have to mainly disagree with you. Yes it was certainly very hot last night at Rugby, but given the weather the same would have been true of most other venues unless they had good air conditioning (and very few do). The Rugby venue is in my experience generally not at all bad for temperature - not having many windows helps as does the fact that you can open all the fire doors. Last night just happened to be exceptionally humid with absolutely no breeze.

It is also true that the class did start a bit later than advertised and I understand why this can be annoying. We arrived at about 8:20 pm but had no intention of doing the class because of the heat. I did however watch the class and I have to say I thought Kelly did very well in that the class routine was something a bit different based around sabotage moves and she rattled through it quickly. Full marks also to Kelly for staying on long after the class finished and dancing with lots of the punters.

I cannot agree that the music was Cr*p. For me OXO did a very good job of standing in for Marc. This isn't a two room event with a blues room so the music is inevitably going to reflect that. The only time I had a quibble with the music was when OXO played a group of relatively fast tracks quite late in the evening (after 11:00 pm.) when one might have anticipated that he would be generally slowing things down. I also think Marc deserves credit for making a special effort to get OXO to cover this event and if this is what he can do on a bad night I would like to see him on a good one. I honestly did not think that the general mix and balance of tracks was really any different from that which Marc typically plays at these events.

I am really sorry that you didn't have a great night and I know how that feels. I went to the two room event at St Neots (an hour and a half away from home) last week which included a blues room run by Marc and Rachel. In theory it should have been great but it just didn't happen. The blues room never took off due to thin attendance and the main room was over crowded and like an oven thanks to the tented structure that gets put up in there for weddings.

Personally I really enjoyed Rugby last night in spite of the heat - but then I didn't have to travel 150 miles there and back (it's more like 45 for me) and that can alter your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    I went to the two room event at St Neots (an hour and a half away from home) last week which included a blues room run by Marc and Rachel. In theory it should have been great but it just didn't happen. The blues room never took off due to thin attendance and the main room was over crowded and like an oven thanks to the tented structure that gets put up in there for weddings.
    I have to disagree about this one - there were more than enough people in the blues room at St Neots for it to work. I could maybe have danced 3 or 4 more tracks if it had been busier, but it certainly wasn't a problem. (and I don't give a monkey's about the main room, cause the music and general style of dancing there does nothing for me).

When I finally get round to going to Rugby, I'll be expecting a certain standard of music and dancing - so I'm interested to know who wanted the music that was played on Friday - so I can avoid them

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post

When I finally get round to going to Rugby, I'll be expecting a certain standard of music and dancing - so I'm interested to know who wanted the music that was played on Friday - so I can avoid them

Sean
    OXO's is such a nice guy and like lots of DJ's he trys to please every one.

My belife is that he is one of the best DJ's in the country, stop been a nice guy when tw&ts aske for tracks who know best

YOU

and that also includes a close friend of the man at the top........your the man!

the people that wan'ted it played were the group of blokes on the next table to lost leader, they hadn't been dancing long and were drunk!

Me been me had to go over and have a nice chat.......I also tried explaining the etiquet at Camber, I think i'm on to a looser! bit like them guy's i'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Focus Freestyle in Rugby last night was dire! What a disappointment.

For a kick off, the class started at 8:30 - not at 8:00 as advertised. I know that's been the subject of another thread so I won't bang on about that here.

A 150 mile round trip to dance in an oven to a top DJ being forced to play cr@p most of the night. The frustration on OXOs face was painful to see. Such a pity to waste the talent of such an amazing DJ

I have to agree on some of these points.

It was my first time at Rugby and the standard of dancer was better than I was expecting, I almost went to the Marc's Garvey, so glade I neaver.

I hate lessons.....did I ever tell you so dragging it out till almost 9 yawn!

but Lloydie(LYD) looked good on stage, yummmm

I know you should respecrt the customer, but i'm sorry when there p!ssed and don't know what they were talking about, why listen to them?

Loved you comment at the end of the evening Stokie, towering way above the guy saying ' harrrr so your the tw&t that's ruined my night ' he couldn't scuttle out fast enough.

some thing tells me we havn't seen the last of them

Fletch, you always seem to know what's going on. I didn't even notice that the blokes in question (not Rugby regulars) were drunk, nor did I did I see one or more of them get up onto the stage and speak to the DJ just before the clutch of fast tracks was played late in the evening. No doubt if I had seen this happen I would have been annoyed. As it was I just noticed the change of tempo in the music and assumed that for whatever reason this was what OXO had decided to play. I did think it was a little odd but, not being familiar with OXO as DJ, I did not think too much of it. Marc normally plays a few clubby tracks at these events anyway, albeit not normally that late in the evening.

Requests can put the DJ in an awkward position if they are for the type of music which the DJ feels isn't right for a particular event. If they play what is requested they risk annoying a significant number of the other dancers and if they don't play what is requested there is the risk that they might be confronted by the person at the end of the night demanding to know why their request was ignored. Not the kind of hassle anyone needs at the end of a long night.

Commercial Operator

As it was I just noticed the change of tempo in the music and assumed that for whatever reason this was what OXO had decided to play. I did think it was a little odd but, not being familiar with OXO as DJ, I did not think too much of it. Marc normally plays a few clubby tracks at these events anyway, albeit not normally that late in the evening.
    Rugby was just a joke on Friday. Such a shame too. I love OXO's and so felt for him. He is a fantastic DJ and he wasn't given the respect that he deserved. Why book him if you then don't let him do his thing? OXO's knows how to read a room and knows how to give the punter an amazing night whether it's in a blues room or a boing boing room. Check out any Ceroc weekender for evidence of this. Demanding him to play the stuff that was played on Friday is an insult.

Requests can put the DJ in an awkward position if they are for the type of music which the DJ feels isn't right for a particular event. If they play what is requested they risk annoying a significant number of the other dancers and if they don't play what is requested there is the risk that they might be confronted by the person at the end of the night demanding to know why their request was ignored. Not the kind of hassle anyone needs at the end of a long night.
    Requests are one thing but these were not requests on Friday. They were demands and aggressive demands at that! I did also feel for the guy who was running the event. I think it was hellish to try and keep everyone happy. Respect to him for finally allowing OXO's to bring the music down for the last 35 minutes when I went and spoke to him.

Fletch, you always seem to know what's going on. .
    I don't miss a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post

Requests are one thing but these were not requests on Friday. They were demands and aggressive demands at that! I did also feel for the guy who was running the event. I think it was hellish to try and keep everyone happy. Respect to him for finally allowing OXO's to bring the music down for the last 35 minutes when I went and spoke to him.
    that is 'Tallguyniceshoes' or Kirk for short he's a top bloke and knows his stuff.

Looks like this group has allready made an impression before the even arrive at camber

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    Rugby was just a joke on Friday. Such a shame too. I love OXO's and so felt for him. He is a fantastic DJ and he wasn't given the respect that he deserved. Why book him if you then don't let him do his thing? OXO's knows how to read a room and knows how to give the punter an amazing night whether it's in a blues room or a boing boing room. Check out any Ceroc weekender for evidence of this. Demanding him to play the stuff that was played on Friday is an insult.

I didn't realise that this was going on at all even though I was sitting near the "lively" group. People should not be allowed to make "aggressive demands" of a DJ - perhaps they should be spoken to by someone high up in Ceroc about their behaviour - presumably they were all members? It is awful that OXO felt intimidated and that they spoilt so many people's evening. I don't think I have seen them before at Rugby and hopefully they will not turn up again!

Friday an Rugby.

This is my local venue so always look forward to this night.
    While I had a good nights dancing. I did not enjoy the class mainly because of the content. But the dance I had with Fletch straight after more than made up for that and most of the dances were good. I found it difficult to cope with the heat on occasion.

I was dissappointed to hear that OXO,s had been approached by a couple of people complaining about the music. I hope this does not put him off coming back to Rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    It is awful that OXO felt intimidated and that they spoilt so many people's evening. I don't think I have seen them before at Rugby and hopefully they will not turn up again!
    Perhaps they were from the local Rugby team.

Does Rugby have a Rugby team?

Quote Originally Posted by Blind_Dynamo View Post
    Friday an Rugby.

This is my local venue so always look forward to this night.
    While I had a good nights dancing. I did not enjoy the class mainly because of the content. But the dance I had with Fletch straight after more than made up for that and most of the dances were good. I found it difficult to cope with the heat on occasion.

I was dissappointed to hear that OXO,s had been approached by a couple of people complaining about the music. I hope this does not put him off coming back to Rugby.
    After hearing all the comments i thought i had better put my version forward on what went on friday eve,this is the first time this has happened to me since i have been DJING and i hope its the last,not knowing to you but these group of people came on to the stage twice throughout the evening demanding faster music which i did in the end.As you noticed a complete increase in tempo which completely disturbed my set.The guy was in my face and wreaked of beer and abrupt.Also the women that was with him started to go through my music, she demanded disco music telling me to play music that she knew.Apparently they are not regulars at rugby and i tried to explain the best i could about the type of music and tempos etc that is played at the rugby freestyle,but just could not get through.I found this very intimidating and disturbed by it .It certainly hasnt put me off in coming back to Rugby , but i just hope it didnt spoil to many peoples eve.I am sure the majority of people will understand the position i was in at the time.
    Thank you for your support and its unfortunate that occasionally these people do cause problems.

- perhaps they should be spoken to by someone high up !
    I did

but seriously, this reiterates my point about not turning a blind eye to un-expectable behaviour.

I told two of them that I would dance with them at Camber but only if they hadn't had a drink, based on there behaviour on Friday, you just know they are going to be a nightmare on a weekender.

Quote Originally Posted by OXO'S View Post
    After hearing all the comments i thought i had better put my version forward on what went on friday eve,this is the first time this has happened to me since i have been DJING and i hope its the last,not knowing to you but these group of people came on to the stage twice throughout the evening demanding faster music which i did in the end.As you noticed a complete increase in tempo which completely disturbed my set.The guy was in my face and wreaked of beer and abrupt.Also the women that was with him started to go through my music, she demanded disco music telling me to play music that she knew.Apparently they are not regulars at rugby and i tried to explain the best i could about the type of music and tempos etc that is played at the rugby freestyle,but just could not get through.I found this very intimidating and disturbed by it .It certainly hasnt put me off in coming back to Rugby , but i just hope it didnt spoil to many peoples eve.I am sure the majority of people will understand the position i was in at the time.
    Thank you for your support and its unfortunate that occasionally these people do cause problems.
    what a cheeky mare

there was an issue with aerials and the danger of them recently, and there were notices put up, perhaps there could be a notice about drinking and expectable behaviour, any thoughts

I;m sure we all remember going swimming and the notice up with do's and don't.

remember

no petting

no bombing

no diving

i'm sure some bright spark could think of a list for Ceroc.

Quote Originally Posted by OXO'S View Post
    After hearing all the comments i thought i had better put my version forward on what went on friday eve,this is the first time this has happened to me since i have been DJING and i hope its the last,not knowing to you but these group of people came on to the stage twice throughout the evening demanding faster music which i did in the end.As you noticed a complete increase in tempo which completely disturbed my set.The guy was in my face and wreaked of beer and abrupt.Also the women that was with him started to go through my music, she demanded disco music telling me to play music that she knew.
    You need a set of crash barriers, or a minder (Fletch) for next time.

I didn't realise that this was going on at all even though I was sitting near the "lively" group.
    Neither did I and apparently they were on the next table! I only learnt there had been a problem when I went up to OXO at the end to tell him how great the music had been. I didn't think it was cr@p at all - it was far better than the average Ceroc night music, catering broadly to my tastes but still containing stuff that would please pure Cerocers rather than the Blues/WCS crowd. However, OXO was clearly genuinely rattled by what had gone on, and I really felt for him.

As I've been largely off the scene for the last year it does occur to me how much the music has changed - lots more very slow (sometimes insipid) stuff, lots of WCS (can be very difficult to MJ to successfully), less latin and no vintage swing (which I adore) - it's right out of fashion. I think slowing the music right down at the end works at a weekender where people are very tired but in the zone, and are dancing with others of a like mind. I don't think it works well at venues like Rugby where slow music usually results in a slow-motion Ceroc dance. I guess my choice to end the night would be medium to slow paced stuff that is rhythmically & musically interesting.

As regards hassling the DJ, I have done this myself at least twice so I can't really cast any nasturtiums. I wouldn't normally make any specific requests but I get very cross if the music isn't as advertised, especially if I've made a long journey to dance to music I like. It would seem reasonable to me to make a conspicuous statement in the advertising as to the type of music that is to be played and stick to that as far as possible, discouraging requests and keeping them to a minimum. People are then less likely to turn up at an event where the music doesn't suit them - don't know if that would have applied in this case, though..

Thread Information