Thread: Any tips on how to keep my cool?

Unhappy Any tips on how to keep my cool?

I have got 2 exams coming up and am getting in a right tiz! I always mess up in exams due to me getting very nervous! Last timei did an exam i nearly did not even go in!

If any one has any tips i would love to hear them as i am going to need them!
    Thanks
    x

Re: Any tips on how to keep my cool?

Just leaving work, so has to be quick,

1. do some gentle, slow deep breathing beforehand. Keep it slow so that you don't hyperventilate.

2. Avoid friends who might be doing the same exam - they always used to get me extremely wound up beforehand by discussing what they did and didn't know.

3. Try getting a small bottle of lavender essential oil and taking the odd sniff. It'll help calm you down, but don't overdo it beforehand as it can act a as a stimulant if you use too much. If you want to try other oils to help you study, then rosemary and basil can help brian function - so long s you're not pregnant or have heart problems/high blood pressure. Put a few drops of each on a tissue and take into the exam with you. (I'm the forum's resident aromatherapist in case you were wondering!)

4. Remember that it is just an exam. It's not the end of the world if you don't do well. A bit of perspective can help it seem too overwhelming, and hence you'll do better

Good luck and come back and tell us how you got on!

If you have done the correct preparation, not dissimilar to when you prepare for a dance competition or weekender and have covered all the bases, then you have nothing to worry about.

One thing that I would recommend is, on the night before, to do something totally contrasting and unrelated to the examination i.e. meet up with friends, get a little tipsy, get totally relaxed. I have found that this is the best way forward. It helps take your mind off (don't get too tipsy!!)

The important thing is to say that this examination is important but not to let it get you down. You will still be the same person everyone cares about in your circle two hours after the examination.

Best of luck and whatever you are going up for, may it be the best thing for you in life.

best
    johnnyman

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Remember that it is just an exam. It's not the end of the world if you don't do well. A bit of perspective can help..

On the way to an exam I was dreading, I used to imagine worse things that could be happening to me e.g. I could be ill and be on my way to hospital. After letting my imagination run riot, the exam seemed pretty tame in comparison.

Best of luck

Just try your best and if it's not good enough then it wasn't right for you anyway.

Don't worry be happy

Remember you can usually resit/retake most exams and courses. Its not a 'now or never' thing so don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Be well prepared - look at past papers, think about how to answer the questions, know your course material.

Spend time the day before going over the material again, refreshing it in your memory. Then do something relaxing for the last hour or so before you go to bed so that it isn't going around in your head. (But don't ring someone else who is sitting the same exam for a chat!)

Allow yourself plenty of time before the exam and have everything you need to bring ready the day before and travel/parking sorted.

Its only a few hours, it will soon be over and think of the feeling of relief when you finish!

Thread Information