Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having some fun...

Having some fun...

I love having fun when im dancing, regardless of whether i'm actually dancing well or not.. however, I have had dances with some people who only care about the quality of dancing in order to look good.......Although, personally, I think it looks much better when I see people having a laugh

So what does everyone else think? Is it more important to have fun over the quality of the dance or is it a preferance to have a serious dance...?

Re: Having some fun...

Fun all the way. Unless your into competitions of course.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Unless they are those 'Just for fun' competitions.

Sticking needles in your eyes might impress some people, but you wont do it becuase it is not an enjoyable experiance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Little 'un View Post

So what does everyone else think? Is it more important to have fun over the quality of the dance or is it a preferance to have a serious dance...?

mmmm not let me think

having fun allllllllll the way

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    why??????
    we try to have fun doing competition....coz we are rubbish

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Sticking needles in your eyes might impress some people, but you wont do it becuase it is not an enjoyable experiance.
    Don't knock it till U've tried it!!!

Even at "high level" serious end competing, it should still be fun... If U're not having fun, choreograph a routine with a suit in it!! That'll make U smile...

I've always remembered the dances when my partner and I laughed all the way through, more often than not because of a silly mistake, or a bit of attitude that made the experience so much more fun!

I have also danced with some "good" dancers that had a stony face and didn't communicate at all (eye contact, a quick hello, etc), it made it a real chore as I felt like an accessory, not a human being.

Having fun wins hands down, especially if I learn something new during the dance

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Don't knock it till U've tried it!!!

Even at "high level" serious end competing, it should still be fun... If U're not having fun, choreograph a routine with a suit in it!! That'll make U smile...
    hehe the "suit" make me chuckle

Fun all the way. I do have some 'serious' dances but that's usually because I'm trying really hard to concentrate...

I love having fun when im dancing, regardless of whether i'm actually dancing well or not.. however, I have had dances with some people who only care about the quality of dancing in order to look good.......Although, personally, I think it looks much better when I see people having a laugh

Hi Little 'un, hope you found our dances at the weekend fun enough.

Some people are performers and can't help themselves – they need the attention. If they feel they've given a bad performance, they won't enjoy the dance so much.

Other people don't give a damn what they look like.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't want to look bad, but I don't want to be the centre of attention. More importantly, I want my partner and I to be having fun. Hopefully this comes across in my dancing.

Sometimes I can be a bit self-critical, if I feel I'm not being fun enough. This is probably not really a good thing.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

Maybe I'm weird, but for me, concentrating really hard to dance to the best of my ability is fun. Maybe not giggling fun, but there's lots of kinds of fun.

A "Serious" dance for me is one where I am practising: normally in workshops or somewhere off the dance floor. All other times I am having fun.

"Quality" of dancing - I don't know how to quantify it except by how enjoyable it was: That's a quality dance.

Commercial Operator

I prefer to have quality dances that are serious fun

dont need to add any more to that post except

Depends on the circumstances

When I was learning and i dont just mean the first year or so, if someone was 'teaching me something' then yes serious I wanted to learn /copy it. Im talking about a partner on the dance floor

So for champs in next few days ill do some 'serious dancing' ie repeat a move till i get it right

If your talking about a weekender social dancing its a no brainer.............

Serious

Maybe I'm weird, but for me, concentrating really hard to dance to the best of my ability is fun. Maybe not giggling fun, but there's lots of kinds of fun.
    Absolutely right. I don't generally find mistakes fun, though they can also be part of the experience. The kind of dance fun I like is when the connection and quality of the dance feels so fantastic that it's like pure heroin in the veins (I'm guessing here, of course). It might involve uncontrollable smiling, or absolutely serious concentration, but definitely not giggling, for me. So

Quote Originally Posted by Straycat
    I prefer to have quality dances that are serious fun
    Thanks for that, Straycat.

Got to be Fun everytime baby.

Whilst dancing I have a habit of singing along to the track, and when I get really excited I tend to lick my partner.

Ps Onkar tastes marvellous.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

Gary, you aren’t weird, unless I am too. Concentrating hard on dancing to the best of my ability is what is the most dance fun to me. I find this in MJ when I dance with someone who is leading me just slightly out of my depth and I’m really having to try to stay on the ball to follow – and I get a great sense of achievement when I manage it. But dancing with my WCS teacher and being told what to do to improve is the greatest fun of all and the absolute highpoint of my dance week at the moment, because I know that what I’m being told is specific to my mistakes, and earning a “good” from him really encourages me.

The other sort of fun I find in dance comes from good connections with MJ partners - when you can tell they are enjoying it as much as you, regardless of whether it is the best dance ever or not. I have had a couple of really enjoyable dances recently with someone who’s much better than me, so I was mentally working hard (good), but I don’t think I got eye contact from him once during the whole dance until the very end when I got a big smile. I definitely felt there was a fun element missing; the dance worked well, I enjoyed it, I will ask him for a dance again, but the lack of personal connection detracted from the overall fun.

I regularly dance at my home MJ venue with a man who puts in bits of lindy and all sorts, and I never know what he’s going to do next – but it’s an absolute hoot regardless of whether bits of the actual dance work well or not. I think this is because he’s a happy bloke and he always seems to be enjoying it even when I’m hopeless. We seem to laugh a lot in the process, sometimes because it’s gone completely pear-shaped (my fault, I hasten to add!) and other times because the steps actually worked. Last week someone told me they found my dancing with him really funny because I didn’t look as if I had a clue what was happening but went back week after week for more. It’s probably very good for a self-critical nit-picker like me just to loosen up and not care about making a hash of things, though I’m not sure if I’m comfortable with the idea that I might be the class clown! On the other hand, I am clearly spreading the entertainment around, and bringing fun to at least one other person!

I get carried away and start singing sometimes in MJ, like I do in linedancing - guaranteed to make me go wrong of course - but I've never actually licked anyone in a dance...DTS, that would be really interesting for you to try that in linedancing, I'm thinking you would need an extraordinarily long tongue...

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Whilst dancing I have a habit of singing along to the track, and when I get really excited I tend to lick my partner.
    I do sing along to tracks but I have not thus far attempted to lick any partners. I get the feeling I would not be long for this world if I tried.

Had a really fun dance last night - hijacking baskets into wiggly bodyrolls, shaking backside at each other, pulling faces at each other during slo-combs, swapping leads and so on. Think you have to be in the mood for messing around though, I would not consider it much fun if I was trying to concentrate on leading particular moves.

I go just for the fun of it.

I love having a technically good dance, but at the same time we are smiling.

A technically bad dance can also be a lot of fun

Thread Information