Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is all the 'amazing' dancing really North of London ?

Is all the 'amazing' dancing really North of London ?

I was struck today by the "What's on" thread and how few venues are South of London (I'm bad at geography, but I made it three).

It is also a recurring theme of the 'Was it an amazing night for you' thread that apparently all amazing nights are to be had North of London as well.

Is this something to do with this being a Scottish forum ? (in which case, can someone point me in the direction of a Southerners forum? Ta ).

Or is MJ South of London really not worth mentioning in the "What's On" thread and really devoid of any amazing nights ?

Or are we all so super-cool down here and every night so amazing, it's not worthy of mention ?

Re: Is all the 'amazing' dancing really North of London ?

Maybe you could post some of your experiences?

Personally, I have had cracking nites at Fleet in Hampshire (very friendly), Hove (courtesy of Andy M.), Brighton (flapjack Friday), Epsom (ssome issues) and Haywards Heath (great) - all South of London - see my recent posts in the 'Was last night a-maze-ing or wot?' thread.

Oh - and don't forget Woking of course.

Generally speaking however, most of the great night are centred around the North London area, which is the epicentre of modern jive for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    I was struck today by the "What's on" thread and how few venues are South of London (I'm bad at geography, but I made it three).

It is also a recurring theme of the 'Was it an amazing night for you' thread that apparently all amazing nights are to be had North of London as well.

Is this something to do with this being a Scottish forum ? (in which case, can someone point me in the direction of a Southerners forum? Ta ).

Or is MJ South of London really not worth mentioning in the "What's On" thread and really devoid of any amazing nights ?

Or are we all so super-cool down here and every night so amazing, it's not worthy of mention ?
    (1) What do you define as south of London. Are all the CEROC Surrey or CEROC Kent venues in London or south of it. Maybe WHATS ON just needs a little expansion.

(2) There are a number of major players who are not called CEROC

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Generally speaking however, most of the great night are centred around the North London area, which is the epicentre of modern jive for various reasons.
    most of the great nights are north of Berwick

Brighton (flapjack Friday)
    Have heard of but cannot find the location; tis where?

Is all the 'amazing' dancing really North of London ?
    Nope - most of it is north of Gretna.

The forum is people posting stuff - the events talked about are the ones people who post on here have been at/are going to. So maybe there aren't many forumites in your area, or at least not ones who post?

The 'What's On' thread is compiled from events that people suggest on that thread. So why don't you contribute a list of possible events?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    most of the great nights are north of Berwick
    , like Dundee says the DundeeDancer

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Have heard of but cannot find the location; tis where?
    'tis but the throw of a pebble from the sea
    a joy filled promenade through salty winds
    awash with booty that Alfred hath giveth
    thy cakes - whence! not burnt thee now
    to dance - we must away to the way of the king
    on KingsWay I beHove thee King Alfred
    the centre of your leisure we await

Maybe you could post some of your experiences?
    That is a natural question and very valid
    My problem is tho, Although I can never say never, I kinda know in my gut I will never find another MJ night 'amazing'. I'm too old, too well travelled in the MJ world and too cynical

Last amazing night for me, 1996
    Tho I have posted in the plain old review thread rather than the 'amazing' thread.

Personally, I have had cracking nites at Fleet in Hampshire (very friendly), Hove (courtesy of Andy M.), Brighton (flapjack Friday), Epsom (ssome issues) and Haywards Heath (great) - all South of London - see my recent posts in the 'Was last night a-maze-ing or wot?' thread.

Oh - and don't forget Woking of course.
    Don't get me wrong, there are Southern entries in both threads, just not many compared to the number of Northern entries.

This is prolly a good basis for another thread
    Where exactly is the UK MJ epicenter and how do you judge it ?

(1) What do you define as south of London. Are all the CEROC Surrey or CEROC Kent venues in London or south of it. Maybe WHATS ON just needs a little expansion.

(2) There are a number of major players who are not called CEROC
    Not quite sure what you mean.
    I define South of London, as, well, South of London. So Surrey and Kent, yes.

I am not saying there are none mentioned, just way less.

I am also under the impression that non-Ceroc nights can be included in the "what's on". Seems to work that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    The forum is people posting stuff - the events talked about are the ones people who post on here have been at/are going to. So maybe there aren't many forumites in your area, or at least not ones who post?
    That is true, but mainly because we are an independant. There are a fair number of Ceroc Southerners tho, dancing at Fleet, Woking, down the coast etc. on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    The 'What's On' thread is compiled from events that people suggest on that thread. So why don't you contribute a list of possible events?
    I did for a while. It feels a bit wrong advertising my franchises freestyles on a Ceroc forum to be honest, but there are Ceroc franchises around here, I just know nowt about them. I'm really wondering about them.

This is prolly a good basis for another thread
    Where exactly is the UK MJ epicenter and how do you judge it ?
    It's an approximate mid-point between St. Albans, Cheshunt and Berkhamstead where the MJ-ley line meets a dance energy vortex. Some dowsers (using specially adapted hazel twigs intertwined with laces from Blochs) pick up this point quite clearly. Triple blind experiments have been run with rodents to confirm this.

How do I judge it?

I put on a funny wig and hold up a card which says: "10".

PS How old is "too old". There was a lady at Finchley the other week aged 84 (or more) - really enjoying it........and 'giving it some'. I wonder if it's in the mind......

There used to be a Ceroc Forum which served London but was open to anybody. The powers that be closed it down. A good number of members on that forum migrated to Frank'sone. The forum is not generally publicised, so it tends to be largely populated by the Scottish dancers, where it is, and by those who meet forumites in chat mode. This is why we have the weekender population here. It is used by three major groups. The ones most using the "where" thread are a section of the better dancers who want better dances. They go to weekenders and use the form to keep in contact with each other. Amongst the the largest and oldest franchises are the London and Ceroc Central ones, and the thread is dominated by members from those areas.

There are great dancers and dances all over.

Cool Re: Is all the 'amazing' dancing really North of London ?

Not quite sure what you mean.
    I define South of London, as, well, South of London. So Surrey and Kent, yes.

I am not saying there are none mentioned, just way less.

I am also under the impression that non-Ceroc nights can be included in the "what's on". Seems to work that way...
    If you look at a map of England you will notice that the vast majority of the place is above your 'South of London' line. It therefore stands to reason that more events are going to happen above that line and therefore there is more chance of someone having an amazing night. Have you thought about car sharing and traveling to where the fun is happening?

It's sad that you sound so cynical and seem to find MJ to be so lack luster. Have you thought about perhaps taking up crown green bowls. I hear that is very popular South of London

There is a glut of dancing to be had in the southwest...I am lucky to live within 60 miles of most of it

... there are Southern entries in both threads, just not many compared to the number of Northern entries.
    Obviously there are more dancers and dance events north of London than south. So there is going to be more talk about dancing north of London.

Strangely enough, in Scotland there is more talk about dancing north of Glasgow than south of it. I wonder why this is...

I'm sure than there's still 'amazing' dancing south of Glasgow, and south of London.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

If they were in London they'd be part of Ceroc London, and not called Ceroc Surry or Ceroc Kent therefore they are south of London as opposed to South London Seriously though, having looked at the list of venues, none of them appears to actually be in London - Croydon would appear to be the nearest with a claim, but it doesn't have a London postcode (queue discussion as to how London is defined )

(although that logic doesn't quite work when you take Ceroc Greenwich into consideration)

One thing that I have noticed is the lack of decent freestyles in south London itself. Apart from Greenwich and Putney (which is quite small), they are mostly in north or west London - the Hammersmiths, Chiswicks, Utopia's at Twickenham, etc. (Ceroc freestyles that is) And it's not just due to what people post about events, as I do look on the Ceroc London diary. Have to admit that I haven't really got around to venturing further out of London though... probably due to the experience of having less than wonderful nights at new venues where you don't get asked much if they don't recognise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    . Have to admit that I haven't really got around to venturing further out of London though... probably due to the experience of having less than wonderful nights at new venues where you don't get asked much if they don't recognise you.
    Possible new and interesting thread.

Do people feel that way? I know it is always difficult (but interesting and fun) to go to places where no-one knows you.........it does require 'investment' - and (especially for a woman perhaps) you have to 'work it'.

Does it depend on if you are likely to go there ever in the future?

Do women feel different from guys with regards to this issue?

Blog Entries

I have had 1 or 2 bad nights where I didn't know anybody, but I've also had some of my best nights in that situation too. I think it all depends on the atmosphere (which is created by the staff and regulars).

Thread Information