Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is all the 'amazing' dancing really North of London ?

Re: Is all the 'amazing' dancing really North of London ?

I remember a few years ago, me and my friend went on tour! well for us it was!

We went to Venues from Newcastle down to South London, we went to regular nights in the week and freestyles too.

It was brilliant, we had each other for moral support too, it was such good fun. I found it scary asking people to dance but the majority of people are friendly and willing

From my own experiences, there is always at least one jerk at a venue!
    Sometimes you notice them other times you dont.

Sometimes though I am the one that is not in a good mood, and im there to dance it off!! I would like to think that I would not make anyone feel un comfortable but you never know, one night someone might think that im that jerk!

I do find that the London venues are "amazing" but they normally have a bigger percentage of "weirdos" too

In my opinion "weirdos" might mean one thing, but to someone else they might be totally normal.

There is no way to be PC about these things, sometimes it is just personal preference.

We have some "amazing" venues in Scotland too
    I find that it is more friendly in Scotland than the London venues even though I know people in both places.

Though lots of other venues are just as amazing!

Em xx

It's a bit like the North West, though I know why F, SB, TB etc travel...though I still haven't been down to London yet. May do soon.

I must say I like going to venue where nobody knows me.

it is nice to ask a couple of people to dance and then see the change in then when they realise you can actually dance a step or two.

DTS Dave XXX XX

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Possible new and interesting thread.

Do people feel that way? I know it is always difficult (but interesting and fun) to go to places where no-one knows you.........it does require 'investment' - and (especially for a woman perhaps) you have to 'work it'.

Does it depend on if you are likely to go there ever in the future?

Do women feel different from guys with regards to this issue?
    Don't get me wrong, I have done it occasionally, and sometimes it's been good and sometimes it hasn't. And it not only depends on the venue, it depends on me and the mood I'm in by the time I get there. I actually think it was easier when I knew fewer people - maybe I've got lazy, as these days there are usually some people I know at most of the venues I go to.

It's also the fact that I would probably do this completely solo if I was going to - I'm not talking about doing it with a friend where you've got someone to talk to when not dancing. I guess that personal circumstances have dictated where I've danced as well - until a year ago, I didn't have my own transport, so was very stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    My idea of hell.. more that I don't know them..

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I have done it occasionally, and sometimes it's been good
    Beach Ballroom

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    and sometimes it hasn't.
    erm.. Beach Ballroom again alas (still it picked up afterwards)

I've not really dived into the London Dancing scene enough yet to make a judgement down here.. It Seems fine enough.. just more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean.
    I define South of London, as, well, South of London. So Surrey and Kent, yes.

I am not saying there are none mentioned, just way less.

I am also under the impression that non-Ceroc nights can be included in the "what's on". Seems to work that way...
    The centre of London is, I believe, Charing Cross. South of the river is perhaps South London although you will be in Surrey. Once you leave the London postcode you are still on land where voters get a vote for the Mayor of London. I believe Ken would like to define London as reaching out to the M25; beyond that you have certainly escaped London. You can find Sat night freestyles at Haywards Heath, Horsham, Woking and Surbiton (inside M25) to name a few CEROC venues. LEROC have one in Ashtead (inside M25), Dorking and Guildford. No idea about Mojive.....and so the list goes on but I have never discovered the Brighton venue.

I think the list just needs expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post

it is nice to ask a couple of people to dance and then see the change in then when they realise you can actually dance a step or two.

DTS Dave XXX XX
    I used to love going to a venue where noone knew me.

I still remember visiting my brother in Derby, and we went along to a regular night there, where he was a taxi dancer.

I spotted 2 girls standing together who were clearly good dancers and said to the closest one "this is my first time here, would you like to have a dance with me?" she looked down her nose at me and said "no thank you".

The girl next to her said "I will dance with you"
    Then we hit the floor and had a brill dance.

I love testing out the "hotshots" to see who are nice to what they would see as a beginner. (yes I have a strange sence of humour)

As I was dancing my "hotshot refuser" asked my brother "who is that guy?"
    My brother told her, "that's my brother - looks like you missed out"
    She replied, "but he told me he was a beginner"
    To which my brother replied "no, he told you it was his first time here... he wanted to see if you were a snob"

I've heard a rumour that Kent is so peaved at being tarred with the deep South poor dancing brush, that they have applied to be moved North of London.

There's an old saying that East Enders get ear ache if they are forced to cross the Thames and so they avoid South London like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    That is true, but mainly because we are an independant. There are a fair number of Ceroc Southerners tho, dancing at Fleet, Woking, down the coast etc. on the forum.

Surely its down to individuals

I use to live in Woking so danced there and Guildford and Fleet etc all great venues for different reasons and would have mention them had I been on the forum at the time

Now I mention Berko or sometimes Chesham or areas I go to

Most people go to Southport on this forum very few to Franco new venture hence no real 'feed back' from his event

At the end of the day its down to the people who use the forum to say whats good not good and Im sure there are loads of good events /venues even south of fleet

Thread Information