Thread: Call Centres and the like Rant mode

Call Centres and the like Rant mode

Ok this is a general rant, Im sure other have got some stories

Im a credit card 'customer' , you remember that word 'customer' ie pay your wages etc

So I go through 47 'options' before I can talk to a real voice re 'Change of address'

Of course real voice tells me I need my 'credit card' with me before I can do that

On this 'journey'

Had to key in 16 digit nos age , pass word etc

I've had my balance read to me (automated and not requested)

Asked if card stolen etc etc etc

What happen to

Pick up phone dial number and someone answers (human voice) Like First Direct

All this automation you seem to have to wait for longer and longer

The BBC licence was the worst ever it said to me

'sorry we are expereince high call voliumes now please ring later bye and hung up on me' !

Anyone got any stories to tell ?

Southern Electric now there is a story, wait in all day and then they say there not coming at 4pm The window they give is 8am to 5pm for a Boiler service which you pay for in advance

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Call Centres and the like Rant mode

Worst ofor me is BT on phone for an hour and bit trying to get a broadband line fixed once. Finaly get through to the "correct" department only to get someone who's english was on par with a 2 year old. Whats more, was a premium rate number. BT were profiting 100% 10p per min for that call. !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Ok this is a general rant, Im sure other have got some stories

Im a credit card 'customer' , you remember that word 'customer' ie pay your wages etc

So I go through 47 'options' before I can talk to a real voice re 'Change of address'

Of course real voice tells me I need my 'credit card' with me before I can do that

On this 'journey'

Had to key in 16 digit nos age , pass word etc

I've had my balance read to me (automated and not requested)

Asked if card stolen etc etc etc

What happen to

Pick up phone dial number and someone answers (human voice) Like First Direct

All this automation you seem to have to wait for longer and longer

The BBC licence was the worst ever it said to me

'sorry we are expereince high call voliumes now please ring later bye and hung up on me' !

Anyone got any stories to tell ?

Southern Electric now there is a story, wait in all day and then they say there not coming at 4pm The window they give is 8am to 5pm for a Boiler service which you pay for in advance

A couple (or more) of tips:

1. To avoid 0870 charges - there is a web site SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers which can reduce costs

2. When you get through - on some of the call centres, you can just press 0 (zero) and that bypasses having to enter credit card number etc and goes straight through to the agent. (Might be different variants of this technique)

3. Get vendors who have good online sites - and do it all online to minimise the pain of cal centre experiences. Email instead of calling.

4. Single thread everything through First Direct if you can.

5. BBC Licence - do it via direct debit - don;t even have to think about it.

6. You boiler service experience could be a compensation claim if they make an appointment and then donpt turn up. Check your service level agreement. If not - then switch suppliers to a more reliable outfit. (Uswitch etc).

Cool Re: Call Centres and the like Rant mode

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    2. When you get through - on some of the call centres, you can just press 0 (zero) and that bypasses having to enter credit card number etc and goes straight through to the agent. (Might be different variants of this technique)
    Yes... just do something that confuses the computer system, like pressing a number that is not an option. You may have to do this two or three times before the computer system gives up and routes you through to a... human!!

Another interesting one....I looked at the saynoto0870 web site - which I had not done for some time (good to take your advice from time to time.....) and it had an 0800 number for First Direct - which takes you to highest priority - and is of course free.

I tested the 0800 number - and it worked fine.

Maybe there are other 0800 numbers for other card providers there which also accelerate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Worst ofor me is BT on phone for an hour and bit trying to get a broadband line fixed once. Finaly get through to the "correct" department
    You got someone at BT to actually answer a phone call?!?!?!?

That must be a first.

I vote British Gas as being the worst though. I had to phone umpteen times, getting transferred all over the place and being put on hold for hours to finalise my bill before moving house. 18 months later I got a letter from a debt collector saying I was being taken to court for an unpaid bill (dated a year after I moved out). Numptys.

Thread Information