Thread: MJ tour of GB

MJ tour of GB

I have for some time wanted to do a MJ tour of GB - visit touristy stuff during the day and dance at night. I would also want to check out the Lindy / Blues scene but would concentrate primarily on MJ.

Basic idea is to spend 4 -6 weeks, probably in summer when the days are long - Ideally I could also fit in more than one weekender and a dance holiday.

Anyone have any suggestions as to timing and what events too attend - really any ideas to add to the mix?

BTW I am a longtime lurker - first post....

P

Re: MJ tour of GB

Quote Originally Posted by phazy View Post
    I have for some time wanted to do a MJ tour of GB - visit touristy stuff during the day and dance at night. I would also want to check out the Lindy / Blues scene but would concentrate primarily on MJ.

Basic idea is to spend 4 -6 weeks, probably in summer when the days are long - Ideally I could also fit in more than one weekender and a dance holiday.

Anyone have any suggestions as to timing and what events too attend - really any ideas to add to the mix?

P
    as to events - Southport of course!!!!!

where would you be coming from?

what sort of touristy things interest you?

Blog Entries

Planning your events etc should be as simple as looking at all the websites to see what's on. I'm sure in due course there'll be plenty of suggestions here, however, I have another idea for you to consider. It's a bastardisation of an idea I had, but will probably never do:

Why not plan it, announce it and raise money for charity on the way?

You can get official permission from a charity (they will usually supply you with t-shirts and other promo materials), publish your plan and get sponsorship in advance.
    Then contact the organisers of the events/nights you will visit and ask their permission to collect while you're there (try to get them to announce/introduce you during the night).
    You can easily setup a website for people to sponsor you on-line and the charity should give you a paying in book for any cash you collect.

Think about it, I can give you more ideas and details if you want.

And will you be travelling for the whole of the tour (i.e. mid-week dancing too), or just over weekends?

Give us some idea of what you want to get out of the trip and you'll probably get more and better ideas out of us.

Also, post lots over the next few weeks and get to know people on here, as that way there will always be someone somewhere whom you know Now you see the disadvantages of being a lurker!

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    ... Why not plan it, announce it and raise money for charity on the way? ...
    Maybe not for you, but I would like to see someone do a promo for MJ along these lines, with the target number of organisations visited being more important than the number of venues. This would make the project more media friendly.

It should be possible to get major backing for such a venture from a health foods supplier, perhaps a national supermarket chain.

On the health and MJ promotion front perhaps the British Heart Foundation would be one good choice of charity, perhaps shared with one for handicapped children that are less able to enjoy dance. I have been to schools for special needs children and seen the joy that rhythm and movement brings to their lives. Another media and promotion opportunity. If they can enjoy dance ...

It might even be possible to get a production company interested in following such a tour. There are loads of interesting characters in MJ and it could represent a snapshot of the state of the nation.

However doing such a venture half-heartedly would be a bad thing. It would act as a spoiler for someone trying to do it right. The "been done" syndrome. It might be better to use this tour as a fact-finding mission in advance of you, or someone else, doing it right another year. Keep a thorough diary/blog and list of contacts.

It could also be used to give local videographers a chance to display their wares on youtube.

A promo tour should include Blackpool and/or other championships.

And, of course, next year The World.

I love being an armchair General ...

The Forum Legend

Hehe. I do this sort of thing all the time. Just don't publicise it.

In the 9 weeks from middle March to end of May, I'll have danced at:

Aberdeen
    Dundee
    Edinburgh
    Nottingham
    Camber Sands
    Belfast
    Brighton
    Birmingham
    Southport
    Fulham
    East London
    Ayr

And probably a couple more places too!

As for the world (in terms of the Ceroc/MJ world), well, kinda been there, done that too!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

If you wanted to fit a camber weekender in there, you are more than welcome to my Thursday venue in Hastings, Just down the road from Camber.

P
    Fantastic idea.....I have considered something similar as well.

I wonder about going to some of the venues which have a certain distinction and pride. I am thinking perhaps more of some of the northern places - eg. Brighouse, Leeds (which I haven't been to - but which I hear is great) - and Stockport Town Hall - which is wonderful. And there is plenty to see/do during the days around there as well.

Thanks for the replies....

would be coming from Sydney.

what do I want to get out of it - well mainly to explore another dancing scene - reading this forum is like reading about a parallel universe.

I was intending on planning the dancing bit first and fitting the touristy stuff around the dancing

some of your venues look quite spectacular in the photos on flickr - are there any that you would particularly recommend?

it is also confusing trying to sort out the differences in the weekenders from this side of the world - do the different named weekenders have significant differences and target demographics?

Thanks for the replies....

would be coming from Sydney.

what do I want to get out of it - well mainly to explore another dancing scene - reading this forum is like reading about a parallel universe.

I was intending on planning the dancing bit first and fitting the touristy stuff around the dancing

some of your venues look quite spectacular in the photos on flickr - are there any that you would particularly recommend?

it is also confusing trying to sort out the differences in the weekenders from this side of the world - do the different named weekenders have significant differences and target demographics?

Well if you come from sydney, I might know you.

That is the thing about this forum, most people go for strange names and do not give out photos... although some do.

Best bets for the up to date stuff, who also know the difference from the Aussie scene... Trampy or Yliander... as they have danced a lot in Aussie and are now in the UK.

I would say you have to do a Southport. Difference being, not 200 to 300 dancers, but 1500 dancers and a well run event. The other difference being, dancing all night, until the morning light shines through...

As to places to go for lessons, Central London and Frank's classes in Scotland.

Journey from London to Scotland = same as Sydney to Melbourne. Do the drive or fly up.

For blues - Southport has a dedicated blues room

For Lindy - Rock bottoms weekenders has a Lindy bias, as well as the normal MJ.

If you're in London, do a Hammersmith, and dance on the boat (although they only advertise that about 3-4 weeks in advance).

Hammersmith is certainly the biggest dance venue in London, possibly the country - not sure how many it holds, but maybe 500 or 600? Come on a night when they've got a special party on if possible - it goes on an hour later (till 2am) and there is a second room downstairs. There are dancers of all levels - hotshots nearest the stage

The boat (HMS President, near Blackfriars station), by contrast, is tiny, and a lovely way to chill out with dancing, tea and cakes on a Sunday afternoon. You just have to get used to the curved dancefloor in the ballroom the lumpy deck where you can dance if the weather allows (only do aerials if your partner is wearing a life jacket ) and the gentle swaying of the boat However there's nothing lovelier than watching the sun go down and the lights come up along the Thames...

apologies for not replying more quickly - have been on training and by the time I checked again this thread was off the radar so I did not realise that there had been further posts.

thank you for the replies - am very keen to try both southport and dancing on a boat - my impression is southport is held approx 4 times a year and sells out quickly, is that correct?

the other instructor's classes I would like to attend would be Franck, Amir and would be interested in attending one of Andy McGregor's

I have found the following link that seems to supply much of the information that I am looking for Modern Jive dance classes and events in the UK - so many events and venues - any comments on its accuracy?

Hi Martin - you may know me by sight but I doubt we have spoken - I have been active in the sydney scene for 5 years, go to lots of weekenders and dances but it would be more likely if you were female - i spend almost all my time dancing ( had to sit out for a whole song the other nite,was seriously considering going home ), avoid the cool kids and never go in competitions. You may be able to tell me how many nights a week you can dance MJ in the Brisbane / GC areas outside of classes?

this reply would have been better if I could work out how to quote properly...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Well if you come from sydney, I might know you.

That is the thing about this forum, most people go for strange names and do not give out photos... although some do.

Best bets for the up to date stuff, who also know the difference from the Aussie scene... Trampy or Yliander... as they have danced a lot in Aussie and are now in the UK.

I would say you have to do a Southport. Difference being, not 200 to 300 dancers, but 1500 dancers and a well run event. The other difference being, dancing all night, until the morning light shines through...

As to places to go for lessons, Central London and Frank's classes in Scotland.

Journey from London to Scotland = same as Sydney to Melbourne. Do the drive or fly up.

For blues - Southport has a dedicated blues room

For Lindy - Rock bottoms weekenders has a Lindy bias, as well as the normal MJ.

I have found the following link that seems to supply much of the information that I am looking for Modern Jive dance classes and events in the UK - so many events and venues - any comments on its accuracy?

I use UK Jive it a lot for Dancing in the southwest and found it accurate and up-to-date

PM me if you are coming to our part of the world

Bath is worth a visit for Tourism and Dancing on a Tuesday night

Southport is held three times a year, and sells out very quickly for women - men can take a bit longer to get booked, but don't leave it too long. I believe it occurs in September, February and end of May/early June - I'm going to my first one that starts on 31 May this year. Can't wait!

Agree with Philsmove about Bath from the tourist perspective, though can't vouch for the dancing part. A really beautiful city.

Still think that if you gave us more of an idea of what you'd like to do tourist-wise it would be easier to match you up with dance venues/events too as there is good dancing in most parts of the country.

Thread Information