Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St Georges Day April 23rd

Re: St Georges Day April 23rd

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    it's a lot better than somewhere you fear for your life due to violent factions or insanitary drinking water. It's all relative.
    Sorry, off topic...

Undoubtedly that is the case for some but there have been many debates I've listened to on radio and TV where there are plenty who come here for a meal ticket and a place to live.

Many people who come here because of "violent factions or insanitary drinking water" have to go through several Safe countries before they get to England, but they don't stay in those places because they know they will be looked after here...at the tax payers expense.

If by "everyone" you mean those who are refugees or economic migrants from very poor countries, then the answer is simple - because although life in the US or Britain might not be perfect, it's a lot better than somewhere you fear for your life due to violent factions or insanitary drinking water. It's all relative.
    Im talking about 1st world countries

Reasons why they come here are my thoughts ??

Australia (no jobs or rain at home)
    Sweden (too cold at home and too many Ikea products)
    Germany (to many Turks in their home land)
    New Zealand (too many sheep at home)
    Isreal (too many bombs)
    South Africa (too near Zimbabwe)

Give me one country in the world better to live in then UK apart from USA

France is a safe country but they still want to come here ???why ??

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I dont know if your English you seem to be ashamed of your location but you sum up what is basically wrong with many Englishers

Their ashamed of their nationality, i hope over the next few decades this will change

Saw the English flag on the post office van, I assume the local paper will report it as 'racist'
    I am English, and I understand what you're saying. Someone put a Union Jack up one day for some celebratory reason (may have been ST.George's Day, a few years ago) and was intimidated into taking it down by the rest of the community.

ps why does everyone want to live here or in the USA if its so bad ?
    If by "everyone" you mean those who are refugees or economic migrants from very poor countries, then the answer is simple - because although life in the US or Britain might not be perfect, it's a lot better than somewhere you fear for your life due to violent factions or insanitary drinking water. It's all relative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

Many people who come here because of "violent factions or insanitary drinking water" have to go through several Safe countries before they get to England, but they don't stay in those places because they know they will be looked after here...at the tax payers expense.

It's easier to migrate to England if you have a passport from an English Colony/ex colony, like -

India
    Rhodesia (Zimbabwe/Zambia)
    Nigeria
    Kenya
    Ghana
    Banglasdesh
    Pakistan
    Jamaica
    Barbados
    Grenada
    British Guyana
    Australia/
    NZ
    Canada
    Ceylon (new name?)
    Lots more, but don't know them all.

Anywhere where cricket is played.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    It's easier to migrate to England if you have a passport from an English Colony/ex colony, like -

India
    Rhodesia (Zimbabwe/Zambia)
    Nigeria
    Kenya
    Ghana
    Banglasdesh
    Pakistan
    Jamaica
    Barbados
    Grenada
    British Guyana
    Australia/
    NZ
    Canada
    Ceylon (new name?)

Wrong answer

see below

Anyway of thread

Ceylon (new name?)

Ceylon = Sri Lanka these days.

And we do have a reputation for tolerance and immigration. Even before the 1950's and 60's (maybe historically that's being invaded by the Saxons, Normans, Vikings, etc. - they just do it a bit more peacefully these days!).

Maybe that's one reason why this "let's celebrate being English" thing doesn't work - what exactly does being English mean, how do you define who is English?

Maybe that's one reason why this "let's celebrate being English" thing doesn't work - what exactly does being English mean, how do you define who is English?
    "English", or "British" Twirly? Some colleagues and I were discussing at work how being English may be detrimental, whereas British seems more all-encompassing?

Funnily enough, it being St Georges day, and two of my workmates being staunchly Welsh, set the whole conversation going. They would rather say they're Welsh than British.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel_Warminster View Post
    "English", or "British" Twirly? Some colleagues and I were discussing at work how being English may be detrimental, whereas British seems more all-encompassing?

Funnily enough, it being St Georges day, and two of my workmates being staunchly Welsh, set the whole conversation going. They would rather say they're Welsh than British.
    In the context of this discussion, definitely English. I think that people have fewer problems defining themselves as Scottish, Irish or Welsh for some reason. And I suspect that many people have stronger regional identities (Geordie or Cornish, etc.) than they do English.

I wonder, do the English think of themselves as "British", whilst the Scots, Irish and Welsh have their own national identities first?

As an aside, it does make me laugh sometimes how we (presumably as a hangover from days of Empire) have managed to get the rest of the world to refer to us as "Great" Britain. Has any other country got the audacity to add such a grand prefix to their country's name and get other countries to actually use it?!

(presumably as a hangover from days of Empire)

Its short for Greater, where Greater is refereing to the outlying islands and territories of the UK as well as the main island of england, scotland and wales.

But isn't it a bit out of date now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    .........its mine today so Im celebrating the day twice!!

Happy belated Birthday Bluey - really sorry I missed it - looking forward to giving you a birthday hug this weekend

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

And, not forgetting Hong Kong.

And we do have a reputation for tolerance and immigration. Even before the 1950's and 60's (maybe historically that's being invaded by the Saxons, Normans, Vikings, etc. - they just do it a bit more peacefully these days!).
    And the Romans.
    Nearly the Spanish, but the weather was against them.
    Nearly the Dutch, but ditto
    Nearly the Germans.

Stewart, I'm sure we must treat these victims more humanely than the French.
    But also they may have family here already if they are coming, from say, Zimbabwe - an ex colony.

Blog Entries

And, not forgetting Hong Kong.
    Is Hong Kong called Sri Lanka now too?

(I'm Sri Lanka, and so are the rest of my former colonial islands - I'll get my coat...)

Its short for Greater, where Greater is refereing to the outlying islands and territories of the UK as well as the main island of england, scotland and wales.
    My understanding without a google

Great Britain = England Scotland Wales
    UK = England Scotland and Wales and NI
    British Isles = England/Scotland/Wales/NI and Eire

although with google some say GB = UK

ps British Empire = The countries in Atlases that were coloured pink cira 1900 (without google)

Makes you proud of St George

Stewart, I'm sure we must treat these victims more humanely than the French.

I would NEVER suggest we put a ring of onions around there head make them where a black cap or put them on a wobbly bike with a loaf of bread bewteen their knees

Yes and it was used to distinguish it from lesser britain (brittany). For what its worth the french and german words for great britain also mean big rather than amazing (grossbrittanien (sp.), grande bretagne) if i am right?

You dont see people from the lesser antilles complaining that their islands are being judged less worthy than the greater antilles (although maybe they do)

An Eclectic Toaster

As an aside, it does make me laugh sometimes how we (presumably as a hangover from days of Empire) have managed to get the rest of the world to refer to us as "Great" Britain.

Never heard of the term "Greater Britain" before, and I can't find a reference to it (Googling "Greater Britain" only finds it used in the titles of books about politics and sociology, it seems). I doubt anyone nowadays would consider it in good taste to mention such an idea either: the last two European nations who spoke of being "Greater" were, erm, Germany (1933-1945) and Serbia in the 1990s.

The largest island of the British Isles is called Great Britain, and conventionally the term includes Shetland, Orkney, the Hebrides, Scillies, Anglesey and the IOW as well. I can see where you're coming from with the term "Greater" here, just that I've never heard of it used in any official political capacity, not even by King James VI who basically invented the concept.

Has any other country got the audacity to add such a grand prefix to their country's name and get other countries to actually use it?!
    Yes. The Most Serene Republic of San Marino for one, although since it consists of one mountain in central Italy, a) we can let them away with it and b) it's probably accurate. There's also the tragically inaccurate "Democratic People's Republic of North Korea" for another, and you know what? GB doesn't even have a monopoly on the word "Great", you know. What delightful company we keep, eh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Never heard of the term "Greater Britain" before, and I can't find a reference to it (Googling "Greater Britain" only finds it used in the titles of books about politics and sociology, it seems).
    In Geoffrey of Monmouth's pseudohistorical Historia Regum Britanniae (circa 1136), the island of Great Britain was referred to as Britannia major ("Greater Britain"), to distinguish it from Britannia minor ("Lesser Britain"), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany.

I doubt anyone nowadays would consider it in good taste to mention such an idea either: the last two European nations who spoke of being "Greater" were, erm, Germany (1933-1945) and Serbia in the 1990s.
    Pretend it never happened, lest we upset people in some random, non-politically correct way. Don't mention the war!

Never heard of the term "Greater Britain" before, and I can't find a reference to it (Googling "Greater Britain" only finds it used in the titles of books about politics and sociology, it seems). I doubt anyone nowadays would consider it in good taste to mention such an idea either: the last two European nations who spoke of being "Greater" were, erm, Germany (1933-1945) and Serbia in the 1990s.
    We do have the terms Greater Manchester and Greater London but it is a bit different for countries i suppose

Isreal (too many bombs)

Can't comment on some of them, but the impression I got of the reasons was:
    France (restrictive job laws, so easier for young professionals to get a job in the UK)
    South Africa ("affirmative action" in SA job market, which is demoralising for the competent people)
    New Zealand (Baaahhh)
    Australia - due to the resources boom in Oz, there's actually plenty of jobs available here; I get paid more as a civil engineer here than I would do in the UK. Whilst I'm loving the lifestyle here, I am missing the culture in the UK; yes British telly is in fact the best in the world, although you only realise this when you're not there. (There is the standard joke about the only place to find culture in Oz is in the dairy section of the supermarket).

I could never work in the US - imagine only getting 10 days holiday leave a year

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Can't comment on some of them, but the impression I got of the reasons was:
    France (restrictive job laws, so easier for young professionals to get a job in the UK)
    South Africa ("affirmative action" in SA job market, which is demoralising for the competent people)
    New Zealand (Baaahhh)
    Australia - due to the resources boom in Oz, there's actually plenty of jobs available here; I get paid more as a civil engineer here than I would do in the UK. Whilst I'm loving the lifestyle here, I am missing the culture in the UK; yes British telly is in fact the best in the world, although you only realise this when you're not there. (There is the standard joke about the only place to find culture in Oz is in the dairy section of the supermarket).

I could never work in the US - imagine only getting 10 days holiday leave a year

Isreal (too many bombs)

Those I know of who've worked in Great Britain did so mostly to have the overseas job experience on their CV (resume) because it would help them when they came home to get a better job.
    The other main reason was they could use it as a base for travel through Europe.
    It certainly wasn't cos of the weather or due to lack of jobs.
    Last edited by ~*~Saligal~*~; 29th-April-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Thread Information