Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: St Georges Day April 23rd

Re: St Georges Day April 23rd

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    It certainly wasn't cos of the weather or due to lack of jobs.
    Im only going on what Aussie friends have told me

One of them, where she lives in Aussie no real rain for 3yrs (I appreciate its a very big country)

She is back in Aussie now working in Insurance would she prefer to be back in london ?

No brainer really, she 30 and through a PHD wants to come back

There is nothing wrong with this just the way it is at present maybe Moscow will be the city of choice in 30yrs time

Hell london has got the premier of Sex and the City (go figure)

Geographically a good base for Europe would be Kosovo ?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Im only going on what Aussie friends have told me

One of them, where she lives in Aussie no real rain for 3yrs (I appreciate its a very big country)

She is back in Aussie now working in Insurance would she prefer to be back in london ?

No brainer really, she 30 and through a PHD wants to come back

There is nothing wrong with this just the way it is at present maybe Moscow will be the city of choice in 30yrs time

Hell london has got the premier of Sex and the City (go figure)

Geographically a good base for Europe would be Kosovo ?
    If an Aussie wants rain - it's only a 3 hour flight to NZ... easier and far far cheaper
    Convenience usually comes before the actual geographical point of base for travelling Europe.... I guess you didn't quite take this into account - or maybe I wasn't specific enough for ya.

Commercial Operator

some irrelevant mutterings...

1) It does disappoint me that there isn't made of St George's Day. Perhaps we could begin by campaigning to have the missing syllable (er) put back into England. "Engerland" makes for a much prettier song, don't U think?

2) It would be nice to see an English team play in English national colours and not use those of the Union Jack, i.e. the colours of the Union.

3) If Oz is so great, why are soooo many Aussies over here?

4) For the record: even with its mention of crushing rebellious Scots (like there's any other kind), God Save the Queen is not the English National anthem: please don't use it as such.

5) I think we SHOULD celebrate all that encompasses English culture: cricket, morris dancing, chicken tikka..

On that note, U'll be pleased to know I'm flying south this evening and look forward to a good pasting, when I cross the border, from my Engerlish friends

Love and peace...
    Last edited by CJ; 1st-May-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Exchange rate - pound goes so much further in Europe than the Aussie $

so endure dreary weather for the benefit of having Europe a stones throw away

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

On that note, U'll be pleased to know I'm flying south this evening and look forward to a good pasting when I cross the border from my Engerlish friends

Don't forget your wife is Engerlish

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Don't forget your wife is Engerlish
    Aye, she'd give me a good pasting, if she could, too

some irrelevant mutterings...

2) It would be nice to see an English team play in English national colours and not use those of the Union Jack, i.e. the colours of the Union.
    Which play in the Union Jack? The english football and rugby teams play in red and/or white. At the commonwealth games they run/throw wearing red and white as well.

4) For the record: even with its mention of crushing rebellious Scots (like there's any other kind), God Save the Queen is not the English National anthem: please don't use it as such.
    Oh i agree, i dont like the tune and, since i dont believe in god and am not a fan of the queen, the words arent that attractive either.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Which play in the Union Jack? The english football and rugby teams play in red and/or white.
    Really?!? A quick google at strips over the years might not back up ur assertions...

Really?!? A quick google at strips over the years might not back up ur assertions...
    Or it might

England's Uniforms and Playing Kits

(good god there were some awful strips around 1990!

What i see here is mostly a white and a red strip. Sometimes there is a bit of blue on them but only very small and, if you want to be picky, not always the union jack blue I suppose the ill-fated grey is also somewhere on the Union Jack?

An Eclectic Toaster

Or it might

What i see here is mostly a white and a red strip. Sometimes there is a bit of blue on them but only very small and, if you want to be picky, not always the union jack blue I suppose the ill-fated grey is also somewhere on the Union Jack?
    More importantly, what you don't see on that web page is that the shorts on the England first kit are almost always navy blue, a colour notable in its absence from the St. George's Cross, but distinctly present on the UJ. Try again...

Commercial Operator

Or it might

From the site U generously provided...
    Quote Originally Posted by official site
    The white shirt--generally accompanied by navy blue shorts and either navy blue or, these days, white stockings--has been England's traditional strip and is regarded as their home uniform. The red shirt--usually worn in combination with white shorts and red stockings--has been their usual change strip and is considered their away uniform, although they have also sometimes worn several shades of blue, most recently in 1996.
    The reds also change shade... U gonna deny theu are St George flag colours?? Are you going to tall me the St. George's cross is "mostly" red and white??

Could it be the ill fated grey is more indicative of the strength (or othwerwise) of your argument.

So, the Union flag is red white and blue. The England strip (home, obviously) is red, white and blue. Anything else to add??

Commercial Operator

Sorry, somehow didn't paste this in last post...

Quote Originally Posted by same site
    On even rarer occasion England have worn colours other than their traditional red/white/blue.

So, the Union flag is red white and blue. The England strip (home, obviously) is red, white and blue. Anything else to add??
    The much-celebrated Archie Gemmill scored wearing red, white and blue for your information

As far as i can see england normally play in white with blue shorts. Red has sometimes been put on in areas and most notably has been supplemented recently by putting a st george's cross on the shirt. In my mind it is the shirt that is more important and besides the union jack does not have one colour on top of another. If anything i would have thought that you would be happy that england were wearing pretty much the inverse of the scottish strip to emphasise the difference between the two countries To be entirely consistent england should wear white shorts if the whole strip is going to reflect the national flag but then it doesnt matter that much to me. I would never look at any current england strip and think it was anything like a union jack. The ones that do look most like that are the ones from the late 70s/early 80s but then Archie was happy to wear those colours too....

If you are talking about england in sport then i would have thought that cricket would be a better example anyway. The team known as england doesnt represent england. I dont understand why this isnt changed, especially when a test match is going to be played in cardiff Then again i cant imagine many people would want to be associated with the england team given their recent record

Commercial Operator

As I am sure U are quite aware, the red in the Scotland strip is from our other flag: "The Lion Rampant": a red lion on a yellow(ish) background (possibly gold). Indeed, the red socks are often referred to as "the Lions' claws" {although, I would have preferred an animal that could actually kick a ball.} and if U look REALLY closely, U will see most of the adidas stripes/puma erm pumas and the like on the boots are all gold/yellow to incorporate both flags.

But thank you for the memory: the all important goal, the family going wild and my mum slipping and breaking her toe!! The last world cup goal where a left footer scored by dribbling past so many players was a Diego somebody... Can't remember much about it... feel free to post a link...

As I am sure U are quite aware, the red in the Scotland strip is from our other flag: "The Lion Rampant": a red lion on a yellow(ish) background (possibly gold). Indeed, the red socks are often referred to as "the Lions' claws" {although, I would have preferred an animal that could actually kick a ball.} and if U look REALLY closely, U will see most of the adidas stripes/puma erm pumas and the like on the boots are all gold/yellow to incorporate both flags.
    Thanks I think a lion could kick a football as well as most animals to be honest.

But thank you for the memory: the all important goal, the family going wild and my mum slipping and breaking her toe!! The last world cup goal where a left footer scored by dribbling past so many players was a Diego somebody... Can't remember much about it... feel free to post a link...
    Too young to remember either i am afraid but i hear that there was a goal scored by Paul Gascoigne in 1996 that was really good. Shall i give you a link to that one?

An Eclectic Toaster

Too young to remember either i am afraid but i hear that there was a goal scored by Paul Gascoigne in 1996 that was really good. Shall i give you a link to that one?
    Remind me - was that against the eventual finalists in the tournament, or a workaday diddy team that scraped into the tournament and did their usual first round exit?

Commercial Operator

Lets draw this post to an end, so gone off the subject now!!!!

*snip*some irrelevant mutterings...

*snip*
    I'd ask you similar.... if England is so nice, then why is it those who come to Oz for a holiday just don't seem to leave?

(oops... just noticed the last post... oh well)

An Eclectic Toaster

The last world cup goal where a left footer scored by dribbling past so many players was a Diego somebody... Can't remember much about it... feel free to post a link...
    Ah, that'll be in the semi-final .

It's a little bit annoying how that goal against Belgium is overshadowed by (and even, erm, this one )

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    I'd ask you similar.... if England is so nice, then why is it those who come to Oz for a holiday just don't seem to leave?

(oops... just noticed the last post... oh well)
    A Aussie said to me how could I prove she was a Aussie

I said simple she is over her

End of thread

Thread Information