Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: St Georges Day April 23rd

Commercial Operator

St Georges Day April 23rd

Now the Scots know how to celebrate, so do the Irish plus I told the Welsh do as well.
    BUT
    we are still waiting for ST Georges day to become a holiday.

HISTORY FACT

The link between St George and England was formed in the 14th century, during the reign of Edward III. Edward founded the Order of the Garter in 1348, which he put under the patronage of St George. St George became the special protector of the English, whose soldiers were required to wear the sign of St George.

It wasn’t until 1415 AD that St George became the patron saint of England, when English soldiers under Henry V won the battle of Agincourt. In Shakespeare's Henry V, the King famously invoked St George as England’s patron saint by crying: “Cry God for Harry, England and St George”.

How can you join in?

I see my local pubs are making more of an effort this year as well as does LeRoc Surrey annually.

But why has it never happened that 23rd April is a holiday?

Blair was in for long enough to make changes

But now we have Brown and being a Scot, the suggestion have gone from what chance have we got in the Crusade going through parliament at present: to, he knows how to celebrate, perhaps he will make it one!

Things to do St Georges Day.

72% of the Moiri poll said celebrate!!

It says do anything thing English

for example

Have a great big English Breakfast?

Visit a English landmark?

Swim in the English channel (perhaps not)?

Go to a English rose garden (some roses are out)?

Play Stings track " An English man in ...."?

Meet your Princess in a English castle?

Meet you Knight in shining armour?

3.30pm Tea Party- hold it any where unusual it says on web site

9.30pm is the time to grab a pint and celebrate

So you want some help to celebrate St Georges Day

April - St George's Day events : Enjoy England

Rallying behind St George - Morning Advertiser

Destination Guide for Trafalgar Square : Enjoy England

Celebrate St George's Day - Home

Please do you bit an vote, over 100,000 people have and its needs you vote, if anything you get a days holiday!!

St. George's Day Petition - Wells Bombardier

Tell us how you celebrated the 23rd, I know Im going to try a few of the ideas.

Top tips for St George's Day celebrations by Top ideas for St George's Day celebrations - Wells Bombardier

(seems Im going to have a celebratory pint at 9.30pm & 10.45pm!)

Celebrate St George's Day in style! Here are our top tips for April 23rd...

1. No St George’s Day celebration would be complete without joining the rest of the nation at 10:45pm, by raising a pint of Wells Bombardier to England and St George. People should herald the toast with: "I have the honour of undertaking the following toast. Ladies & gentlemen, I give you England & St George."

2. Make England and ‘the English’ the theme of your party. Why not try an English fancy dress competition and feature English music and food – whether it’s English snacks or a full-blown medieval banquet.

3. Celebrate English music. You could play anything from Land of Hope and Glory, to The Beatles, to The Spice Girls. Just make sure it’s English!

4. Lay on traditional English food – bangers and mash, pie, beef Wellington, spotted dick, toad in the hole...

5. Play England sporting events on your TV…you can’t celebrate England without reliving the 1966 World Cup!

6. Run an English quiz

7. Limber up your vocal chords and have a good old English sing-song.

8. Decorate your home or pub in English flags

9. Try and be imaginative and different: relive the England’s rugby team’s great World Cup win ... have a Jonny Wilkinson hour!

10. And start planning now! Let’s make sure England’s national day doesn’t go by unnoticed!

Bluey

Re: St Georges Day April 23rd

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Let’s make sure England’s national day doesn’t go by unnoticed!
    I can only assume you are taking the plss.

I read this quote recently...

"Two years ago, church leaders in Coventry caused controversy by describing St George as being too 'Warlike' and offensive and intimidating to other faiths."

When you read quotes like this, you know you are fighting a losing battle. There's always some tosser trying to play the 'Offensive to other faiths' card, as if St Georges day is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

"Two years ago, church leaders in Coventry caused controversy by describing St George as being too 'Warlike' and offensive and intimidating to other faiths."

When you read quotes like this, you know you are fighting a losing battle. There's always some tosser trying to play the 'Offensive to other faiths' card, as if St Georges day is racist.
    Here is one link

Will George be slayed as England's patron saint? | the Daily Mail

Ill keep my head down re St Georges day , wouldnt dare take out a England flag might offend someone

Its funny the whole world want to live here but we are ashamed to be English ,which lets face it bought civilisation and football to the rest of the world

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

Is not why they were sent to Coventry!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Here is one link

Will George be slayed as England's patron saint? | the Daily Mail

Ill keep my head down re St Georges day , wouldnt dare take out a England flag might offend someone

Its funny the whole world want to live here but we are ashamed to be English ,which lets face it bought civilisation and football to the rest of the world
    Wear a red Rose with Pride

The scots are proud to be Scottish
    The Irish are proud to Irish
    The welsh are proud to be Welsh
    Why not be proud to be English!

I'm the only pearson I know who has ALLWAYS wore a fresh Red rose on St Geroges day, I have had comments over the years, like are you part of the labour party, and are you rasict.

No to both, i'm just proud to be English.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I'm the only pearson I know who has ALLWAYS wore a fresh Red rose on St Geroges day, I have had comments over the years, like are you part of the labour party, and are you rasict.

HI, I know the feeling. For years I wore a red rose on my business suit, people though I was going or had come from a wedding!!

Because its not caught on, red roses will be cheap next Wednesday.

People in sport have at times mentioned the red rose of England, but will they were one... on the 23rd!!!

Maybe we could have specially made badges as well

bought civilisation and football to the rest of the world
    you can say these two things in the same breath and be proud ???????

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    you can say these two things in the same breath and be proud ???????
    I think this knocking of things English is perhaps a unique thing of the English

I was a long time ago chatting to a women from Isreal who was having a real moan about something or other in London, I said why dont you go back ?

She said you must be joking its far better here and that must go for the 5 million or 10 million who have come here since

In the USA their proud to me American we just dont seem to have that

I think this knocking of things English is perhaps a unique thing of the English

I was a long time ago chatting to a women from Isreal who was having a real moan about something or other in London, I said why dont you go back ?

She said you must be joking its far better here and that must go for the 5 million or 10 million who have come here since

In the USA their proud to me American we just dont seem to have that
    I am extremely proud to be English and never knock important things that are English
    i agree that to knock anything English seems to be a pass time in this country
    My joke was because you used football as if it was something to be proud of whereas its just a game whether you like it or not that's all it is
    As for civilisation well i think that we are now finding out that it was the roans and Greek that bought civilisation to much of the world long before the English did any travelling
    Having said that i think we do have a lot to be proud of democracy and freedom of speech for example shame and it seems odd that we allow our media to destroy any pride we might have

Because its not caught on, red roses will be cheap next Wednesday.

I have mine made up as a button hole.

Wear a red Rose with Pride
    Red roses represent Lancashire - and white roses are for Yorkshire, so you're bound to upset someone...

BTW, St George is also the patron saint of syphilitics (ooh, the things I learnt at Uni )

I am extremely proud to be English and never knock important things that are English
    i agree that to knock anything English seems to be a pass time in this country
    My joke was because you used football as if it was something to be proud of whereas its just a game whether you like it or not that's all it is
    As for civilisation well i think that we are now finding out that it was the roans and Greek that bought civilisation to much of the world long before the English did any travelling
    Having said that i think we do have a lot to be proud of democracy and freedom of speech for example shame and it seems odd that we allow our media to destroy any pride we might have
    Football brings the English nation together,you can wave a English flag with pride ,attach it to your rear car window and then forget you have attached it to your rear car window and watch if fly off

I know the romans built a few roads and Greeks did some stuff but hey we gave the world the USA we know today

Things that I love about being English

You can get a kebab at 3am

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post
    Red roses represent Lancashire - and white roses are for Yorkshire, so you're bound to upset someone...

BTW, St George is also the patron saint of syphilitics (ooh, the things I learnt at Uni )
    NOT on 23rd April

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

I just performed for around 1000 people in Covent Garden this afternoon for the St George's day celebration, third year running. Great time, jivers, swing dancers and morris dancers. Lots of roses given out, even pearly kings and queens...

I think most English are proud, although sometimes hidden too far below the the "pc" level.

Its funny the whole world want to live here but we are ashamed to be English ,which lets face it bought civilisation to the rest of the world
    It's what you were told at school, but the reality is that the English have colonized many countries and vast areas of land, made a fortune, raped the countries of their riches, abused the inhabitants, making them work for a pittance, then left, leaving a huge mess behind and in some cases civil wars.

I know the romans built a few roads and Greeks did some stuff but hey we gave the world the USA we know today
    I hope you're being sarcastic Stewart?

Have you noticed, no one likes us - apart from the Americans.

There appears to be no logic at all in the choice of Patron Saint.

St Georges was born in Turkey and was a Roman soldier who declared himself a Christian; he was put to death and subsequently canonnised by the church.

There are no records of him ever setting foot in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    It's what you were told at school, but the reality is that the English have colonized many countries and vast areas of land, made a fortune, raped the countries of their riches, abused the inhabitants, making them work for a pittance, then left, leaving a huge mess behind and in some cases civil wars.

I hope you're being sarcastic Stewart?

Have you noticed, no one likes us - apart from the Americans.
    Well said Astro.

I may get slammed for this, but in fact I often find myself embarrassed to be English/British. After all, what are known abroad for these days? Mostly football hooligans, lager louts, promiscuity in the sun and a love of unhealthy food.

One of the reasons that I love living in London is that it has such a diverse community, and is not “typically English”.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    There appears to be no logic at all in the choice of Patron Saint.

St Georges was born in Turkey and was a Roman soldier who declared himself a Christian; he was put to death and subsequently canonnised by the church.

There are no records of him ever setting foot in England.
    Like St Andrew, the choice of St George was political, though more to do with royal politics than those of the church. In the case of George, it was to do with Edward III and the Crusades. This bloke's a more legitimate patron saint of England, and you should probably be celebrating on 20th November instead. Probably by watching reruns of Blackadder

Saint Columba and Saint Ninian have a much better claim to be patron saints of Scotland than Andrew, anyway. But we'd need to invent a flag to go with them.

I've celebrates St. Georges day every year for the last 14. He's also the patron saint of Scouting, and as a scout leader I've had to parade each year with my scouts the nearest Sunday to the 23rd.

It's a shame the English don't make a lot of it, but that's the English for you, there has been an upsurge in flags but thats usually for football

Thread Information