Thread: Should I book a dance holiday abroad?

Should I book a dance holiday abroad?

I tried searching for feedback on previous dance holidays without any success. I'm sure there was one for Med Fest last year.

A friend of mine is trying to persuade me and a group of friends to book for Med Fest in September, this sounds like a great idea.

Now, I absolutely love weekenders and want to know how a dance holiday abroad compares or anyones' previous experiences on these holidays abroad.

Thanks in advance.

Spiky

Re: Should I book a dance holiday abroad?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    I tried searching for feedback on previous dance holidays without any success. I'm sure there was one for Med Fest last year.

A friend of mine is trying to persuade me and a group of friends to book for Med Fest in September, this sounds like a great idea.

Now, I absolutely love weekenders and want to know how a dance holiday abroad compares or anyones' previous experiences on these holidays abroad.

Thanks in advance.

Spiky
    I've been on 3 dance holidays, all different all great

I have heard of few poor expereinces but these are usually the dance and sail type where 1 or 2 dance and 22 sail, or where there has been no attempt at gender balance

I've been on three dance holidays and loved them all! I've only been on the Jive Addiction ones (which I could highly recommend!) so can't comment on the others. To me they have been the perfect balance of -

- usual holiday stuff - sun, beach, pool, sightseeing etc
    - dancing every night - as much or as little as you want (which for me was rather a lot)
    - workshops - optional of course but can be useful and fun (the last one I was on was with my WCS partner and we did all the WCS classes and a private lesson and it made a big difference in our progress).
    - very sociable - lots of other dancers to meet, chat to over meals etc. The one I was on last Dec there was always a crowd having drinks by the pool early evening and I loved just sitting, chatting and chilling with a coffee watching the sun set.

The ones I have been on have been in nice hotels (the last one was really great - fantastic location and good selection of food) and the dance classes and freestyles have all been in the hotel I've been staying in or just a short walk away.

I'm hoping to do another one this year - just need to check dates/flights/round up who else might want to go etc.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

to all the stuff Lynn said re Jive Addiction holidays. I've been to La Pineda, Gran Canaria and Mallorca with JA and I would definitely recommend them

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    to all the stuff Lynn said re Jive Addiction holidays. I've been to La Pineda, Gran Canaria and Mallorca with JA and I would definitely recommend them
    Jive addictions holidays I found to be slightly older crowd and more couples then the club dance holidays who do the med fest

Both good for different reasons

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

I have been on the JA holidays, and the last one in dec it was a cross section of ages and I was in a group of singles who met met up with quite a group of other single people and yes there were few couples but a few who came as friends. I will be doing either the oct or dec one wish I could afford both

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    I will be doing either the oct or dec one wish I could afford both

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve

I followed the Gran Canaria thread with interest and it sounded really good! I hoped to go on a Jive Addiction holiday at some point this year, but with going back to uni the timings for that aren't going to work out.

According to the website though, Ceroc are doing a weeklong Club Dance holiday in Barcelona at the beginning of August, with Mark and Rachel doing 10 hours of intermediate classes throughout the week... £549 per person on a bed & breakfast basis. Has anyone been on a Ceroc holiday? How did you find it? I probably shouldn't even be *thinking* about going away, what with going back to being a poor student and all, but hey...

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post

I followed the Gran Canaria thread with interest and it sounded really good! I hoped to go on a Jive Addiction holiday at some point this year, but with going back to uni the timings for that aren't going to work out.

According to the website though, Ceroc are doing a weeklong Club Dance holiday in Barcelona at the beginning of August, with Mark and Rachel doing 10 hours of intermediate classes throughout the week... £549 per person on a bed & breakfast basis. Has anyone been on a Ceroc holiday? How did you find it? I probably shouldn't even be *thinking* about going away, what with going back to being a poor student and all, but hey...
    I did the Ceroc Barcelona week in 2004. Overall I'd say it was a very enjoyable week, if a little on the expensive side. We had a good mix of gender iirc, totalling something like 80 dancers in all. The daily (morning)workshops were of a good standard, well organised and useful, and leaving the afternoons free for leisure. The evening freestyles were however quite poor, in that they were held at (I think) 5 different venues across the city, with at least 2 of them being a sod to get to. Plus they all had different start times.

Hth
    Last edited by Gojive; 18th-April-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling, plus small addition

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    The evening freestyles were however quite poor, in that they were held at (I think) 5 different venues across the city, with at least 2 of them being a sod to get to. Plus they all had different start times.
    Why is this? For variety for the dancers? But surely it means a lot of extra DJ/eqipment/venue set up etc?

The JA hols I have been all have all had the freestyles in the same hotel we are staying in (or right beside) which means its easy to come and go. I really don't think I'd go on one where I had to get a taxi to the freestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Why is this? For variety for the dancers? But surely it means a lot of extra DJ/eqipment/venue set up etc?
    I'm not sure tbh Lynn, but I'm guessing that a lot of it was probably down to venue availability?...but I really am just guessing on that one

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    The JA hols I have been all have all had the freestyles in the same hotel we are staying in (or right beside) which means its easy to come and go. I really don't think I'd go on one where I had to get a taxi to the freestyle.
    You've just reminded me of another aspect that perhaps could of been better - we were split over 3 hotels too, so you really only got to know well, those who were in the same one as you.

To be fair, it could all have changed by now of course, given it was 3 1/2 years ago now

I have been on 5 Ski and Roc holidays
    The skiing on all 5 was fabulous with the Dancing in evening an added bonus

But they have all been primary Ski Holidays. The Dancing and Classes in the evening varied with generally too many men. I could not recommend then for the dancing alone but as singleton they provide a great mix of fellow Dancers and Skiers

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    The Dancing and Classes in the evening varied with generally too many men.
    Really?

When is the next one planned?

I'm coming too!

Question Re: Should I book a dance holiday abroad?

Hi everyone,
    This is Isabelle from Ceroc Marseille, I'm thinking of taking a group of French Cerocers to Med Fest in Lloret de Mar in September. I've never been there, and would like to see your comments/views/opinions on that weekender. Have you been there before? Has anyone you know been? what is it like? similar to the ceroc weekenders in the UK (we've been twice to Camber sands)? I gather the Med Fest is smaller (max 200 people), what else should I know?
    Thanks for your help,
    Isa

Thread Information