Thread: Insidious Internet Exploder

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Insidious Internet Exploder

ooh naughty Facebook - logged on to check what my 3 friends and their dog was doing , and got presented with

Please Read This!
    You may want to upgrade your browser.

You're using Internet Explorer 6 to browse Facebook right now. Facebook will work better for you if you upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 or switch to another browser.

Upgrade to Internet Explorer 7
    Switch to Firefox
    Switch to Safari
    Switch to Flock

Close
    ...which seemed ever so slightly biased to me. IE7 is a whole new browser so I wouldnt consider it an "upgrade" any more than firefox would be an upgrade. Surely level playing field for all? And why no Opera ? I'd complain if I could be bothered and they never listen. You can complain until blue in the face but it doesn't get you anywhere ..cont.p94

I don't use IE6 (or 7) at all at home but am teaching people just now and i use whats installed .

Commercial Operator

Re: Insidious Internet Exploder

Personally, in my more charitable moments, I'd call IE7 an upgrade from IE6. In my mildly uncharitable moments, I'd be more likely to say that IE6 is an abortion, and that it should be wiped for ever from the face of the planet. If I'm in a bad mood, I say .... other things

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Personally, in my more charitable moments, I'd call IE7 an upgrade from IE6. In my mildly uncharitable moments, I'd be more likely to say that IE6 is an abortion, and that it should be wiped for ever from the face of the planet. If I'm in a bad mood, I say .... other things
    IE6 is just that. IE8 actually looks like, without any work arounds or strict mode, will actually be CSS2.1 compliant. Which is more than FireFox has right now (I think it finishes support in FF3). I'm not fused about which browser people use; just as long as they use one that actually behaves like it should. I've spent far to much time trying to make pages work in IE6 .

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    And why no Opera ?
    Opera can be very strict in its compliance to standards; including Javascript. It could be that the AJAX stuff that Facebook uses doesn't work so well in Opera so they aren't recommending it (which you could argue they could try and fix).
    Last edited by killingtime; 15th-April-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes

You can complain until blue in the face but it doesn't get you anywhere ..cont.p94
    Ah so thats where the blue face comes from you obviously are always complaining

I've just gone back from IE7 to IE6 ! OK you get tabs instead of new windows, but if you save a page to disk, it often 'locks up', so you have to open up a new IE7 window ... argh ! Maybe 8 will be better ?

I tend to use large fonts on high resolution so I do the accessibility thing of 'ignore fonts' so layouts are screwed anyway, unless people designing websites really understand 'liquid design'.

Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    I've just gone back from IE7 to IE6 ! OK you get tabs instead of new windows, but if you save a page to disk, it often 'locks up', so you have to open up a new IE7 window ... argh ! Maybe 8 will be better ?
    Do you save a lot of pages to disk? Firefox can save to disk just... meh, I'll give up on the sales pitch .

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Do you save a lot of pages to disk? Firefox can save to disk just... meh, I'll give up on the sales pitch .
    ... and I'll continue it. I have just installed Firefox just because there is an add-on for it that will save youtube videos to disk. Anybody know if there such a thing for IE6/7 ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    ... and I'll continue it. I have just installed Firefox just because there is an add-on for it that will save youtube videos to disk.
    is there?
    where & how?

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    is there?
    where & how?
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    ... and I'll continue it. I have just installed Firefox just because there is an add-on for it that will save youtube videos to disk. Anybody know if there such a thing for IE6/7 ?
    does anyone really care if there is ?

does anyone really care if there is ?
    Lots of the world still use IE. I cry for them daily*.

* Not really true, I do often cry in anguish about all the fecking hacks, work-arounds and fixes I need to put in to my code to make IE work even vaguely how it is expected to. I hate IE

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Lots of the world still use IE.
    Well yes, but these people call for an assistant when shopping in the "Arse and Elbow Emporium". I doubt they care for "add-ons" , oo-er missus whats that etc...

Firefox add-ons for it that will save youtube videos to disk
    Or UnPlug

Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    If I want to save a page I usually find it easier to save it as a PDF using CutePDF Writer (freeware)

Was interested to see this advisory on You Tube earlier today. You Tube is now owned by Google I think so they probably have no great warm feelings for Microsoft. I was viewing YT with (corporately supplied) IE6.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Was interested to see this advisory on You Tube earlier today. You Tube is now owned by Google I think so they probably have no great warm feelings for Microsoft. I was viewing YT with (corporately supplied) IE6.
    OOOH nice Quite right too. Firefox 2 is, after all, the majority browser - as Ive mentioned before. IE7 has taken market from IE6 so they are both less used than firefox.*

Personally i still think Opera is the better browser

*[size] on the w3c site which doesnt actually mention the firefox version number - but it sounds good[/size]

Personally i still think Opera is the better browser
    See as a web developer I really couldn't care if people use Safari, Firefox, Opera... I'm just looking for things that, generally, try and adhere to web standards in a vaguely sensible way. If IE8 implements what it promises too then I'd probably be fine with that too. I'm just sick of spending hours debugging completely crazy behavior with IE; but more annoying having to entirely re-write code (often in less accessible ways) so it works with IE.

I love Opera's CSS support though. Its printing support is fantastic and you can use it to test handheld and projection layouts too .

The Dashing Moderator

Lots of the world still use IE
    Well yes, but these people call for an assistant when shopping in the "Arse and Elbow Emporium".
    ...or have to use it because that's the "Corporate build" on everyone's PC

... or use it to access systems that don't work so well in non-Microsoft browsers - eg. Microsoft Outlook Web Access works much better in Microsoft IE than in Firefox, and I'm not clever enough to work out if it's possible to make Firefox use OWA properly, so I stick with IE.
    Love dance, will travel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    ...or have to use it because that's the "Corporate build" on everyone's PC
    very true - i used to have a battle getting firefox installed for development (a veritable wealth of plugins), my very reasonable argument of "Ford build cars in a factory even though they get driven on a road - we should not build web front ends in Internet Explorer just because they will be viewed there" often got countered with "but its not corporate standard". Now I use portable firefox from a usb stick so its a non-issue.

Thread Information