Thread: Tourist Advice: Berlin

Blog Entries

Tourist Advice: Berlin

I'm off on holiday to Berlin later this week to visit a friend and see the sights!

I only have a few days though, so want to make sure I make the best use of my time. I'd appreciate any suggestions for places to go and things to see in or around Berlin - anything that you'd recommend as a "must see / must do". Similarly, if you've been there and bought the t-shirt, but wish you hadn't bothered, please let me know too so I can consider avoiding or postponing the experience!

Thanking you in advance!

Shiny x

Re: Tourist Advice: Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    I'm off on holiday to Berlin later this week to visit a friend and see the sights!

I only have a few days though, so want to make sure I make the best use of my time. I'd appreciate any suggestions for places to go and things to see in or around Berlin - anything that you'd recommend as a "must see / must do". Similarly, if you've been there and bought the t-shirt, but wish you hadn't bothered, please let me know too so I can consider avoiding or postponing the experience!

Thanking you in advance!

Shiny x
    I went to Berlin about 10 years ago - and found it an amazing city. There are parts that want to hold on to their history, and parts that want to abandon it.

A must see for me was the Berlin wall - or whatever is left of it - along with Checkpoint Charlie Museum. I wanted to see it as it's a part of history that has happened in my lifetime. I remember watching the wall coming down.
    I loved the museum - not sure if it's the same now though. If it is the same you'll need plenty of time to go through it - to read the letters, see the items. I was quite moved by it all - I was almost in tears (as were the people there with me at the time). I found this video clip on it if you're interested:

Checkpoint Charlie | Berlin | Video Tour. Information and tour of Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, Germany

I also went for a walk into the jewish sector of Berlin to see the other side of it all. I'm not sure if it's still the same but it really freaked me out seeing guards at the doors of the jewish cafes with rifles (to keep out the neo-nazis).

You have to check out at least one beer hall (although I found them more fun in Munich).

And if you're into "techno" music - then you'll love Berlin nightlife.
    The link I attached above also has some video clips on other things to see as well as travel tips for Berlin.

Have fun! I hope you enjoy it - it was certainly one of the more memorable cities I've been to.

If you are into Argentina Tango, a visit to The Loft is a must

From my partner who I know has spent long periods in Berlin

---------------------------------------------

Take a bus around the city. The best way to see the whole of Berlin very quickly is to spend an hour or so on a No 100 bus, which passes by all the main sights, including the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag, and the State Opera. It also goes into East Berlin and offers some opportunity to see what the east of the city was like under Communism, before the collapse of the Berlin wall.

Buy a 24-hour travel pass from one of the main railway stations (such as Zoologische Garten in the centre of town), as this gives you unlimited access to buses – and once you’ve validated your ticket once you don’t have to show it again, unless you travel on the buses after 8pm.

Go shopping at the Ka De We. Kaufhaus Des Westens, more commonly known by the shortened version of its name, is the second largest department store in Europe (only Harrods is bigger), selling everything from clothes and household goods to stationery, toys and souvenirs. The quickest way to travel is in one of the glass-panelled lifts which give a superb view of the store as they whiz up and down.

Go to Berlin Zoo, visit the Brandenburg Gate, take a trip to Checkpoint Charlie and Visit the Jewish Museum -Address: Lindenstraße 9-14, 10969 Berlin
    Tel: 030 25993 300

----------------------------------------

You just had to rub it in didn't you...

Best check out what the milkmen are like SWS....

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

---------------------------------------------

Go shopping at the Ka De We. Kaufhaus Des Westens, more commonly known by the shortened version of its name, is the second largest department store in Europe (only Harrods is bigger), selling everything from clothes and household goods to stationery, toys and souvenirs. The quickest way to travel is in one of the glass-panelled lifts which give a superb view of the store as they whiz up and down.

----------------------------------------
    I'd agree with this, especially the foodhall.

There was a company that did guided walks of Berlin in English. They are linked to the people who do the guided walks in London.

I'd also recommend the Museum Island.

Thread Information