Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: "The Ceroc Champs are fixed"

Blog Entries

Re: "The Ceroc Champs are fixed"

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    I also don't think Matt should have entered the Intermediate this time. I think he was ok to enter intermediate last year with a new inexperienced partner, but he was pushing it too far this time. His partner is no longer new and inexperienced.
    Fair comment, David. Sorry - I thought it was this thread where you'd said his partner was inexperienced, but actually it was something I'd read on another one. Sorry for the confusion.

OK - Just watched the CHAMPS DVD

Wondering what the Judging was all about when the couple who won the Premier Competition i.e. OPEN actually managed to fall over in the Final but still win..

I know I'm just a simple Jiver but surely that's a bit much!????

The Forum Legend

So, otherwise great dancing (and I didn't see the final, but I've seen Tom and Vicki dance plenty of times), should be penalised for one mistake?

It's less about the mistake, and more about how the recover from it, and the rest of the dancing.

I know, as a judge, I wouldn't particularly penalise anyone for falling over. Provided that they got up and recovered well. Same as I wouldn't penalise someone for missing a hand catch or some other mistake. I'd still want to see the best overall dancers win.

Sorry Mate...

But this was the Final of the Top competition... & I think falling over in the middle of it should mean you are out!

Tom & Vicky are amongst my favourite dancers to watch but it defies belief when you watch the Final on the DVD that they won on this occassion.. I suggest you get the DVD and watch it! Not only do they fall over but it clearly affects the whole rest of their dancing to that track...

The CEROC judging has already got a reputation (see previous postings) and this IMHO doesn't exactly cover it in glory either!!!

The Forum Legend

As I said, I didn't see it, and haven't seen it since.

If it does indeed clearly adversely affect their dancing thereafter, then fair enough, I'd mark them down for that.

If other people (including the judges) don't see it that clearly, and feel that after the mistake, they recovered, and were still the best dancers on the floor, then, as previously stated, I don't see why they wouldn't win.

A single mistake should not be enough to disqualify you, or render you unable to win a competition at Ceroc, or any other of the jive competitions. Even if it's the top level, or such a big mistake (and of course, there may be mitigating circumstances as well that we're unaware of - such as water or something else on the floor).

As for Ceroc judging, I have to say that out of all the competitions that I've been to in the UK - which is everything except Britrock, I've agreed with more of the results at Ceroc competitions than I have at other competitions by other organisations. But then, it's also all a matter of subjectivity anyhow

Ok Tramp, I'll let it go with this parting comment...

Dancing like many art-forms depends on the emotional response it generates in the individual so I may be missing something... Perhaps if the judging policy and marks were published on the website afterwards we may have the opportunity to understand the judges???

On a Personal level though I'll not be travelling to London again for the Champs,

...............nor buying the DVD again as it seems to have all the Quality Control of a Taiwanese Rolex and has now started jamming on both disks...

Look forward to bumping into you sometime on one of our trips to Scotland!!

Ah - Just checked out your photo... Realise that I've seen you at a few events before.. On a Personal note I loved the Showcase you did last year at Blackpool ( I thought the judges got that one wrong too!!!)

All the best...

flashy

But this was the Final of the Top competition... & I think falling over in the middle of it should mean you are out!
    Have to agree.
    Incredibly bad luck, but that's the way it goes.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Billi Wiz View Post
    Well thats just stupid. Say there are 6 couples in a final and they all fall over at some point during it. They are all "out" by your judging criteria so should the semi-finalists be called back in for a new final then ?

I'd like to think that judges were concentrating on marking the POSITIVE things in a dance and not eliminating people for their mistakes. I think thats what theTramp means when he says he would mark a couple down, he wouldn't put -1 against their names he just would have no + at that point where he would have for other couples. If they're still better overall then they win.

watched the final on the day and saw the fall in question - rather impressive and eye catching - and while Tom & Vicky danced well and recovered reasonably well - given the calibre of the dancers in the final was surprised that they came first.

At open level I would expect an error such as a fall to result in loose of points which while might not exclude a couple from placing I would expect that it would cause them to at least drop a position...

Thread Information