Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: "The Ceroc Champs are fixed"

Re: "The Ceroc Champs are fixed"

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    [B][U][LIST]

Re Judges chatting
    Often we are talking about whether a particular move was legal, or what number a couple is, or how many we are recalling, or how many tracks in this heat?
    Alternatively you can have this

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    In judging the Lucky-dip (love that name) we were given a very simple task with the first two rounds... to simply knock out any couple that didn't pass muster. That way we didn't have to tackle the difficult task of taking notes on 8 or 10 couples for four or five major sets of criteria.
    In the semis and finals we had to be more specific with our criteria.

What im talking about is for example two judges sharing a joke and not looking at the dance for 60 secs

Its rare it happens its disrespectful

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re Judges chatting
    Often we are talking about whether a particular move was legal, or what number a couple is, or how many we are recalling, or how many tracks in this heat?

...or what was on TV last night, or "who do they think they are", or "where is the drink i ordered", or how poor the competition is this year, or the merits of thongs when dancing wearing tight trousers... etc...

bet you do

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Its rare it happens its disrespectful

Is it? We all know you need to be dancing well when a judge is looking at you - I would say it would be much easier if you know that they're only really looking for the first 30 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    ...or what was on TV last night, or "who do they think they are", or "where is the drink i ordered", or how poor the competition is this year, or the merits of thongs when dancing wearing tight trousers... etc...

bet you do
    Serious point here

Do you think I should wear a thong and tight trousers

Will it get me noticed ?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Serious point here

Will it get me noticed ?
    it will, and yes, you should

i have no idea if they are fixed lol

But i think...

When it comes to judging...

Theres always going to be people you like and people you dont,

The people you dont like you just notice what the are doing rong no matter how good they are.

For the people they like they notice how well they are doing and find it hard to see the bits they do rong.

Its not any ones falt its life, but with a large range of judges it shud average out to a fair enoth result.

unless all the judges dislike the same person :P

Serious point here

Yes, but you can forget about the smile you wish to cultivate.

Just a thought

For those who have won been placed in a comp before ,can anyone give me some advice

I have permanent miserable face (see SF comments) so when I win the intermediates and have the photo shoot any pointers?

I was thinking of saying ‘cheese’?

Nothing nasty please just a few pointers and few words maybe for my speach ?

Just in case we dont win I've got a 'we were rob' speach ready

Can you enter two catergories, so I can see both please?

Elaine

Re Judges chatting
    OK - time to go head to head....

While the dance is going on, maybe some chat about this to clarify...
    After the dance is done, put your numbers in, get it into a computer or on paper and get it counted.

A move not legal - 2 judges spot it, report to the head judge a ruling is made.

What number a couple is - If you do not know, the time to find out is before the music starts. Stand up and ask.

How many recalling, or how many tracks that heat - again stand up and ask, before they start.

What is unacceptable is a group of people getting together and chatting about who should go through after the event.... give your marks and let the numbers speak, and get the organisers out of the equation.

What I object to is a big delay in who goes through or wins, "coz they are fixing the results"

Get the results in, plug it into computer or do it on paper, but do not chat after the dance...

Seen it happen too many times
    Last edited by Martin; 5th-May-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Oh dear...

I have just realised several exceptions to my thoughts above...

Never mind... I am sure they will be pointed out

So .... any accusations that this years Champs were fixed? From the comments so far seems like people broadly were in agreement with the Judges?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    So .... any accusations that this years Champs were fixed? From the comments so far seems like people broadly were in agreement with the Judges?
    It was of course all totaly fixed

Even though I was not there and do not have a clue of the results, apart from the fact the Aussie's bumed out....

Quote Originally Posted by Billi Wiz View Post
    There is a rather odd message on the CEROC CHAMPS NEWS website..

Please note if you are in the Intermediate but the judges feel you should have been in the Advanced you will be disqualified

Does anyone have any thoughts???

I'd like to hear someone from Ceroc explain how, considering that was the message posted on their website, Matt could be moved up to advanced for "being too good".

Last week I emailed Ceroc, asking them to clarify what they meant by being too good for intermediate. I explained we came 1st and 2nd in 2 previous intermediate comps and wanted to know if this would disqualify us. I got this reply..

"We do have a problem in that dance couples tend to enter the intermediate category as a safe bet even though they really should be in the advanced category.

As we know this happens we add the caveat to the rules that if in the judge’s opinion a couple are blatantly an advanced coupling and should not be in the intermediate category then they have the discretion to disqualify that dance couple.

I cannot be any more clear than that as this is totally at the judges discretion and the intermediate judges as a group will sit down after each heat and discuss this should it be an issue."
    I sent a 2nd email asking him to clarify, so I got this reply...

"I cannot expand on what I have already said because whatever decision is made on the day will be based on what the category judges opinion is at that time and I cannot predict that.
    The rule has always been in place but it has been highlighted this year because of feedback from the judges last year.
    If you are disqualified from the intermediate you are disqualified. There is no refund and you cannot then move category. There is still the opportunity to swap category if you made that decision this week but not on the day.
    Sorry I cannot be of more help."

so basically, i was told no-one can change category on the day, they would instead be disqualified. Haven't Ceroc then broke their own rules?? We were persuaded to change category by the threat of disqualification, yet we could have just competed in intermediate, safe in the knowledge that we could always be moved up to advanced. Which coincidently began at 8pm, after the 1st 2 heats of intermediate, giving ample time to prepare. Personally I think they have discredited the competition by their actions.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by unclepigg; 6th-May-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Commercial Operator

I didn't see it but have been told it's ok to drop ur partner, yet still win a category. Can anyone confirm they saw something of the like?

Mods may help but as posted on other post

The Lucky Dip was a total utter fix and I dont know why they chose to do this ? I didnt see it going on elsewhere ??

Might be nice to hear from a judge who was looking at 30 (yes 30 couples) all dancing at the same time in a small space in the semis, the next dance Open had 4 couples dancing

Quote Originally Posted by unclepigg View Post
    I'd like to hear someone from Ceroc explain how, considering that was the message posted on their website, Matt could be moved up to advanced for "being too good".

I think the problem I had with the couple who got bumped up to Advanced was the fact the bloke nearly fell over a couple of times trying to spin as well as clearly losing connection with his partner on numerous occasions yet still get second place in the ADVANCED?????

It's a funny old world....

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I explained we came 1st and 2nd in 2 previous intermediate comps and wanted to know if this would disqualify us.
    You were in doubt about this? I think they put the new rule in there just for people like you

Personally I think they have discredited the competition by their actions

Quite the opposite. If they are seen to be discouraging non-intermediates in the intermediate catagory and sticking to it, it shows a big change for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    You were in doubt about this? I think they put the new rule in there just for people like you

Quite the opposite. If they are seen to be discouraging non-intermediates in the intermediate catagory and sticking to it, it shows a big change for the better.
    Why the smiles ?

Just band them from all competitions rather then waste ceroc time re e-mails and 'debate'

Blog Entries

so basically, i was told no-one can change category on the day, they would instead be disqualified. Haven't Ceroc then broke their own rules?? We were persuaded to change category by the threat of disqualification, yet we could have just competed in intermediate, safe in the knowledge that we could always be moved up to advanced. Which coincidently began at 8pm, after the 1st 2 heats of intermediate, giving ample time to prepare. Personally I think they have discredited the competition by their actions.
    I don't agree. I think it's far better to invite the Intermediates in question to move up a level (as did actually happen) - rather than disqualify them. It's a far more professional attitude, IMHO. In the first example, it's clear that the judges (like DavidB) felt they could legitimately enter the Intermediate section because they are a new competition couple - and particularly as one of them has been dancing a very short time. Surely it would be incredibly unfair to disqualify that couple on the day because the rules aren't clear, and a judge has already said that they qualify?

I'd be careful - your comments could be taken as sour grapes, and I'm sure you wouldn't have intended that.

The Oracle

I think they took the right action on the day.

I don't think they gave the correct advice to unclepigg before the competition with regard to not being allowed to move to the advanced on the day. They should have said "You will be disqualified from the Intermediate, and only be allowed to move to the Advanced if the timetable and number of entries allows it" ie the first round of the advanced is after the first round of the intermediate, and the advanced is not full, and wouldn't require an extra round or heat.

I also don't think Matt should have entered the Intermediate this time. I think he was ok to enter intermediate last year with a new inexperienced partner, but he was pushing it too far this time. His partner is no longer new and inexperienced.

I have no idea who unclepigg is, so couldn't say which category he should have entered.

Thread Information