14 26.92%
  • I Love It

37 71.15%
  • I Love it and False Pretzil

1 1.92%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bongo Song

Re: The Bongo Song

I like this track though I made the mistake of buying the 6:41 version off iTunes rather than the edit. It's not as fast to dance to as maybe it seems on a casual listen.

More generally I am interested in the views of some people about repetition in tracks. I have long listened (and continue to listen) to a lot of dance music - deep house, techno, etc - much of which is built around the power of the repetitive groove. It's one of the reasons I love 'Say It Right' but others seem to think that only songs with strong melody and or rhythm changes are good dancefloor fodder. Maybe the musical requirements for solo and partner dancing differ?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    More generally I am interested in the views of some people about repetition in tracks. I
    I remember being really disappointed with the 12" singles that I bought when I was young back in the 80s.

I expected a 6 minute version of the radio edit. What I got was a padded out version. Padded out with a gurt long uninteresting instrumental section.

Hooked on Classics was more my thang! Remember those uptempo medleys of the best bits of Mozart, Beethoven etc. Ahhh! Halogen days!

Daisy

(A Groovy Little Flower)

Haven't heard it for ages, but always loved it. Will and Kate did a brilliant showcase, but then you would expect that of them - Kate is a wonderful choreographer!

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    Haven't heard it for ages, but always loved it. Will and Kate did a brilliant showcase, but then you would expect that of them - Kate is a wonderful choreographer!
    Yep was about to say they did a showcase to it - I remember seeing it at Britroc. They seemed to find plenty of things to do with the track.

Depends on my mood - had some fun dances to it (usually with Drathzel!) but sometimes it makes me want to run and hide.

Not that I use it but no musicality? Even though it appears as a thump thump song, pay enough attention and it truely isn't. Well IMO it isn't.

Love it!

I remember the Bongo Song in particular from the Commonwealth Games in 2002 when they were held in Manchester. Before each heat of the gymnastics it was played, and everyone was up clapping and cheering. Really love dancing to the beat, and it allows for some good interpretation and fun. It certainly tests out my stamina and I am usually cream crackered after dancing to it.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    I love it! It's got loads of energy and I always want to dance to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I remember the Bongo Song in particular from the Commonwealth Games in 2002 when they were held in Manchester. Before each heat of the gymnastics it was played, and everyone was up clapping and cheering. Really love dancing to the beat, and it allows for some good interpretation and fun. It certainly tests out my stamina and I am usually cream crackered after dancing to it.

I love the Bongo Song! Love to lead it - used to love to spin Jamie to it - but also love following it too!!! Mind you I am a high energy kinda girl... bounce bounce bounce

Commercial Operator

Personally, I love to dance to this track...

David Y gave a good break down. Even the "monotonous2 bits aren't actully that monotonous, either. With the option of dancing to the drums or the de-de, de-de low keyboard part, etc...

If U'r struggling to find something muscal within this track, it might be worth looking a where ur own musicality is, where ur listening skaills are at, and ow U actually break a track down. If it's just that U don't like it, that's a different view. But to say there's nothing in here to get a grip of musically, is to display ur own ignorance...

Sandstorm, I LOVE Another one is "Children" by Robert Miles. It's even more repetative than the other two, BUT... the production values are incredible, the bass tones, the nuances within the layers underneath, and the actual riff U can play around with, too...

(off to find the CD to rip, now....)

Yech. Bleagh.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    More generally I am interested in the views of some people about repetition in tracks. I have long listened (and continue to listen) to a lot of dance music - deep house, techno, etc - much of which is built around the power of the repetitive groove.
    It's easy to trance out to repetative beats.That why they make the music that way.

but others seem to think that only songs with strong melody and or rhythm changes are good dancefloor fodder. Maybe the musical requirements for solo and partner dancing differ?
    [/quote] It's quite possible to trance out to any type of music provided it "does it for you". Happens to me when MJ'ing with a partner. You just don't always know you have until the end sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Yech. Bleagh.

Do you have a cold? Bless you!

Elaine

Great track. So much stuff you can do with it. It's a bit like a musical roller-coaster ride. Great fun. However, like a lot of good tracks it has been a bit overplayed over the years.

M

Had a great dance to it on Saturday with Sheena. Marvellous.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

On the contrary... for every great one, there is a pants one...

On relistening to "Don't U Want Me" by Felix(Hooj mix), I thought YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but, erm.... it doesn't really work on a floor. BUT, can't take it away from Children, Sandstorm or Bongo Song (to which I had a great dance with Firefly on Sat).

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    ... Bongo Song (to which I had a great dance with Firefly on Sat).
    Ooh, thanks!

I actually thought of you too when I read this thread

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    I actually thought of you too when I read this thread
    U wanna come and play on my bongos??

U wanna come and play on my bongos??
    :shakesheadandrollseyessmiley:

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    :shakesheadandrollseyessmiley:
    OK... it's been soooooooooooooooooo long, they're more like timpani. But there's no need to be like that

Commercial Operator

On the contrary... for every great one, there is a pants one...

On relistening to "Don't U Want Me" by Felix(Hooj mix), I thought YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but, erm.... it doesn't really work on a floor. BUT, can't take it away from Children, Sandstorm or Bongo Song (to which I had a great dance with Firefly on Sat).
    MMMMMMMM Camber Jive Time many years ago Mr "Sandstorm" DJ, the track that people then said wouldnt work in modern jive, he proved it would and still a great track!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Depends on my mood - had some fun dances to it (usually with Drathzel!) but sometimes it makes me want to run and hide.
    This is one of those tracks I can really enjoy, if I'm in the mood for it and have the right partner!

Thread Information