37 71.15%
  • I Love it and False Pretzil

1 1.92%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bongo Song

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The Bongo Song

I dont get why people like the Bongo Song by Safri Duo. ( )

It's one of those songs I hear that makes me get a drink/go to the loos/ go home.

It fails me on several points.

1) It has no lyrics and is pretty much the same all the way through leaving no chance for musicality.

2) If I do get dragged up to dance to it, I get kicked, elbowed, bumped in to by over enthusiastic dancers trying to keep up the pace.

3) the men that like dancing to it all seem to be the type that are saying "Look at me. Im Crazy dancing to a crazy song. Mad I am." They are the same men that false pretzil and then stick their tounge out as if to say "I fooled you, ha ha ha".

4) It is a novalty song. I dont want to dance to Mr Blobby, Crazy Frog or this.

5) In most venues it just echos leaving a big messy sound of drums.

6) It is normally followed by Stuck on You, Chilli Cha Cha, Now I can Dance or whatever song is next on the "Now Modern Jive Vol.1" cd the DJ is playing

Am I the only one who is reduced to tears sobbing "why play this?" every time it is on or am I just missing the point of the song?

Re: The Bongo Song

I love this song. I don't have to think about moving, the body just goes of its own accord. I think the beat taps into a subliminal part of my brain.

Admittedly, I do find the quick phrases at the start of the track a bit of a challenge because of the gaps.

Daisy

(A Sublime Little Flower)

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I love it! It's got loads of energy and I always want to dance to it.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I rather like this song. It's not in my personal "must dance to" song list, but I more love it than hate it.

A couple of years ago at Southport I had a dance to this song with a girl, who afterwards said, "That was the best dance I've ever had to that song".

I think it has enough interesting things in it to play with, and have a fun dance.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    1) It has no lyrics and is pretty much the same all the way through leaving no chance for musicality.

Maybe you haven't heard it on a good sound system because it slows right down at one point.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I have heard it over and over and over at so many venues and freestyles. Does my head in.

There are quite a few songs that grate on my nerves.

There are 2 where I actually have to leave the room - can't bear to hear them.

Then there are some which I can stand hearing, but can't bear to dance to and try to look busy, in case I'm asked to dance to it -which is a possibility as lots of other dancers are trying to look busy too.
    Last edited by Astro; 10th-April-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Commercial Operator

It's one of those songs I hear that makes me get a drink/go to the loos/ go home.

It fails me on several points.

2) If I do get dragged up to dance to it, I get kicked, elbowed, bumped in to by over enthusiastic dancers trying to keep up the pace.

3) the men that like dancing to it all seem to be the type that are saying "Look at me. Im Crazy dancing to a crazy song. Mad I am." They are the same men that false pretzil and then stick their tounge out as if to say "I fooled you, ha ha ha".

4) It is a novalty song. I dont want to dance to Mr Blobby, Crazy Frog or this.

6) It is normally followed by Stuck on You, Chilli Cha Cha, Now I can Dance or whatever song is next on the "Now Modern Jive Vol.1" cd the DJ is playing

Am I the only one who is reduced to tears sobbing "why play this?" every time it is on or am I just missing the point of the song?
    what sad email..... about your hate for this track, yes I didnt get it at 1st but what floor filler at many places, but if this isnt you cup of tea, then its isnt but to compare it with Mr Blooby????
    Gets a lot of people up dancing though, whether you like it of not?
    Is not a DJ paid to get the majority of the people dancing
    Yes it shouldnt be played every night!

Stuck on You--- now I wonder who played that 1st!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Maybe you haven't heard it on a good sound system because it slows right down at one point.
    and what great section two.

Ive been watching a group rehearse this for a competition playing all sorts of items from tin cans and containers to strips of metal to reproduce that sounds. Ive lost count times we have broken the track down for the kids.
    The slow is around 1.56mins

Now if you want fun try the extended version, make sure you have a good partner!!

Commercial Operator

I'd much rather not dance to it. Ever. Again. Does nothing for me, and if someone asks me to dance to it, I'll usually ask for a postponement to the next track...

I do like the opening, as it has some fun rhythms to play with, sometimes when the track comes on I start off wondering why I thought so little of it... but then....
    that. mon. ot. on. ous. beat. takes. ov. er. the. whole. track. and. drowns. out. all. the. in. ter. est. ing. stuff.

And I start to hate it all over again

I voted I love it because as a DJ its probably the most asked for song..... And it never fails to fill a floor.

Also on the right sound system its a great sounding track.

Personally im bored to with it.

DJ Chrisu

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post
    I voted I love it because as a DJ its probably the most asked for song..... And it never fails to fill a floor.

Also on the right sound system its a great sounding track.

Personally im bored to with it.

DJ Chrisu
    Isnt it great we have so much choice of music and what we like and what we dont like is just our personal tastes

I don't like to dance to it and never have done.

Spiky

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I do like the opening, as it has some fun rhythms to play with, sometimes when the track comes on I start off wondering why I thought so little of it... but then....
    that. mon. ot. on. ous. beat. takes. ov. er. the. whole. track. and. drowns. out. all. the. in. ter. est. ing. stuff.
    Like many tracks, it would be much improved by cutting out a minute of the 'boring stuff'. But listening through to it just now, the 'monotonous beat' sections aren't actually that long - they obviously feel longer when you're dancing.

What do you think of Sandstorm (Darude)? Rationally, I feel I should hate it - it's incredibly repetitive and monotonous. And yet...

I'm forced to the conclusion I'll put up with a lot if the track has a couple of really nice breaks.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    What do you think of Sandstorm (Darude)? Rationally, I feel I should hate it - it's incredibly repetitive and monotonous. And yet...
    You're absolutely right - I haven't heard Sandstorm in literally years, but I've always liked it. Hard to say what the difference is there. I'll have a quick listen.

[5 minutes later]

OK - and this has to be purely subjective - in Bongos, it feels to me like they took some interesting drum rhythms, then drowned 'em out with electronica. With Sandstorm, above the dull-as-ditchwater drum beat, they've used the synths to layer some quite nice rhythmic contributions on top - OK so they're not the most sophisticated in the world, but they are quite compelling in a dance.

Plus the fact that it has that kind of slightly exultant synth feel, which I seem to be a sucker for. Like in Encore une Fois or Encore Le Disc Jockey all them years ago... (seems I can quite enjoy some thumpthumpthump songs after all )

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    i always play it at freestyles as it gets everyone going

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    ......also by dancing to it I don't have to think of Sticky Vicky's Sexy Magic Show ........ its her theme tune

I must say I like this song.

But this is exactly what dancing is all about.

The differences of opinion on a whole range of subjects is what makes it all worth while.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

It's overplayed now, but I love it to.

It one of those rare songs that has real heart pumping pace/beat, and nice slow bits together.
    That opens up the contrast element and anybody who says this song has no musicality possibilities is not right IMO. It's loaded with them.

Great song.

The Dashing Moderator

I have to admit I like this too. I can't comment on the inadequacies of your local sound system, or the other dancers in your area, but musically I think there are interesting points.

For instance, based on the timings in the YouTube clip:
    • Breaks near the start at 20 and 34 seconds
    • Big change of style at around 49 seconds (where you can hit a break on the change, and then do more gentle moves (eg. gentle swaying in close hold) but gradually build up back to more active dancing as it gets up to full volume at around 1:17)
    • The bit starting around 2:00 (when you have alternating high drums/low drums/high low drums repeating in a sequence) is suitable for a couple of cycles of repetitive alternating moves like comb yourself/comb your partner etc..
    • And there's a break at the end to hit.
    I've heard many tracks with much less to play with musically.
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information