Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Metro Jive Masters video

Thumbs up Ceroc Metro Jive Masters video

I'd just like to say that the Jive Masters video plopped through my letter box at the W/E and it's so nice to see what I missed and to put faces to names. I must go to all the wrong places as I've never seen any of these dancers in the flesh.

I thought that Nicky and Robert were worthy winners and I loved their performance in the final. But I was disappointed that Lorna and Rob didn't make it to the final. So stylish and a joy to watch. Wish my arms were as lovely and elegant as Lorna's and I'd love to know where she bought her sexy top.

Now I have to go and watch the semis 2 more times as it's not possible to watch all 3 couples at once and appreciate their performances.

Daisy Chain

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Big thankyou to Adam - got my copy of the Jive Masters Video (do you think this is a good time to mention it Adam? ) from Franck, at the Dunblane Glitter party

It's BRILLIANT!

So much good stuff to watch, all those heats, wow!
    And, I agree Daisy - it's great to be able to watch one couple in the semis and then rewind and watch the others.

Quite honestly, the best dance competition video I've got

If you haven't ordered one yet - why?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Yep Got to agree with that.

The video is simply superb. The quality is yet unmatched in my video collection.

The speed at which Adam sent it out is unbelievable too. I must have only posted the cheque 6 or 7 days before receiving the video.

Fantastic!

The Forum Legend
    I only got a quick look at certain parts of the video, before it was heinously stolen from me (well, before I lent it to Lisa anyhow).

From what I saw, it looks really good, and I can't wait to watch it all again. Many times

So... any details yet on how the competition will be running this year Adam?

Steve

Great video. Enjoyed it very much.
    Next time how about competitors picking what genre of music they dance to. Its a bit unfortuntate in terms of dance performance when you get great lindy hop dancers making a flaky attempt at pop music, or vice versa. If people could pick a genre then the overall performances would all be better.
    Last edited by JamesGeary; 1st-January-2004 at 12:04 PM.

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by JamesGeary
    Great video. Enjoyed it very much.
    Next time how about competitors picking what genre of music they dance to. Its a bit unfortuntate in terms of dance performance when you get great lindy hop dancers making a flaky attempt at pop music, or vice versa. If people could pick a genre then the overall performances would all be better.
    But then it wouldn't be a 'Jive' Masters. It would be a 'Dance' Masters.

Which I'm not against. But you would have to change the title....

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    But then it wouldn't be a 'Jive' Masters. It would be a 'Dance' Masters.
    So you should only play "jive" music at the "jive masters" then?

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Gadget
    So you should only play "jive" music at the "jive masters" then?
    Define "jive" music please.

Then bear in mind that if you ask the next person, they'll probably have a different definition!

Repeat with 3 more people, until you have 5 almost totally different definitions!

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Define "jive" music please.
    From a musical point of view it's still quite hard, but you could exclude pop, blues, country, alternate, ... which are just as valid to dance Modern Jive to.

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Gadget
    From a musical point of view it's still quite hard
    Hard? I'd say it's impossible. Since you can dance jive to just about any music (although, some tracks are a lot more preferable to dance to than others), and everybody has their own personal taste. Pity the poor DJs

Steve

B.T.C.

Re: Ceroc Metro Jive Masters video

Originally posted by Daisy Chain

I thought that Nicky and Robert were worthy winners and I loved their performance in the final.

Now I have to go and watch the semis 2 more times as it's not possible to watch all 3 couples at once and appreciate their performances.

Daisy Chain
    Just seen the video myself and I know there was quite a bit of discussion after the comp and disagreement over the winners but I have to say that with no axe to grind - and not knowing some of the competitiors - I thought Nicky and Robert were the best on the day. From what I had read on the forum I had expected a lot of flashy moves and little interpretation but I thought they had a great balance of really good moves and musical interpretation.

If none of the Scottish ( or Scottish based dancers ) were going to win then I think N & R clearly were the deserved winners.
    Some really good dancing throughout though and a good video.

I have to agree that it's a superb video. It's so good to be able to watch all the couples individually and be able to see everything.

And everyone on it, without exception, looks to be dancing even better than I'd remembered. I'd rembered comments, for example, from James Geary about how he didn't feel he'd done well in the fast track. But looking back at him and Kate on the video, they look superb. Such a shame they couldn't make it to the final.

Do you know who is my favourite discovery of all from the JiveMasters - I mean, of the people I didn't know? Rena's partner. Was he called Mark? That guy is super-capital C-Cooool!! He's just brilliant to watch. Very clever dancing. I thought he and Rena were fantastic to watch - ok, they made some mistakes but so what?! They made it look so much fun. If I didn't dance before, they definitely would have convinced me to start!
    Rachel

B.T.C.
    Watched most of the video again and interesting how having time can change how and what you see. The first time round I'd have agreed more or less with the final places but seeing it again I would still have placed Nikky and Robert first but would have changed a few of the other places and even the finalists.

Although as Gadget and Steve have indicated thta it's almost impossible to say what modern jive is, tehre were a few couples who seemed to be doing lindy all the way through rather than jive. I know a lot of moves are similar but I thought they were different types of dance so I'd have marked down anyone who wasn't 'jiving'.

Also realised that one couple who I thought were very good completely ignored the lyrics and tempo of the slow song while at least two others did the 'set' moves I've seem them do before - almost in the same order in each round.

I think this points to how difficult it is to judge. It's very much about impression although it's pretty clear who is and isn't a very good dancer but interestingly most of the best men did very little ( or appeared to) while others seemed to be doing too much and struggling a little bit.

Some great variety in styles though and some lovley dancing.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Personally I thought Amir was the clear winner. I agree with Rachel though - that guy Mark was good

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Personally I thought Amir was the clear winner. I agree with Rachel though - that guy Mark was good
    Think I would have placed Amir just behind Nikky and Robert but no doubting his style or ability but the difference in opinion just shows how difficult it is to judge because we all see things a little differently or prefer slightly different styles.

Commercial Operator
    The only point i would like to add is that local support and how each couple were introduced did seem rather biased this is not sour grapes just the comments that i have heard and felt myself.
    Im still waiting for the video so have not seen it myself but would love to try again for all the gripes

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Simon r
    The only point i would like to add is that local support and how each couple were introduced did seem rather biased this is not sour grapes just the comments that i have heard and felt myself.
    Im still waiting for the video so have not seen it myself but would love to try again for all the gripes

The video didn't have very much of the introduciton so difficult to say but I could only hear one name being shouted from the audience but can't remember if it was for Simon or not. Were there two Simons in the heats???

Commercial Operator
    yep there was simon selman and me some say the more attractive one not that i would

Hurrah!!

I finally got my copy of the video last night. My 20 month old just loves it. Mind you she keeps calling Franck 'daddy', (not least for Franck - T) and that is worrying!

Was great to finally put the faces to all the names that I have been hearing over the past few years and relieved to see that we weren't as bad as we thought we were on the day, eh Franck?

Having watched it again I still think that Rob May should have gone through to the final - wonderful musical interpretation, mind you he is a fellow musician.

Would also like to thank the video production team for making us all look so tall and thin. I will be watching it with pride in 7 months time when I'm about to pop out my second baby and am the size of a bus.

Rob May and Annalisa (Guilford) both completed their ceroc beginner's teacher training with me and I was very proud to see that all 3 of us were in the heats and that Rob and I made it to the semi-finals. Hope you guys are keeping well.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar
    Originally posted by Lorna
    Would also like to thank the video production team for making us all look so tall and thin. I will be watching it with pride in 7 months time when I'm about to pop out my second baby and am the size of a bus..

Lotsa love Lorna x-x
    You do know it is in wide screen don't you Lorna

Adam xx

Thread Information