Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JIVEMASTERS is back!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

JIVEMASTERS is back!

I had this email today

JIVEMASTERS 2009

It has been a while since one of the greatest events in Modern Jive was last run but CerocMetro are proud to announce that they are going to be hosting this amazing event in 2009.

For those of you who don't know, the Jivemasters is a competition that is Unique in the Modern Jive world. Its main differences to other events are
    1) the competitiors are all existing dance champions and professionals,
    2) the audience are the only judges,
    3) it is probably the most prestigious title to hold in Modern Jive.

If you are interested in entering or know someone who should be, please email us ceroc@hotmail.com Entry is subject to you having won a recognised dance competition, or you are a teacher or a professional dancer. This competition is NOT restricted to one style of dancing. Anyone can enter from Salsa, West Coast Swing, Rock n Roll etc etc, but the audience will judge who they think are the best dancers and the best entertainers. There is £2000 prize money for the winners and a title that many have made careers out of.

The heats will be held in South Herts full details to be announced later this year.
    I find it interesting that its going to be open to 'all styles' this time..

If people do more than one style, I wonder which one they'll choose to compete in?

Also, I wonder if they'll be able to choose the style or speed of the music or will everyone have to pick from the same hat?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: JIVEMASTERS is back!

Why call it the Jivemasters if 'Anyone can enter from Salsa, West Coast Swing, Rock n Roll etc etc'

Am sure this announcement will keep Gus in posting material for a good few days!

Glitter Queen

I personally am glad to see the return of this competition - it was probably one of the most inspiring jive events I've ever seen.
    Having a break for a while was also a good idea I think.
    Good luck to Ceroc Metro with this - I look forward to attending as many heats as I can.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

How about DanceMasters ? or OpenMasters ? or PrestigiousMasters ?

it'll be good to see the return of the unbiased voting system - thats my mate: tick tick tick - they're on soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I personally am glad to see the return of this competition - it was probably one of the most inspiring jive events I've ever seen.
    I loved it last time.

Watching the 'best of the best' competing is, as you say, very inspiring, as well as entertaining!

I think the different styles will add to the excitement too ... I'd love to see a good Argentine Tango couple in the running too.

And, I love the fact there's no proffesional judges, its simply the audience who decides who they 'enjoyed/were entertained by' the most!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    it'll be good to see the return of the unbiased voting system - thats my mate: tick tick tick - they're on soon.

Blog Entries

Who would we like to see in it?

My immediate thoughts were Cat and Paul and Phil and Yuko. Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Who would we like to see in it?

My immediate thoughts were Cat and Paul and Phil and Yuko. Who else?
    Peter and Amy
    Simon R (not sure who his partner would be - I've lost track!).

If we can say who we'd like and not who we can reasonably expect:

Viktor (+ Lydia, if we're allowed to dream...)
    Nigel + Nina
    David + Lily (+ get rid of the aerials restrictions).

And for $4K prize money, I wonder if it would be manageable to get one of the US couples over?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

James Lees and Melanie Hutton

..but only if they give me my playstation back my daughter needs the dance mats....

and Lily and Me - assuming only one of the two needs to be any good

Flavia said she is not busy if I fancy a go

Donna

I disagree with the audience judging.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I disagree with the audience judging.
    Perhaps they will find your dancing disagreeable too?

James and Shiv

Ruby and Lucky......any excuse to get them back in the uk

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Perhaps they will find your dancing disagreeable too?
    It's not about whether they find it disagreeable or not.. everyone knows someone, and obviously they're going to vote for those who are closer to them, not who is the best. It'll be totally biased to let the audience judge don't you think?

It's not about whether they find it disagreeable or not.. everyone knows someone, and obviously they're going to vote for those who are closer to them, not who is the best. It'll be totally biased to let the audience judge don't you think?

different people will have a different opinions.

If your not very popular as a person you will find it biased, if people love you you will be quite happy with this arrangement.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Its not as clear cut as that, there will be bias but in general it will balance out. The worst bias would come from non-locals dancing in a local heat - i'd expect them to be worse off then the locals before they even start. But certainly in the past i believe the organisers have tried to limit this and had the later heats in as neutral a location as possible. I don't see how they can do much more than that. I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt too...if you are simply superb - you will win over the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    If your not very popular as a person you will find it biased, if people love you you will be quite happy with this arrangement.
    No you won't - if you're honest. Who wants to win when their dancing is not as good as someone elses, purely because they are more popular? Wouldnt that stick in your throat slightly ?

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    different people will have a different opinions.

I kind of agree with this, because the chances are, it will be based on who is 'A popular person,' not 'A popular dancer.'

Say for e.g

Couple A from London- have 50 supporters
    Couple B from Ireland (who are the best on the floor) - 10 supporters
    Couple C - 5 supporters

Couple A stand a better chance because they've already got a head start with 50 odd votes before others in the venue add to their score... I can't see how it would balance out DS?
    Last edited by Donna; 2nd-April-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Blog Entries

I kind of agree with this, because the chances are, it will be based on who is 'A popular person,' not 'A popular dancer.'
    I'm going hold on to the slim chance that some of the people attending will actually be like, er, ADULTS and not eight year olds who have to vote for the person in their class who has a pony.

I am not sure that people will necessarily vote for someone just because they are local. I can think of some very accomplished dancers who dance in a lot of the same venues as me that I do not like personally. Doesn't mean I would (or would not) vote for them in this competition though just based on familiarity or contempt.

There is £2000 prize money for the winners and a title that many have made careers out of.
    That's a not insignifcant sum, poss. not enough to tempt some of the WCS Pros (given the need to travel over at least twice I presume) but other prominent figures in other dance styles who are based in the UK may be tempted.

I can't think of anyone other than Viktor who has made a career from the title though (in fact, hasn't it only run twice previously )

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Couple A stand a better chance because they've already got a head start with 50 odd votes before others in the venue add to their score... I can't see how it would balance out DS?
    I think its your cynicism thats the problem there will be bias, its natural, but you have to give the crowd the benefit of the doubt - if you're good then you'll get votes - however much bias there is, its a dance competition and people are aware of that. As much as people may "pre-vote for their favourites" they will also add to the points for the unknowns if suitably impressed, creating a balance. As Chicklet says ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    I'm going hold on to the slim chance that some of the people attending will actually be like, er, ADULTS and not eight year olds who have to vote for the person in their class who has a pony.

Thread Information