View Poll Results: Do geeks make better dancers?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes – it makes sense.

3 14.29%
  • Yes – well, in theory perhaps.

6 28.57%
  • No – they're the same as everyone else.

8 38.10%
  • No – they're worse.

4 19.05%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geeks make better dancers – discuss.

Re: Geeks make better dancers – discuss.

Funny, I was pondering something similar on my drive to work this morning ...

I don't know about geeks, but there are definitely some people with whom dancing feels a bit of an odd experience. Not necessarily bad, just 'different'.

Often their technique is faultless, they can lead you into anything, and they time their moves well according to the music. They make eye contact and they're not inconsiderate/inattentive. However, I'm trying to figure out what it is ..... It's that, sometimes, the dance just feels too clinical, I guess.

There appears to be no emotion involved, or no evidence that the music is the driving force behind their movement. And, as a partner, you feel more like a robot who they're trying to figure out and make work best, rather than as a spontaneous, abstract, unpredictable being.

Perhaps it's just that they're concentrating too hard on perfecting the technical aspects of the dance ... Which I certainly don't blame anyone for, but it could be at the expense of a little bit of playfulness and fun - perhaps even laughing and enjoying it when their partner doesn't quite do the expected thing.

The kind of people with whom you think, oh God, I'd better not make a mistake, as they would regard it as a 'problem' which they need to solve, rather than just part and parcel of the dance.

You know what I mean?

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I find it hard to distinguish "nerd" from "geek".
    A nerd cares whether there is a difference between a geek and a nerd, and is happy to spend ages justifying the difference to others and why they should be called a geek and not a nerd

Whereas a geek thinks that only a nerd would be bothered about the difference. Hence that makes you more likely to be a geek than a nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    A nerd cares whether there is a difference between a geek and a nerd, and is happy to spend ages justifying the difference to others and why they should be called a geek and not a nerd

Whereas a geek thinks that only a nerd would be bothered about the difference. Hence that makes you more likely to be a geek than a nerd.
    Thanks goodness for that! (Or maybe I shouldn't actually care. )
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    There appears to be no emotion involved,

~snip~

You know what I mean?
    I know exactly what you mean!!!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    ............ but there are definitely some people with whom dancing feels a bit of an odd experience. Not necessarily bad, just 'different'.

Often their technique is faultless, they can lead you into anything, and they time their moves well according to the music. They make eye contact and they're not inconsiderate/inattentive. However, I'm trying to figure out what it is ..... It's that, sometimes, the dance just feels too clinical, I guess.

There appears to be no emotion involved, or no evidence that the music is the driving force behind their movement. And, as a partner, you feel more like a robot who they're trying to figure out and make work best, rather than as a spontaneous, abstract, unpredictable being.

Perhaps it's just that they're concentrating too hard on perfecting the technical aspects of the dance ... Which I certainly don't blame anyone for, but it could be at the expense of a little bit of playfulness and fun - perhaps even laughing and enjoying it when their partner doesn't quite do the expected thing.

The kind of people with whom you think, oh God, I'd better not make a mistake, as they would regard it as a 'problem' which they need to solve, rather than just part and parcel of the dance.

You know who I mean?
    been watching me again?

Thread Information