Thread: Giggling for Britain

Giggling for Britain

This cheered me up no end yesterday, so I thought I would share it with you all.

Charlotte Green, who reads the news bulletins on Radio 4's Today programme, got a fit of the giggles. The whole thing is on the sound file in the link.

I remember a few years ago Charlotte, who also reads the excerpts on the News Quiz on Radio 4, had an even worse fit of the giggles. She was in for it then, 'cos the teams egged her on mercilessly. At least James Naughtie tried to restore a serious tone yesterday morning!!

In case it isn't clear, someone says over her headset that the sound of the oldest recording of a human voice sounds like an angry bee in a bottle, and that sets her off.

Have fun!

(Apparently one listener, Thomas Edwards from Liverpool, wrote to the BBC: "The laughter got worse when she mentioned Abby Mann's work on Judgement of Nuremberg. How can you laugh at something about the Jewish Holocaust? It is an absolute disgrace and the person who made her laugh and Ms Green should both be disciplined."
    God help his friends and family, 'cos the bloke is clearly a pompous bloody windbag.)

Re: Giggling for Britain

Good one. Very funny, especially as I read the "bee description" before I listened to the clip.

Not quite as intellectual as radio 4 but your thread reminded me of this clip

There's nothing quite like watching folks messing up live telly by laughing at inappropriate moments.

The Dashing Moderator

I heard it when it happened - at the time (not knowing about the "bee in a bottle" comment) I couldn't understand what was so funny and I was even unsure whether it was laughter or her getting upset for some reason.

Chris Moyles on Radio 1 picked it up too and played it about half an hour later - causing Chris to muse on how many people listen to both Radios 1 and 4 in the mornings (a category which includes me).
    Love dance, will travel

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/audio/2008/mar/28/charlotte.green"](Apparently one listener, Thomas Edwards from Liverpool, wrote to the BBC: "The laughter got worse when she mentioned Abby Mann's work on Judgement of Nuremberg. How can you laugh at something about the Jewish Holocaust? It is an absolute disgrace and the person who made her laugh and Ms Green should both be disciplined."
    God help his friends and family, 'cos the bloke is clearly a pompous bloody windbag.)
    Someone should buy him a DVD of Life is Beautiful, just to really wind him up.

I still love this one by Johnners...

Thread Information