Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are the differences between "playing", "hijacking" and "backleading"?

Re: What are the differences between "playing", "hijacking" and "backleading"?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    What really annoys me is a man who insists on teaching you such a move right at the end of the track and continues into the beginning of the next track. He then abandons you and picks another follower for the rest of the track. You are left fuming as all the men have been snapped up and there is nobody to dance with.

(A Strangely Livid Wall Flower)
    That has happened to me.

Another frustrating situation is when the lead leads you off the dancefloor. I am unable to get a dance with another lead on the floor. It's harder to get back on the floor from the sidelines.

I know this old habit is a politeness from the past, but I'd prefer to be left on the floor.

Another thing is when at the end of the dance, the lead starts chatting to me. By the time he finishes all the men are taken and I have to get myself off the floor. He, of course, easily gets a follow and stays on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    That has happened to me.

Another frustrating situation is when the lead leads you off the dancefloor. I am unable to get a dance with another lead on the floor. It's harder to get back on the floor from the sidelines.

I know this old habit is a politeness from the past, but I'd prefer to be left on the floor.

Another thing is when at the end of the dance, the lead starts chatting to me. By the time he finishes all the men are taken and I have to get myself off the floor. He, of course, easily gets a follow and stays on the floor.
    I'm learning all the time.

I don't stand talking at the end of the track but I must 'fess up to walking my partner off the floor sometimes - this is courtesy of me being an ex-military guy and believing that it is polite. I can see in a situation where follows outnumber leads this must be frustrating.

I'm out tonight so I'll make sure that on the busy floor I do not walk my partner off into the sunset.............

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    I must 'fess up to walking my partner off the floor sometimes - this is courtesy of me being an ex-military guy and believing that it is polite.
    Well, personally, I think this is lovely and it aways makes me feel special. So not everyone feels the same.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    If im with a dancer that i dont know, i wait till they know me first really.
    I seem to recall that you tried to hijack me the first time you danced with me! (It worked a bit better subsequent times, I think.)

Not that I'm complaining - you're great to dance with, and a little hijacking here and there keeps me on my toes. And kudos to you for being the only woman so far who's been brave enough to put me into a lean!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I seem to recall that you tried to hijack me the first time you danced with me! (It worked a bit better subsequent times, I think.)

Not that I'm complaining - you're great to dance with, and a little hijacking here and there keeps me on my toes. And kudos to you for being the only woman so far who's been brave enough to put me into a lean!
    well i was talking about naughty moves hunny..... Hijacking, i will do if i feel the lead will react to it ok. Which you did ....even though it was that caught in the headlights look that you gave me back. Love it. xxxxxxxx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Also the more I am challenged in my following, the less likely I am to play big.
    I was talking to someone about this last night and I agree, if the lead is 'musical' and leading non repetitive stuff, I hardly ever do anything but follow, as I'm enjoying taking part in 'their' interpretation. I'm being entertained.

Its only when I sense 'patterns' forming (certain moves always leading to the same next move) or no feel for the music, that my body takes over and does all sorts of unexpected things all by itself, even I get a surprise.

Sometimes the lead will appreciate having their habits broken and it'll make them see alternatives to what they usually do.

But its not always seen this way. I had a guy go to pieces on me once, as I completely messed up his 'routine'. He confessed he got lost and didn't know how to get back to his usual dance. I ended up feeling really guilty
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I was talking to someone about this last night and I agree, if the lead is 'musical' and leading non repetitive stuff, I hardly ever do anything but follow, as I'm enjoying taking part in 'their' interpretation. I'm being entertained.
    It's a good point. However, even when I'm at my most musical and playful I personally like it when the follow adds her interpretation into the musicality. That way even if it is a track that I know well every time it's danced it can be completely different. I also like to learn as much as I can from the follow on every occasion - so much still to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

Its only when I sense 'patterns' forming (certain moves always leading to the same next move) or no feel for the music, that my body takes over and does all sorts of unexpected things all by itself, even I get a surprise.
    Difficult decision then:-

Try your hardest to be musical, and non repetitive, and get a measure of your progress from whether Lory simply follows or not.

OR

Keep to moves in a consistent sequence and be entertained by Lory .

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post

Try your hardest to be musical, and non repetitive, and get a measure of your progress from whether Lory simply follows or not.

OR

Or I could try to be musical and repetitive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    It's a good point. However, even when I'm at my most musical and playful I personally like it when the follow adds her interpretation into the musicality. That way even if it is a track that I know well every time it's danced it can be completely different. I also like to learn as much as I can from the follow on every occasion - so much still to learn.
    - i think playing is always a two way street. Both can play, hijack and its even more fun when you can swap leads on top of that. I love it although my leading is pretty basic, i do jazz it up with a wiggle or two. Men seem to love being lead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post

OR

Oooh the pressure!

Thread Information