Thread: New website design and build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New website design and build

Like many other small operators, I’ve been looking at getting website up. My previous (poor) attempt was self-built in FrontPage 2000, and looked it. I’ve looked at building using Dreamweaver or something, but this seems to be a real waste of time when web-site design has become very much a commodity, with most providers able to tailor a solution from a range of templates they’ve accumulated.

So … how much should it cost to get a simple website up with graphics, links to video and iTunes and simple content management? The pro site I had built for my consultancy practice cost me £700 incl VAT … how much should a far simper design cost? Anyone you’d recommend? Any modern-day design features that are cheap to build but add real impact and usability to the website?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: New website design and build

Im in the same boat at the mo, just getting website up and running.

I have just thrown a basic template up which was provided by my webhosts (Web Hosting - Web Hosting Company UK - Fasthosts) for now as I have tonnes of other stuff to sort out before getting a killer website up .

The route I am going to take is to design it all myself in spare time (as and when i get it) using photoshop then using dreamweaver to do the coding.

I did look at using free templates to get a basic one off the ground fast but there is nothing decent or suitable for dance classes out there, that I found anyway. You could always have a look yourself. Free Web Templates - Get free website templates and page layouts, flash templates, business templates and more is a good place to start.

With regards to how much it would cost someone to do it, that all depends on the person and exactly what you want. The best bet is to find some younger person who will do it more for the enjoyment of doing it than some company that will do 5 hours work for 1k (they do exist, I worked for one!).

You could always ask around your dancers, someone out there might know how to do it. You will be better off with a dancer doing it than someone who has never heard of MJ.

Or better still, if you have the time, learn how to do it yourself. I would recommend learning ASP as it is pretty easy to set up mail lists etc with it. If you do do this and get stuck, let me know and I will help (as will others I'm sure)

Cool Re: New website design and build

Remember, it's better to have a simpler site that works in all browsers (including the likes of Safari and Opera) than something flashy that only works in IE and Mozilla

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Remember, it's better to have a simpler site that works in all browsers (including the likes of Safari and Opera) than something flashy that only works in IE and Mozilla
    I've always been told this, but why? What percentage of people use anything other than mozilla and IE? And are they not the "geeky" types that would check it in one of these just so that they can complain that it dosn't work in safari/opera and give examples?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I've always been told this, but why? What percentage of people use anything other than mozilla and IE? And are they not the "geeky" types that would check it in one of these just so that they can complain that it dosn't work in safari/opera and give examples?
    Well, I quite often surf from my phone using Opera mini, as it's a fast & easy to use browser. And if I'm away from home & looking for somewhere to dance, it's very handy if the organisation's site works for all browsers.

Commercial Operator

The trouble with web site design is like haircuts you only know a good one when you see it.

Modern tools make life a lot easier for amateurs to get a reasonable site but the good ones still cost in terms of cash outlay and time.

There's a lot of buzz around YUI (Yahoo User Interface) - I'm really impressed by what our boys have been doing with it The Yahoo! User Interface Library (YUI)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post

You used the word percentage, and answered your own question. According to here, 3.4% of web users do not use IE or Firefox - andhere shows the worlds total of internet users as 1,319,872,109 - so if we assume that the w3c stats above are scalable to everyone (and also assume web/internet are interchangeable) that suggests around 40-50 million people are going to be really annoyed you didnt have the common decency to write your web site properly But its "only" 3.4% right ?

Its also interesting to note that the single most popular browser is Firefox Yet there are still people out there who only develop for IE6. The crazy fools.

Thread Information