Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Producing a decent dance event video

Commercial Operator
    Hi inkjet,
    I think technically the Britroc video was the best dance competition video I've seen. But of course I have some criticisms . . .

I would agree to some extent with Ms Diva's comment, but realise that wide angle shots are never used for this type of thing, as the subjects will be too small, you just have to accept that you will only catch a few seconds of any particular couples dancing, and it may not be their best few seconds. (This is why I think organisers should allow videoing, so that you can study your own performance better, maybe on payment of a "license" fee, or even on payment for the organisers video, then no one loses out.)

My other criticism is some of the unnecessary footage that is included, like the stuff at the beginning of the video, I know it sets the scene, but it goes on far too long, also the segue shot between rounds, we get to see this far too often, was it really necessary? Why not just a short fade out and fade in?

It was an excellent idea to have all the prizewinners listed at the end, other producers should do this too.

Greg

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Sheepman
    but realise that wide angle shots are never used for this type of thing, as the subjects will be too small
    I still disagree with this.

The video I have of Nicky's competition in Sydney in June this year is great. And they show the entire stage for almost the entire track. A couple of other people have been looking at it with me recently, and both of them agreed that it works well, and is a great video. And it's very nice being able to see every couple for the entire heat.

It's probably not as wide as the floor at Blackpool, but there were 6 couples on the floor during each round, with enough room for them to do aeriels (you know what the Aussies are like), so it can't be that much smaller - and you could just restrict the dancing area at Blackpool. Or, you could solve it, by having two cameras, one on each half of the floor, and either showing them both, one after the other (okie, so it makes the video twice as long), or at least, showing one half for 30 seconds, then the second half for another 30 seconds etc. That way, at the minimum, you'd get to watch everyone for half a track. Which would be a lot better than the few seconds you get of some people on the previous UK competition videos I've seen.

Steve

PS. I'm quite happy to let anyone who can get here see the video, and I'm sure that they'd agree...

Blog Entries
    I tend to agree with Steve ( ) on this. The Australian videos allow you to see all the dancers together, and this is a good thing. I haven't seen the video from Nicky Haslam's comp, but I have the video of Mark Harding's comp in September. Although the image quality isn't as good as the previous year, you can see all the competitors at the same time - something I really like.

Obviously, you don't get the same 'close-up' effect, but I personally don't much like the close-up shots anyway. Very often this means you can't see the whole couple (so feet or arms are often out of shot) and so can't get the full effect of what they are doing. And you occasionally get a hint of another couple (partially or wholly out of shot) doing something really interesting - which you can't see. Maybe it's more atmospheric, but IMHO, I'd trade off atmosphere against a wider shot. I appreciate that not everyone would agree with this.

In response to Sheepy's other point (about competitors being able to video their own performances), I think some comps (in Australia, and perhaps elsewhere) have had competitor videos to buy along with a spectator (or 'highlights') video. In essence if you entered, say, intermediate, you would buy the intermediate competitor vid which would have all the warm-up tracks, rounds, etc of that particular category in wide shot, with minimal editing. Of course, some comps (including Britroc) over here have all the rounds on the spectator/official video anyway, but it could be a possible alternative for the comps that don't. I do appreciate that the problem would be keeping production costs down. Just an idea, though.

Thread Information