Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jehovah's Witness - No time to talk!!

Re: Jehovah's Witness - No time to talk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_Cat View Post
    I do see where you come from in that i dont like the fact they sign without me saying that i am deaf. It comes from a life of explaining to people that i am deaf when they speak to me. When the situtation is reversed, it can be a shock to find someone who is absolutely a stranger to me can just know that i am deaf when all i had done was open the door.
    I see exactly what you mean - almost as though there is some conspiracy to target the deaf? As though they have a list of where deaf people live...

Cool Re: Jehovah's Witness - No time to talk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I see exactly what you mean - almost as though there is some conspiracy to target the deaf? As though they have a list of where deaf people live...
    If you guys want to make yourself some hats it's worth spending extra on Bacofoil; the own brand stuff is thinner and they don't last anywhere near as long

Many years ago some JW's came round as I was underneath the car trying to undo the sump plug to drain the oil. The shock caused me to bang my head and my language caused them to go away and not come back.

They left pretty sharpish when ESG answered the door in his towel yesterday too...

If I see them doing the rounds of the street I normally don't answer the door.
    If I don't get a "warning" and happen to answer the door, I ask them if they've made a prior appointment - to which they look a tad surprised. I then tell them that we don't accept sales calls at our home - to which they respond that it's not a sales call and mention something about God. To which I respond with something along the lines of "I respect your choice of your religion - and would be most appreciated if you would respect my choice of my religion and for my privacy". They then get the hint and move on.
    I haven't had many that were really pushy of late - but those who have persisted I have then had to be more blunt and say that they obviously don't respect my choice and that I'm not available - and close the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_Cat View Post
    The reason why i know some of them is because they also work in college as communication support workers. We have asked them how they got the information from in people that are deaf and living at certain houses. They never gave us answers, they would say that they are not at liable to say. I have asked them to take us off their list but they dont do it.

I do see where you come from in that i dont like the fact they sign without me saying that i am deaf. It comes from a life of explaining to people that i am deaf when they speak to me. When the situtation is reversed, it can be a shock to find someone who is absolutely a stranger to me can just know that i am deaf when all i had done was open the door.
    Well, it's no mean achievement for a normal hearer to learn signing. So if a number of people are able to sign this does suggest that your local JsWs group includes a deaf person within its number and group members have taken the hard path to be inclusive. That is admirable. But to utilise their new skill to target a minority grouping is perhaps a little less admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Well, it's no mean achievement for a normal hearer to learn signing. So if a number of people are able to sign this does suggest that your local JsWs group includes a deaf person within its number and group members have taken the hard path to be inclusive. That is admirable. But to utilise their new skill to target a minority grouping is perhaps a little less admirable.

. I think it is brilliant that they are using their skills to become communication support workers at Colleges as it really help the interpreters shortage that we have. But to target a minority group to talk about their belief can be scary.

The Jehovah's Witnesses do have some deaf people that goes to their meetings etc as i know some deaf people who are actively a Jehovah's Witness but they never push their beliefs on us as they know everyone is different.

I was only merely commenting on how scary it is to open a door to total stranger and having them sign without me saying hello.

I receive a lot of phone calls at work from cold callers trying to sell me things.

I've found an excellent solution. As soon as I realise that they're cold callers, I explain that I'm at work and in a meeting and if they would give me their phone number, I will call them back. Gets rid of them every time.

Sorted.

Daisy

(An Untruthful Little FLower)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    I receive a lot of phone calls at work from cold callers trying to sell me things.

I've found an excellent solution. As soon as I realise that they're cold callers, I explain that I'm at work and in a meeting and if they would give me their phone number, I will call them back. Gets rid of them every time.

Sorted.

Daisy

(An Untruthful Little FLower)
    Whenever I get sales calls I always ask the caller (male or female) to marry me! They are obviously a little surprised at this and start stuttering and stumbling. I then say "well you can't expect me to give all my personal information to a complete stranger." They normally hang up

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I thought I might watch 'The passion' to see what current thinking has put in to the story, but haven't had the chance.
    Don't watch it Barry, it's too harrowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    On the odd occasion when I have tried to engage them and challenge their views by giving a different perspective, they are not interested, so why should I listen to them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
    The whole point of this thread was to point out that I was in fact interested to have a discussion with them. You forget, they were on my doorstep spreading their word but when I wanted to both listen and then 'spread my word' they refused and just wanted to leave. I was neither rude or pushy.

Lxx
    The reason they will not enter into a debate with you is that they are taught set standard text answers to most points you would be likely to raise.

I found this out around the early 90's. because I enjoy a religious debate.
    They definately seem to be brainwashed.
    I do feel sorry for their kids.
    A friend of mine never had any birthday or Xmas presents when he was a kid.
    Suppose it would save parents a packet if they converted.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I really don't have much time for Jehovah's Witnesses. They're so doom and gloom and obsessed with the end of the world, I fear I might develop an ulcer if I listened to them for any length of time. The last time they came to the door, it was the chap's 5 year old son who started talking, which I found despicable on so many levels.

On the other hand, I have a lot of time for the Mormons. As I understand it, they are sent away from home as teenagers on a two year Mission. During that time they have to live very strictly: no smoking, no alcohol, no drugs, no caffeine, no TV, no music, no dating. From early in the morning, they're out preaching. I usually take pity on them and stop to talk if they approach me on the street or let them in if they call at the house.
    Please don't lump all religious callers as equally obnoxious. Whilst Mormons never do caffeine or alcohol, I've always found them personable and reasonable. I may disagree totally with their point of view, but can at least respect them for how they behave, and would happily give them a cup of tea and a sitdown for a break.

However JWs are just plain weird - just tell them that you are a blood donor/a close relative is only living due to a blood transfusion, and they tend to leave you in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    would happily give them a cup of tea
    Decaf, I hope

Please don't lump all religious callers as equally obnoxious. Whilst Mormons never do caffeine or alcohol, I've always found them personable and reasonable. I may disagree totally with their point of view, but can at least respect them for how they behave, and would happily give them a cup of tea and a sitdown for a break.
    I don't agree.

There has been reports in the media of girls as young as 13 being forced to marry guys in their 60's who already have 5 wives and 20 children.

If they refuse they are "cast out"

One wife was unhappy that her teenage daughter was betrothed to an old guy with 5 wives and all their children living in one house. She had to smuggle her daughter and other child out of the house and leave the state.
    You can't just leave , get a divorce and stay in the same town. You have to uproot and non of your relatives will speak to you ever again.

Cool Re: Jehovah's Witness - No time to talk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I don't agree.

There has been reports in the media of girls as young as 13 being forced to marry guys in their 60's who already have 5 wives and 20 children.

If they refuse they are "cast out"

One wife was unhappy that her teenage daughter was betrothed to an old guy with 5 wives and all their children living in one house. She had to smuggle her daughter and other child out of the house and leave the state.
    You can't just leave , get a divorce and stay in the same town. You have to uproot and non of your relatives will speak to you ever again.
    So it would seem that most religion has draw backs of some sort or other. What a surprise that organisations run by imperfect humans have flaws

In the scheme of things though, I would take someone knocking my door as a downer over kiddy fiddlers, forced polygamy, suicide bombers and rolling around on the floor with poisonous snakes... just my take on things you understand

The official LDS Church put a stop to polygamy in 1890, so most Mormons would be against it. There is a group of Mormon fundamentalists that still practise it though, but thankfully they are in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Decaf, I hope
    Touche!!!

Whoops - I'd have the cup of tea, and offer them lemonade/water. Mainstream LDS/Mormons renounced the multiple wife thing a long time ago. I have admiration/surprise for anyone who can manage without caffeine or alcohol. I guess that I could manage for quite a while without coffee or beer and wine, but managing with the restorative cuppa sounds just impossible to me!

Touche!!!

Whoops - I'd have the cup of tea, and offer them lemonade/water. Mainstream LDS/Mormons renounced the multiple wife thing a long time ago. I have admiration/surprise for anyone who can manage without caffeine or alcohol. I guess that I could manage for quite a while without coffee or beer and wine, but managing with the restorative cuppa sounds just impossible to me!
    There's no difficulty in managing without caffeine or alcohol. It's just that there's no point in denying yourself simple pleasures because a bunch of long-dead humourless gits thought that there is something wrong with having fun.

Incidentally, as well as their hysterical episode about Scientology, South Park did a hilarious one about Mormons. It has quite a subtle ending, too.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

SouthPark is occasionaly, absolute genius

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    The official LDS Church put a stop to polygamy in 1890, so most Mormons would be against it. There is a group of Mormon fundamentalists that still practise it though, but thankfully they are in the minority.
    They may be in the minority, but how many Mormon fundamentalists are there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Incidentally, as well as their hysterical episode about Scientology, South Park did a hilarious one about Mormons. It has quite a subtle ending, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    SouthPark is occasionaly, absolute genius
    I hardly ever watch TV, but I used to enjoy South Park a lot.
    Have not seen the 2 episodes mentioned.
    Liked the Gay Animal Rights one.

Then there's the next door neighbours in the Simpsons.

Americans seem to be obsessed with religion.

They may be in the minority, but how many Mormon fundamentalists are there?
    Guess what? Too many.

Here's something I found, which happened yesterday. Seems like somebody in the US authorities has finally smelled the coffee.

Though if you read Jon Krakauer's book Under the banner of heaven you will see that on some occasions even two or three fundamentalist mormons are 'too many'.

Thread Information